Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2023, 12:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
Selling?

Been busy around here, cardio doc retired & new one says "if I don't agree to repair the 3 bad valves I have..." So I asked how long would I have if I did NOT repair.. He sort of replied like thinking out loud, "a few months". I thought he was going to swallow his tongue he was so shocked he said that out loud & did assure me that they don't know and I rushed to thank him for being honest. I do not fear dying, God made me & he knows I'm not perfect so hopefully will judge me for my good intentions. I've lived most of those few months trying to convince people it is okay to say the word "die", that we will all do it, and I feel blessed to have time to take care of MY treasures to dispose of so my 3 kids end up with what my husband & I saved all these years. He died 10 years ago & the same amount of money still in the bank, house & year old car paid for & that 28F 4-Winds (2015) with about 35,000 miles on it, 4 new tires & 2 front with at most 1,500 miles, plus new roof & full tank of gas AND propane, 2 new batteries. I am hoping to sell myself & do the driving since I don't want someone with no experience running over a curb to ruin a tire!! (Do I sound like a little ole lady?.... will be 88 tomorrow). So here we are, I hope someone can help me find a place to advertise, where I can post photos or information to sell, and even come up with a price that satisfies a buyer and me. If MY health wasn't the issue I would hop in & take off across country. I'd love to have a German Shepherd or Doberman to travel with, these cats (down to one) do not bark or attempt to scare anyone off. No pity-party here, just plans for the next phase. Thanks for any advice or help!

Old 01-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBird View Post
Been busy around here, cardio doc retired & new one says "if I don't agree to repair the 3 bad valves I have..." So I asked how long would I have if I did NOT repair.. He sort of replied like thinking out loud, "a few months". I thought he was going to swallow his tongue he was so shocked he said that out loud & did assure me that they don't know and I rushed to thank him for being honest. I do not fear dying, God made me & he knows I'm not perfect so hopefully will judge me for my good intentions. I've lived most of those few months trying to convince people it is okay to say the word "die", that we will all do it, and I feel blessed to have time to take care of MY treasures to dispose of so my 3 kids end up with what my husband & I saved all these years. He died 10 years ago & the same amount of money still in the bank, house & year old car paid for & that 28F 4-Winds (2015) with about 35,000 miles on it, 4 new tires & 2 front with at most 1,500 miles, plus new roof & full tank of gas AND propane, 2 new batteries. I am hoping to sell myself & do the driving since I don't want someone with no experience running over a curb to ruin a tire!! (Do I sound like a little ole lady?.... will be 88 tomorrow). So here we are, I hope someone can help me find a place to advertise, where I can post photos or information to sell, and even come up with a price that satisfies a buyer and me. If MY health wasn't the issue I would hop in & take off across country. I'd love to have a German Shepherd or Doberman to travel with, these cats (down to one) do not bark or attempt to scare anyone off. No pity-party here, just plans for the next phase. Thanks for any advice or help!
I suggest first is RV Trader, then RVT, or both. The last time I sold one, 2-3 years ago, I listed on both. Probably 4-5 times the "views" on RVTrader than RVT. Pictures, pictures, great not good pictures. If you can't take great pictures, I can't, hire someone who can. In the listing as Joe Friday said, "just the facts ma'am". Keep the narrative brief and don't say fully self contained and then list every tine feature that goes with fully self contained.

Hopefully it's a non-smoking and better yet non-pet RV. Say that but make sure an ashtray or litter box isn't in a picture. If it's a smoking and/or pet RV have it professionally cleaned and say so. Get everything working that you can and really clean it up, detailed and waxed.

Selling services such as Craigs List and to a lesser amount Facebook will bring out the most scam attempts. Be prepared for them. If showing yourself isn't possible or desirable for you, consider a consignment service such as PPL, or your local dealer but be advised you'll get much less.

Others will come in with suggestions so good luck with it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:38 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
My advice list it on rv trader, rvt or even in the "for sale" section on here with an "as is" price. Don't spend more $$ on it just to sell it, sounds well cared for already.
Just be very wary of scammers, they are everywhere nowadays.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:51 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A smoked-in RV, just like a used car, can potentially reduce potential buyers by 50%... and no amount of cleaning/perfuming can mask it. Like cat pee and carpet... It will always be there.

I'm first in line in defense of personal liberty and freedom. It's YOUR RV and NO ONE has a right to tell you what you can/cannot do with it. I'm merely stating a marketplace fact, and in NO WAY criticizing personal behavior.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:04 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
A smoked-in RV, just like a used car, can potentially reduce potential buyers by 50%... and no amount of cleaning/perfuming can mask it. Like cat pee and carpet... It will always be there.

I'm first in line in defense of personal liberty and freedom. It's YOUR RV and NO ONE has a right to tell you what you can/cannot do with it. I'm merely stating a marketplace fact, and in NO WAY criticizing personal behavior.
Correct and if you have had smoking or pets in, say so. A non-smoker or non pet owner will be able to tell and that will have wasted everyones time. I'm a former smoker and when I've looked at RVs and cars that have been smoked in, I can tell immediately and that ends the viewing.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-16-2023, 05:06 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
First question, do you need the money..."NO". Second question, do you have the time and wherewithal to attempt a full-on, white glove resell..."probably not". Buyers will research the specs and floorplan so dont over elaborate this stuff. Its appearance will speak for itself. Sell it as-is with an aggressively competitive price. Your first offer will be your best offer. Just make it go away and use the money for a grande celebration of the fun you've had with it. If you're not ready for this approach, just sit on it until you are. Any family members want to keep it alive...if so, almost give it to them...keep it in the family.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:44 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
You have already got some great advice and they covered selling it very well

The only thing I am going to add is the listed prices you will discover are quite a bit higher than selling prices.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
You have already got some great advice and they covered selling it very well

The only thing I am going to add is the listed prices you will discover are quite a bit higher than selling prices.
Yes exactly also. There is asking which is often unrealistically high and selling which is what a buyer is willing to pay. Dealers markup pricing knowing what their bottom line is and build in what they can drop. Many private sellers see a dealers asking price, figure they can get that too and find it sitting in their yard, or storage lot for a long time. To a seller it's a unique, special almost one of a kind that's always been pampered and in perfect shape. To a buyer it's a well used, probably abused, just a run of the mill RV/vehicle, that any seller in their right mind should surely accept their lowball heavily discounted offer. Truth lies in the middle.

Soon will be prime RV selling time for what you have. People planning a spring break trip, then summer plans. By summer they will mostly have the plans made and selling will be harder. Plus as the recession deepens and interest rates rise further in the spring, many buyers get priced out of the market. Kind of hard to time the market.

Above when I said to fix everything let me qualify that to be everything reasonable. If you removed things like furniture and saved the original stuff even though you thought is was terrible, put it back in. Most buyers want originality and "move in condition" and don't want a fixer upper. Those that do accept a fixer will expect it to be heavily discounted in $$$.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Consign it if your local dealers won't just out and out buy it.
You're old, you're health insecure, and you don't need the last penny you can squeeze from this discarded toy.
Last drive to the dealer lot, his crew cleans it, they deal with the flakes and liars and dreamers and title and money transfer...and they send you a check.

Gone is worth more than the last penny...always.

Get it gone.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:31 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have sold an RV on RV Trader and it wasn't much of a hassle. The buyer paid cash and I handed him the title. Now that was back in 2000, so our society has changed as people seem to be getting worse. We're thinking of selling our Hurricane and this time we will probably do it at a consignment dealer. They do all the prep, deal with the lookey loos, handle finance and title transfer. All we have to do is deliver the empty coach to the lot. Good luck.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:38 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You're old, you're health insecure, and you don't need the last penny you can squeeze from this discarded toy.
Last drive to the dealer lot, his crew cleans it, they deal with the flakes and liars and dreamers and title and money transfer...and they send you a check.

Get it gone.
Welcome back Duck!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:57 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

Get it gone.
Glad to see your back as well!
Old 01-17-2023, 12:14 AM   #13

THOR #4709
Thank you one & all for the advice (some I'll take & some wink at). I have sold some vehicles with a sign in the window in my driveway, "word of mouth" got to the right person. I figure if priced right & NEVER try to hide any fact, people will believe & buy. I did buy it to haul the cats in so strike one. I do hope to sell to someone that will love & enjoy as much as I have. I am a born camper & wildlife person & thoroughly enjoyed all the features I didn't know worked in the woods. I mentally lower the price & raise the price but in the end hope to get a reasonable one. No, I don't need the money but I've worked hard (think about it, a Depression baby that grew up during WWII) so am enjoying turning over anything our 3 kids want by just making them co-owners.

I had not thought about RVTrader but will probably go with them. Thanks. I'd love to sell to someone I meet & like and would leave stuff in if they wanted. My sons have other ideas about camping & travel and daughter totally different, so this is MY baby to find a home for. Have a few things yet to get rid of, like an e-bike (RAD) with less than 2 miles on it because it wouldn't go up the ramp I bought for the side door without taking the table down & I didn't want to do that, also a 1976 80cc Yahama Chappie (bought new) I paid over $800 to a guy that was recommended by a neighbor to change oil & go over few years ago.... and he didn't even change the oil.... such a fun toy but never made it to the mountains.

If I sound extravant, I am/was a working artist that sold enough to pay for all camera equipment, art supplies & other toys, so nothing ever came from "household" expenses. No phony here, been a great life. I've enjoyed meals with some of the richest people in the world as well as camping in National Forests with the wildlife. Sorry about going on but reading back over I sounded like a spoiled rich kid & that didn't set well, that is NOT ME. Happy camping and I will check back in case anyone thinks of more advice. I could use a few more months but don't think that is going to happen.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:24 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Get it gone.
Duck! Hope all is well.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:00 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Hey Mountainbird,
You don't need a by-pass.
My heart dr used a dremel and special tools to roto rooter my main arteries 18 years after my by pass failed.
Took 2 dr’s but they did it.
Just for your info.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #16

THOR #4709
Smile Thor 4-Winds 2015 28F

Thanks, Terry, but I had open heart 10 years ago, have pig valve & 3 bypasses, since then I've had 2 stents. But "they" wanted to replace pig with TAVR after 7 years and I refused after much research. One reason is I can't take meds that are required. If you can imagine, open heart & leg split from ankle to knee to remove the vein and absolutely nothing but 325 aspirin after. I was hoping for one of the new valves that has not been approved yet. I have to wonder if TAVR is holding the new ones down as a couple seem to offer much better/longer help. I've had a great life but would have loved more years to go camping with the gear I have now. I do feel lucky for this time to get affairs in order. "Windy" is ready to roll, I fill the gas tank as soon as I get back home, head says, "one more trip", but body not up for it. Sounds like you had some really good doctors.

Thanks for the advice to "let it go" but a lifetime of saving and working hard for everything we accumulated, doesn't go down easy. If I don't get the job done maybe my kids will go that route. Besides, I'd rather cut my price to whatever I would end up with if I just let someone else do the work. I don't mind doing the work. MountainBird/Shirley
Old 01-21-2023, 06:25 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBird View Post
Thanks, Terry, but I had open heart 10 years ago, have pig valve & 3 bypasses, since then I've had 2 stents. But "they" wanted to replace pig with TAVR after 7 years and I refused after much research. One reason is I can't take meds that are required. If you can imagine, open heart & leg split from ankle to knee to remove the vein and absolutely nothing but 325 aspirin after. I was hoping for one of the new valves that has not been approved yet. I have to wonder if TAVR is holding the new ones down as a couple seem to offer much better/longer help. I've had a great life but would have loved more years to go camping with the gear I have now. I do feel lucky for this time to get affairs in order. "Windy" is ready to roll, I fill the gas tank as soon as I get back home, head says, "one more trip", but body not up for it. Sounds like you had some really good doctors.

Thanks for the advice to "let it go" but a lifetime of saving and working hard for everything we accumulated, doesn't go down easy. If I don't get the job done maybe my kids will go that route. Besides, I'd rather cut my price to whatever I would end up with if I just let someone else do the work. I don't mind doing the work. MountainBird/Shirley
Don't despair... I've made it through two open heart surgeries... I was one of the first here at Children's Hospital in 1958... then finally got the valve replaced (bovine tissue) in 2015. They gave me a roughly 20 year "guarantee". The only issue I've had is the urge to go out in the back yard and graze on fresh grass...
Old 01-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 25v
THOR #25787
Selling Your RV

The last time we sold an RV it was a 2-year-old Class A, 31'. We used professional photographs and a 3D tour (Matterport). We created a website exclusively for the RV. It included every bit of information available from the manufacturer on the RV, and details of what accessories and upgrades we had added. We photographed the tire manufacture date codes. We also included maintenance documentation in a downloadable PDF. We used GoDaddy to make the website, but WIX or others are equally effective. We advertised in RVT, FB Marketplace and Craigslist, emphasizing that for the best info a visit to the website was necessary. We included a clickable link to the website. Over a three-day weekend we had 12 buyers lined up to view the RV. We sold it for our original asking price. No hassles, no problems. By the time the buyers got to see it in person they already had all of the information they needed to make a decision. When I get ready to sell our Chateau I will repeat the process.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:05 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Well Mountainbird,
I would love to met you someday.
You sound stubborn as I am. God bless us stubborn people.
Yes, I had the triple bypass, the leg ripped open. I’m also up to 31 stints.

I honor and respect your choice.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:47 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #17911
Sorry to hear about your heart... I have a friend look to downsize and may be interested in your outfit. The electric bike and the motor scooter too. Could you send me more details?
Thanks
Larry V
01camper00@gmail.com