Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #19181
Replacing Jensen 12V TV and mount

So evidently the prior owners had replaced the power connector to the kitchen TV a couple of times. The connector *barely* fit into the plug, and the cord would get warm during usage. Still, it worked for a year after we bought it. But now it seems that the plug is loose on the circuit board, and would only keep the power on if I taped it down, or stood there holding it just right.

On top of that the massive steel door mount never really shut right, because the bottom edge of the TV hit the bottom edge of the cabinet. So the previous owners kept it shut using velcro.

Any way, so it seemed like a good opportunity for an upgrade. We purchased a 32" AC TV for under $150 at WalMart. I will use a piano hinge and plywood to hang it from the top of the cabinet frame, the sturdiest connection point available really. This will also reduce a lot of weight! The new TV is half the weight of the old, and no idea how heavy the steel mount is but I would guess 15-20 pounds. Plywood will basically be 12x12 inches.

Pics after work is done, but so glad a local hardware store has everything in stock in this remote area of central Colorado. Yes, the plywood is ridiculously expensive, but at least I don't need a whole 4'x8' sheet!

Old 06-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #19181
ended up using two smaller door hinges and a couple of pieces of thinner plywood from a friend, and it isn't as 'pretty' as one might hope, but ... it works!