Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Iowa
THOR #24501
Replacing above range microwave

I have a 2016 Thor Chateau 31L with 5200 miles on it. The Whirlpool above range built in microwave keeps sending error codes. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to contact a live person for help at Whirlpool, we decided just to replace the microwave. I have replaced our house microwave so I am familiar with how to dismount the old unit and then how to hang the new unit. However, I am unable to locate the front mounting bolts that usually attach to the top of the unit through drilled holes in the cabinet above the microwave. I have removed trim pieces from the edges of the inside of the cabinet and still have no success in locating the bolts. Has anyone had a successful experience replacing a microwave in a similar RV?

Old 08-12-2021, 02:46 AM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings and Welcome

I haven't replaced ours but I did remove it to work on the slidemotor.

Ours has a removable piece of trim (looks just like slide trim) it just pulls off.
Behind are the mounting bolts. Here's a picture.

Keep us updated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210811_213648.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	32743  
Old 08-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #3

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Rick View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Chateau 31L with 5200 miles on it. The Whirlpool above range built in microwave keeps sending error codes. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to contact a live person for help at Whirlpool, we decided just to replace the microwave. I have replaced our house microwave so I am familiar with how to dismount the old unit and then how to hang the new unit. However, I am unable to locate the front mounting bolts that usually attach to the top of the unit through drilled holes in the cabinet above the microwave. I have removed trim pieces from the edges of the inside of the cabinet and still have no success in locating the bolts. Has anyone had a successful experience replacing a microwave in a similar RV?
Just did it on a different model, but my bolts were behind the top trim piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Taj Microwave Right mount.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	32772  
Old 08-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
We replaced our defective whirlpool with a whirlpool short model. Doesn't hang down as low, works out well. This is In our chateau 35sk there is a cabinet above it. I had to remove a false bottom to access the front screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0089.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	32774  
Old 09-23-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

Model: Chateau
THOR #24501
Success! I removed the top exhaust vent on the microwave and was able to see the bolts. I measured the distance from the front to the bolts. Using a vibrating saw I cut holes in the cabinet floor allowing me access to the bolt heads. I was able to remove the oven and then move the Thor installed metal bracket under the cabinet to accommodate the new microwave oven’s bolt pattern.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

THOR #24575
the microwave in our 2017 Freedom Elite 23H sits on 2 very thin unattached boards. They protect wiring underneath. The microwave vibrates and is extremely noisy unless we are on a smooth road. Can we put something underneath the microwave to cushion the bouncing or could we put a brace above the microwave? i am concerned if it would cause a fire hazard either place.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by acalcock@mchsi.com View Post
the microwave in our 2017 Freedom Elite 23H sits on 2 very thin unattached boards. They protect wiring underneath. The microwave vibrates and is extremely noisy unless we are on a smooth road. Can we put something underneath the microwave to cushion the bouncing or could we put a brace above the microwave? i am concerned if it would cause a fire hazard either place.
Is it the microwave itself making the noise? Or the glass plate inside? We generally put a dish towel under the plate when we travel.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:09 AM   #8

THOR #24575
Noisy microwave problem in our 2017 Thor Freedom Elite, 6000 miles.

We have the noisy microwave problem when traveling on a bumpy road. It is NOT the glass plate. We put that under a pillow when we travel. It sits on four little round feet on the bottom. It needs to have a little block of wood or something stuck between the top of it and the board right above that to keep it firmly in place. Doing that wouldn't cause a burning problem or danger would it? Any other ideas?

Tags
microwave, replacement, thor chateau 31l