Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 02:01 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Side note... I have about 3/4 gallon of Kodak glacial acetic acid left from my photography days in the late 1970s. Most kids today would have no idea what a "stop bath" was for.

But if you want STRONG acetic acid, this stuff is the real deal... undiluted it will burn your skin in an instant.

Don't laugh, Never heard of that either I had to google "Stop Bath". I have seen that on TV movies, but never in real. Seems like it is always used to discover some picture at the last minute to solve a crime?

I don't have Kodak glacial acetic acid unless it is inside my Samsung Phone, but I have plenty of Muriatic Acid. Best way to not have unsanitized water is to burn holes in the water heater plumbing and /or fittings; that way the water drains out before the bacteria can materialize.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Don't laugh, Never heard of that either I had to google "Stop Bath". I have seen that on TV movies, but never in real. Seems like it is always used to discover some picture at the last minute to solve a crime?

I don't have Kodak glacial acetic acid unless it is inside my Samsung Phone, but I have plenty of Muriatic Acid. Best way to not have unsanitized water is to burn holes in the water heater plumbing and /or fittings; that way the water drains out before the bacteria can materialize.
After over 40 years in "putting ink on paper", I've had my hands in some pretty nasty solvents, and breathed in some equally nasty fumes. Now I glow in the dark... it's why I retired and took my SS at first opportunity.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #23

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Due to the volume and repeated threads on sanitization/sterilization of freshwater tanks it makes you wonder what they look like and where they are filling them

And what hose they used to fill them with

I have seen numerous campers use the freshwater hose to connect to the black water flush since that feature came out. May not be an issue but not worth the risk.

As a side note, toss the freshwater filter (activated charcoal) anytime you put the unit in storage or not using RV for a few days

The charcoal removes the chlorine allowing MB growth to grow on the outlet side. Always replace it every 90-120 days dependent on water supplies. Could be sooner or extended and the only way to know is test it so it is simpier and safer to just replace it.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #27589
When I worked at a food production plant we used a sodium hydroxide solution, never used a acetic acid, vinegar, based solution. Vinegar is only about 80% effective in killing the main bugs that you want to get rid of, chlorine is about 99% effective. Pour in about 1/4 cup per 10 gallons wait 1 hour the drain and rinse 2-3 times and you are good to go.

Smokeploe
Old 08-06-2022, 04:13 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeploe View Post
When I worked at a food production plant we used a sodium hydroxide solution, never used a acetic acid, vinegar, based solution. Vinegar is only about 80% effective in killing the main bugs that you want to get rid of, chlorine is about 99% effective. Pour in about 1/4 cup per 10 gallons wait 1 hour the drain and rinse 2-3 times and you are good to go.

Smokeploe
You know Sodium Hydroxide is just as caustic as acetic acid?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 08-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #26

State: Washington
THOR #27589
No it is worse than acetic acid, it will melt blue jeans in about 1 hour. And take the soles of a new pair of wolverine wellingtons in about 3 hours. I speak from experience.

Smokeploe
Old 08-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
I guess I'm a little old school and I read the manual that came with the rig. Here's instructions from my RV Thor Manual:

From Page 56

SANITIZING THE FRESH WATER SYSTEM
Sanitize the system before initial use, after extended periods of nonuse, at least once a year during continuous use,
and whenever there is suspicion that the system has been contaminated.
To sanitize the system, use the following procedure:
1. Prepare a chlorine solution using a gallon of water and ¼ cup of liquid household bleach (5% sodium
hypochlorinate solution). Use one gallon of solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.
2. With tank empty, and all faucets and drains closed, pour the solution into fresh water tank.
3. Complete filling the tank with fresh water.
4. Switch on the water pump. Open all faucets one at a time until all air is purged, and the water flows freely.
5. Again add fresh water to the tank until the water level reaches the fill spout.
6. Allow the system to stand undisturbed for a few hours (at least three).
7. Drain the system by opening all faucets, and the fresh water tank drain valve, while flushing the system with water
of drinking quality.
8. Continue flushing the system, allowing the water to flow for several minutes.
9. Close the tank drain valve and faucets. Refill the system with water of known drinking quality.
NOTE: A slight chlorine taste may linger. If this is objectionable, mix a solution of 1 quart Vinegar to 5 gallons of water
and add to the tank. Let stand for 3 hours and flush.

I followed this to a tee and no lingering odor nor taste. Seems they might be onto something?
Old 08-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #28

State: Arizona
THOR #44
Bleach or Vinegar

Just for the sheer sake of cost and quantity, Bleach is the way to go. Minimal effort. Vinegar is $3 a gallon. Wouldn't you need a LOT of vinegar to do a fresh water tank?
Old 08-10-2022, 10:02 PM   #29

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #25563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Just for the sheer sake of cost and quantity, Bleach is the way to go. Minimal effort. Vinegar is $3 a gallon. Wouldn't you need a LOT of vinegar to do a fresh water tank?
You would. The recommended dilution for sanitizing is 1:1.

Another bleach/chlorine alternative would be denatured alcohol. Camco TastePure sanitizer uses that as the active ingredient. Fairly economical too.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:19 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Cleaning / sanitizing water tanks

When I was in the Navy and we suspected our watr tanks were contaminated - filled our tanks in Egypt or Dijibuti we would make a slurry solution of sodium hypochlorite. This come from the Navy preventive medicine manual P-505010. I wouldn't think of using anything else than chlorine, but that is me.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:31 PM   #31

THOR #13058
OP has not come back...

OP has a pattern of one and done posts / threads. Most comments on any thread was two. He got his question answered on how to use Vinegar. Should I ever see a Citation owner in park near me, I will simply not drink their water, in favor of the more toxic Chlorine
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 AM   #32

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeploe View Post
No it is worse than acetic acid, it will melt blue jeans in about 1 hour. And take the soles of a new pair of wolverine wellingtons in about 3 hours. I speak from experience.

Smokeploe
Sodium Hydroxide is a very strong base, you do not want it on your skin

Acetic acid is an acid at the other end of the pH spectrum but nothing like muriatic or sulfuric

Nylon is easily melted by acids as cotton is also easily destroyed, but not as easily as nylon is melted

Completely different chemicals
Old 08-11-2022, 01:20 AM   #33

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Sanitizing fresh water tank? why?

I may be missing the point, but when was the last time you "Sanitize" your refrigerator water dispenser or your kitchen faucet at home?

I use a filter on the hose to fill in the fresh water tank, just like the one I use on the park water connection.

I agree there are some camping site where I would not connect to their water, so I don't.

Regular city water has enough chlorine to keep killing any residual bacteria every time you empty and refill your fresh water tank.

what I absolutely do, is empty all the tanks after every trip. and rise my black tank as well.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:22 AM   #34

THOR #16721
I have a jug of muriatic acid (concrete cleaner) in the same cabinet with the acetic acid. Both of those will do some serious skin/soft tissue damage... yes... muriatic is far more potent!

Speaking of bleach, I always wondered why my fingers felt slick after getting it on my hands. A knowledgeable person told me... oh, that's just the top layer of skin "rinsed away"...
Old 08-11-2022, 01:30 AM   #35

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post
I may be missing the point, but when was the last time you "Sanitize" your refrigerator water dispenser or your kitchen faucet at home?

I use a filter on the hose to fill in the fresh water tank, just like the one I use on the park water connection.

I agree there are some camping site where I would not connect to their water, so I don't.

Regular city water has enough chlorine to keep killing any residual bacteria every time you empty and refill your fresh water tank.

what I absolutely do, is empty all the tanks after every trip. and rise my black tank as well.
A properly cared for fresh water tank, filled with chlorinated water, should never be an issue.

The same folks using one hose for fresh water and blank tank flushing create their issues

Since Ithe early 60's i have used hydrogen peroxide as a refresher and sterilant as dermed necessary in my water tanks

Still do today

The only treatment our ice and wster dispensers get is surface wipe down and you already know, hydrogen peroxide

Good point brought up as the activated carbon filter on thr RO and fridge remove the chlorine
Old 08-11-2022, 01:41 AM   #36

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post

Residential water might have enough residual chlorine... it depends. The chlorine level can wildly fluctuate in municipal water supplies. After it leaves the tap, chlorine dissipates rapidly. The only way to know for sure is a simple free chlorine test... which I've never done, because we don't drink unfiltered water from the tank.

But I agree with just dumping everything after each trip. Even if the chlorine is low in ours, the hot water heater kills any cooties in our dish water.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:46 AM   #37

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Residential water might have enough residual chlorine... it depends. The chlorine level can wildly fluctuate in municipal water supplies. After it leaves the tap, chlorine dissipates rapidly. The only way to know for sure is a simple free chlorine test... which I've never done, because we don't drink unfiltered water from the tank.

But I agree with just dumping everything after each trip. Even if the chlorine is low in ours, the hot water heater kills any cooties in our dish water.
True emough, thermophylic bacteria usually thrive in mud pots or geysers and deep in the earth

Not found in well or surface water unless your downstream

Wonder how much longer this thread can go?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:56 AM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
True emough, thermophilic bacteria usually thrive in mud pots or geysers and deep in the earth

Not found in well or surface water unless your downstream

Wonder how much longer this thread can go?
So are you saying if I use Vinegar I can grow thermophilic bacteria?

How much is that worth? I have 70 gallon tank; so when I am not using the coach maybe I can farm thermophilic bacteria and sell it. My son is Biomedical Engineer maybe he can help me culture it to farm the bacteria. Step 1 is to get rid of the Chlorine and no more of that City water in my fresh tank
Old 08-11-2022, 03:12 AM   #39

THOR #16721
How many dead horses does it take to sanitize an RV fresh water tank?
Old 08-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #40

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So are you saying if I use Vinegar I can grow thermophilic bacteria?

How much is that worth? I have 70 gallon tank; so when I am not using the coach maybe I can farm thermophilic bacteria and sell it. My son is Biomedical Engineer maybe he can help me culture it to farm the bacteria. Step 1 is to get rid of the Chlorine and no more of that City water in my fresh tank
What does your son say about using vinegar as a Disinfectant?