Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Help on generator

My generator won’t start in my Magnitude. Doesn’t make any sounds or try to start. What should I check? It’s 103 in LAS Vegas and we need ac in the back.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:49 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
My generator won’t start in my Magnitude. Doesn’t make any sounds or try to start. What should I check? It’s 103 in LAS Vegas and we need ac in the back.
The generator has it own 12 volt circuit beaker in the house battery compartment. I suspect it is tripped.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:46 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Nevada
THOR #13593
If you can't get it figured out, give Busted Knuckle Mechanics a call. Best in Vegas and Mobile. They also do warranty work. Not affiliated with them, just have used them and they were great.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Isn't there a breaker on or near the bottom of the generator itself? I've seen this on other posts but never had the issue so I never looked. Also check the starter cables from the battery at the generator.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
What does that mean?
Does it turn over and not start/run?
Or does it not even turn over?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #6

THOR #19682
Update

We have a great dealer in our town that makes an appointment and gets right on your rig the day it comes in. I had three problems at one time. The generator wouldn't start, the leveling system wouldn't work, and my batteries weren't holding a charge, even with the solar panels working.

The tech showed me that all the connectors to the batteries were corroded with a white acid on the connectors. He cleaned it all up, leveled up the water levels on the batteries, and reset everything, and it all worked.

I only had to pay $200 for the service via my cornerstone warranty.

The RV dealer is RVZZ in St. George Utah. I used them for an AC replacement on a 5th wheel a few years ago and they were great then too.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
We have a great dealer in our town that makes an appointment and gets right on your rig the day it comes in. I had three problems at one time. The generator wouldn't start, the leveling system wouldn't work, and my batteries weren't holding a charge, even with the solar panels working.

The tech showed me that all the connectors to the batteries were corroded with a white acid on the connectors. He cleaned it all up, leveled up the water levels on the batteries, and reset everything, and it all worked.

The RV dealer is RVZZ in St. George Utah. I used them for an AC replacement on a 5th wheel a few years ago and they were great then too.

Thanks.
A pro is often a good choice.
Now you know, have seen the results, and NOW it's DIY the NEXT time.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #8

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Thanks.
A pro is often a good choice.
Now you know, have seen the results, and NOW it's DIY the NEXT time.
I will watch for the corrosion. The batteries are so exposed to road dirt and wash, the fuseable links are all buried, and it is a PITA to get to. I just might pay for a battery check and such next spring. Since I added 2 more batteries DIY and another solar panel DIY, I just don't want to dig around in that ridiculous battery box again.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Since you can DIY:
I built a cardboard mockup of a battery and put it in every crevice I could make it fit.
It turns out that in the back of each front wheel well of an axis you can easily put three 6v batteries using just some angle iron and the e450 frame.
I decided using the 12 six volt batteries i had from my golf-cart days was kinda dumb, so I 86'd the project and built a bin for the type of batteries similar to what judge has for batteries.

So...
I bet you can move those batteries like I'm gonna move mine.
I hate that under step mess,(but it will be a great plave for the tool box and jumper.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

You sound like a great candidate for AGM batteries
Old 05-25-2022, 10:16 PM   #11

THOR #1249
Quote:
I will watch for the corrosion. The batteries are so exposed to road dirt and wash, the fuseable links are all buried, and it is a PITA to get to. I just might pay for a battery check and such next spring. Since I added 2 more batteries DIY and another solar panel DIY, I just don't want to dig around in that ridiculous battery box again.
You may want to consider getting you some terminal spray. Saves a lot of elbow grease next time.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-NCP2...shers/16213366
Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
As lead acid batteries age, they do not fully charge (less amp-h available). When that happens they out-gas more (need watering more often).
Another problem is adding water to batteries that are discharged. All lead acid batteries swell when they discharge and shrink when being charged. If a 100 amp-h flooded starting battery is watered when 50% discharged, each will spit out about a tea spoon of water when fully charged. Deep cycle batteries have more water volume per cell and more water storage above the plates, so are lees susceptible to the spitting. On a hot day when being recharge the converter can supply too much current and cause spitting. The voltage to the batteries from the charge is somewhat controlled by the charges temperature and the charger considered the batteries are at the same temperature as the charger, unless the is the converter has battery temperature probe. This temperature differential can cause spitting to the final charge moments.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:02 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If the plates were exposed for an appreciable amount of time because of low water, your battery/batteries may be history. Corrosion on terminal posts isn't normal with well ventilated healthy flooded batteries. It's usually a sign of a charging related issue.

Considering this, I would also recommend AGM sealed batteries... but make certain when they are installed that all charging - regardless of source - is the correct voltage. Otherwise you'll be going through this same scenario.