Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #28637
2023 Quantum KW29

Just joined the forum. We have been motorhome owners in the past but have always owned diesels and we haven't owned a Ford based gas unit before for many years. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure are answered elsewhere in this forum if I look long enough so forgive me for being lazy.

How is the new V-8 on torque and mileage compared to the previous V-10?

How is the handling? This is a very important issue for me and I specifically am looking at Thor because of their advertised suspension upgrades.

Having owned motorhomes in the past I am fully aware of the bugs that most new units come with straight form the factory. Any comments on the recently built Thor Quantum units?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:00 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 27R
State: South Carolina
THOR #24783
Your unit is very similar to our 2021 Chateau 27R.

I'm very impressed with the drive train. Once broken in, around 7k miles, it easily moves us around the countryside. When we're traveling, the coach is around 13,100# pulling 3,600# of Miata on a car trailer, CAT scale data. With that load we're getting 8 - 9 mpg. I'm easy on the throttle and hold to 65 mph when on interstates.

The coach wandered quite a bit. Research led me to having an alignment done, the goal being to add positive caster. The additional caster reduced the wandering a great deal. This link provides a wealth of information. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html

I also added Bilstein B6 shocks. They reduced the porpoising caused by pavement transitions, such as bridges etc.

Finally, keep an eye on your Schwinteck slide. There are numerous threads discussing their weakness, especially when used on the heavy wall slides such as used on our units. I suggest you do extensive reading on the subject.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #28565
Welcome to the 2023 KW29 club! We picked ours up 12/04/22. My previous Class As were a 1999 Bounder and a 2015 Georgetown. Both had F53 chassis, and the V10. My observations so far...

The new 7.3L V8 is a beast. Ford has replaced the V10 with this, and they're very proud about it. It was designed for their super duty, and commercial fleet vehicles. Lots of low end torque, with improved fuel economy.

This RV is 31', my last a 33'. This one will run circles around the other.

So far, zero complaints about the handling. This came with the MORyde system, similar to what is used in ambulances. It rides smoothly, without driving like a boat (both my Class As), and tracks very well. Very minimal tail wag when being passed by tractor trailers. At this point, I have no plans of modifying the suspension. I did add hardware to my last Class A, and never felt comfortable driving it.

I'm seeing over 8 MPG. My last RV was always under 6 MPG.

I did have a weird noise that I just fixed. I put a video on YouTube if you hear a rattle under the floor, between the front seats.