Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
On most of these "receivers" the camera input is a standard RCA connector. The "receiver" switches to the backup mode based on a signal that the transmission has been put in reverse. Our Siesta had a cheap Pioneer unit installed as the head unit. My recollection is that the problem was at the splice for the Transmission signal wire. The RCA connector seemed to be fine, as I reused it when I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood "receiver" with GPS, Sirius, and Bluetooth.

Wiring in THOR units doesn't appear to be a strong suit, either.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinek.steve
On most of these "receivers" the camera input is a standard RCA connector.
If the radio is a Jensen the cameras are not a standard RCA jack; they are a custom Jenson plug.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The radio in my coach is one of the elcheapo Axterra units, no telling what I'll find when I look!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #24

THOR #4919
No surprise that Jensen would be different nor that you have a cheapo head unit. Par for the Thor course. The Pioneer that was in our Siesta was also cheap and didn' even have Bluetooth.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #25

THOR #5196
I completely understand that Thor has to build to a price point, saving 5 here and 10 there adds up in the long run. What I don't understand is scrimping on the items an owner will use a lot, like the radio/camera system and tv's. Items that are used frequently and don't work properly are a constant source of irritation and diminish the customer experience. Poor choices on Thors part lead to poor customer satisfaction, and these days customer satisfaction is everything to a company wanting to stay in business!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #26

THOR #4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I completely understand that Thor has to build to a price point, saving 5 here and 10 there adds up in the long run. What I don't understand is scrimping on the items an owner will use a lot, like the radio/camera system and tv's. Items that are used frequently and don't work properly are a constant source of irritation and diminish the customer experience. Poor choices on Thors part lead to poor customer satisfaction, and these days customer satisfaction is everything to a company wanting to stay in business!!!
THOR doesn't seem to have a handle on Cost/Benefit analysis or for that matter on the old Deming principles. Deming, in case you are not familiar with him : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

I, for one, can't see any benefit to : You can't do it right the 1st time, but you have the time (and money) to re-do it, at minimum, a second time. It's surprising how many companies have forgotten the lessons of the 1980's, when Design for Manufacturabity, Process and Quality Control were the latest rage. I believe, that the Auto Manufacturers are still on top of this concept, but many others have given up on it. Perhaps, because it is difficult to manage this when the manufacturing is located off shore.

Also, do we really need a separate radio in the coach ? There are other multiple zone head units on the market, with DVD and many other features. This seems to be a typical RV scenario, possibly because of the isolation of where the power is drawn from when on the road vs. when camping. On top of that, most of us have a video distribution system installed on top of that. All of questionable quality.
Sorry ! End of rant.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #27

THOR #5196
Martinek, I couldn't agree with you more. An old family friend was an aeronautical engineer, probably trained with the Wright brothers. When I was young he once asked me "do you know what parts on an airplane never break?" I said no and he said "the parts you leave off." Your statement about multiple radios and tv stuff fits what he said perfectly!!! The MH industry as a whole needs to take lessons from the auto industry on quality control!!! I had to study Deming extensively, he was a very smart man!