Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
TEK

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #27009
Service is nonexistent

I have a 2022 Omni XG32 with 2500 miles the emergency widow has gap & about blows of down the road, near to impossible to get in the entry door. I am unable to get anyone to look at it for 2-4 months, spent $200,000 on this to get the worst service I have ever experienced.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Unfortunately you didn't do enough research before your purchase to know that this is typical for the RV Industry. Manufacturing best practices and quality control are nonexistent with most manufacturers. Some are worse than others but even the $1M+ coaches can have issues.

Some will say you purchased an "entry-level" coach so what do you expect? I call BS because even if it is on the lower end of the Super C price scale, that is not an excuse for poor quality and workmanship or making the same manufacturing mistakes over.... and over.... and over.... again.

Anyway......

For the entry door issue, check the screws that secure the hinges to the door. I had a similar issue on my '20 Magnitude SV34 where my entry door operation was poor. The gorillas Thor uses to assemble the coaches have their screw guns set to max torque. Couple that with screws that are too small and too short with very thin metal in the door and they strip the screws when installing them.

During every trip they would loosen and I would have to gently tighten them.... only for them to loosen again. I ended up replacing them all of the hinge screws with bigger and better screws. But the right way to do it would be to install Rivnuts in the door itself and then use a threaded screw with Lock-tite.

I remember the older XG32's had a similar issue with the window near the dinette I believe and Thor ended up redesigning and replacing the window. This is the first time I have hear about an issue with the Emergency Exit Window. It could be an assembly issue.

I see you live in Indiana. Do yourself a big favor... contact Thor Warranty Customer Service and politely explain your issues and ask for an appointment at the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. They are typically booked out a few months but if you live close they may be able to squeeze you in last minute if they have a cancellation or they finish work on another coach early.

The Thor Factory Service Center will do a far better job than any dealer and they have immediate access to parts (assuming the parts are in stock).

You an also try sending a PM to the Thor Team monitoring this site to see if they can offer assistance. They have been very helpful to me when I had warranty issues. https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...team-1198.html

One last pieces of advice..... if you have any mechanical skills, you will be better off and happier in the long run if you do as many of the repairs (and upgrades) as possible yourself.

RV Dealerships and nothing like auto dealerships. You will wait for months and the quality of their service is not very good. They use cheap, unskilled labor that turns over often and many of their techs don't have experience working on your specific model.

If it is a major item, use the Thor Factory Service Center. All they fix is Thor products and they know them inside and out as well as the weaknesses and failure points.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
That's a well versed response and spot on...every point. When you establish a factory service center that specializes in problems, they get to know the common issues with production. Dealers will spend days trying to figure out how it was made...then guess at how to repair it. With your coach being that new...go back to the factory. Claim it as an emergency window/door issue and they will move you up. Smaller repairs get priority as they have small "windows" of time they can work you into. Go to Wakarusa and be done with it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You didn't catch these issues during the P.D.I.?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
I have a 2022 Omni XG32 with 2500 miles the emergency widow has gap & about blows of down the road, near to impossible to get in the entry door. I am unable to get anyone to look at it for 2-4 months, spent $200,000 on this to get the worst service I have ever experienced.
Only 2 issues? You must have got a Wednesday Built coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One more thing...
Welcome to our campfire!
Old 06-09-2022, 03:24 PM   #7

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
I still laugh at all the people who are going to say "Why didn't you catch that..." blah blah...yes it's well documented that the RV industry is lack luster in QA, but the fact we accept it and are told it's the consumers fault is still mind blowing to me.

The least expensive new car sold in the US right now is the Chevy Spark and if someone had an issue with the door flying off there would be a recall and all of them would be fixed. It sucks the RV industry isn't as mature as the automobile industry.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Its ok if you laugh.
We aren't laughing.
They aren't laughing.

It's ok to laugh inappropriately.

This Contradiction:
Why didn't you catch that..." blah blah...yes it's well documented that the RV industry is lack luster ....

Well documented, but didnt know is
the very definition of the word:
FAULT.

Yes, the industry is very messed up.
Yes, we tolerate it.
Some of us intentionally from a point of knowledge. Some will soon learn to tolerate due to their lack of self-diligence by not finding readily available, pointedly presented, incredibly incredibly consistant information...PREPURCHASE.

Believe me we tolerate more than a sticky door.
We tolerate the:
'Usa made is the best stuff in the world' narrow minded gang
Right beside the
'My basement dweller had six jobs this year. He's so smart' gang.

We raised them, they're building our rv's.

Punchline:
It would be zzzzoooo easy for a thinking person to demand 3 hours Labor to fix everything before delivery. So easy to say fix it, give me priority service appointments, or I walk. So easy to say I want to spend two nights in it before signing. So easy to say Thor usnt for us, lets see the Newell.

A personal thought:
Every dollar you asked for as a discount off of sticker price is a dollar you agreed to put towards the repairs.

The builder didn't make the $10,000 you asked for as a discount so you've taken on the repair stuff.

Not a single soul here wouldn't recommend any of us selling our rv to give the buyer a discount to take the rv As Is.

You ask for a discount, you take on some responsibility.

You'll not sway me in this.
We said
I'll pay only less.
They said
Then you get less.
If 10 people paid $10,000 more...that's potentially two more techs in the service department...doing only pdi stuff..

I took my rv home and invested that HUGE discount into things I wanted changed and fixed.

AND
We haven't a clue if the emergency window is properly latched by the owner.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a '21 Spark LS, and the damn little cuss is perfect, and getting over 44 mpg!
And it because of the QC issues that customers have to be extra vigilant during the P.D.I.
It's not right: it just is!
Old 06-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Unfortunately this is a standard RV and other industry issue due to labor shortages.

Count yourself lucky that they can get you in the shop in 2 to 4 months. Most dealers are running a 6 month wait for service.

My slide developed issues in Wyoming on July 28, 2021 and after three attempts we finally got it repaired on May 13, 2022. We had to invoke the last and final attempt provision of the Warranty Act to get the dealer off their butts. And this was not a Schwintek slide. Our case involved a bit of dealer service writer incompetence with ordering parts, and ordering the correct parts.

A campground employee hit the front of our Jeep with a golf cart in April and the first available body shop appointment for repair is in October.

The issue is everywhere.

As a note: independent shops I've talked to are in the same shape with scheduling.

Recommendation: send Thor the certified letter requesting repair of critical safety items (emergency. exit and entry door) in a reasonable amount of time. Thor will react to that letter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:56 PM   #11

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Repair shop

Quote:
There are local small shops everywhere, believe me.
You just have to find them.
Much shorter turn around time.

Just got mine back in two days.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:40 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Yup, Thor sucks and people on this forum always blame the consumer. Sure, the only place to fix a Thor is at the factory, the very place that couldn't get it right the first time and oh yeah, you have to drive thousands of miles at your own expense to avail of that service.

Now for real advice. Call Thor and ask them if they will approve a local mobile tech to fix your problems. If they wont, chock it up to experience, call a mobile tech to get it fixed and move on. With fuel at 6 or 7 bucks a gallon you will soon shift your ire to a more worthy group of recipients.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:43 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Mine was a wreck, always tied up for months until I got on Thor directly. Use the 1st post advice. I had things fixed 6 months after warranty expired.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Yup, Thor sucks and people on this forum always blame the consumer. Sure, the only place to fix a Thor is at the factory, the very place that couldn't get it right the first time and oh yeah, you have to drive thousands of miles at your own expense to avail of that service.

Now for real advice. Call Thor and ask them if they will approve a local mobile tech to fix your problems. If they wont, chock it up to experience, call a mobile tech to get it fixed and move on. With fuel at 6 or 7 bucks a gallon you will soon shift your ire to a more worthy group of recipients.
OP lives in Indiana per their profile. Indiana is 270 miles north to south and 140 miles wide. (I live here) Wakarusa is in Indiana a short trip for the OP otherwise I agree with your assessment that having to drive a thousand miles to get decent service is BS.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:53 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Blame "labor shortages"...
Blame "supply chain issues"...
Blame "uneducated stupid kids"...

But guess what? Not every product seems to suffer from those "excuses"... AND that's what they are - LAME, LAZY excuses.

There's a "financial food chain" in most large industry today that no one talks about.

There are investors who contribute absolutely nothing to the project except funding... LOTS of funding. For that effort, they are entitled by law to receive a healthy return on that investment. If you've ever wondered where a dealer finds the money for several thousand $100k + RVs on their lots - now you know.

Same system for the manufacturing sector. Trillions of dollars at stake. When push comes to shove, guess where the whip gets cracked the hardest? Even though that stupid kid may WANT to take the time to cut that hole straight, he has exactly 30 seconds to do so... with NO do-overs. Time is money for a return on investment. And that stupid kid is expendable if he "can't do his job right". The real world.

Now, why aren't mainstream automobiles rife with the same manufacturing defects which never get fixed? The industry is structured entirely different top to bottom, AND it's a mature industry. Can you imagine ripping a consumer for not catching a defective windshield wiper motor on a new car? Can you imagine being told the wait is three months to get it repaired? Different expectations yield different results.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:52 AM   #16

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Take it to the manufacture
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Blame "labor shortages"...
Blame "supply chain issues"...
Blame "uneducated stupid kids"...

But guess what? Not every product seems to suffer from those "excuses"... AND that's what they are - LAME, LAZY excuses.

There's a "financial food chain" in most large industry today that no one talks about.

There are investors who contribute absolutely nothing to the project except funding... LOTS of funding. For that effort, they are entitled by law to receive a healthy return on that investment. If you've ever wondered where a dealer finds the money for several thousand $100k + RVs on their lots - now you know.

Same system for the manufacturing sector. Trillions of dollars at stake. When push comes to shove, guess where the whip gets cracked the hardest? Even though that stupid kid may WANT to take the time to cut that hole straight, he has exactly 30 seconds to do so... with NO do-overs. Time is money for a return on investment. And that stupid kid is expendable if he "can't do his job right". The real world.

Now, why aren't mainstream automobiles rife with the same manufacturing defects which never get fixed? The industry is structured entirely different top to bottom, AND it's a mature industry. Can you imagine ripping a consumer for not catching a defective windshield wiper motor on a new car? Can you imagine being told the wait is three months to get it repaired? Different expectations yield different results.
Major difference which is called robotics.

Need to quit comparing RV industry to Auto industry and compare it to home building. Depending on price per sq foot you might get a well built house or you might get a POS. And again the inspection before signing is critical.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #18

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Major difference which is called robotics.

Need to quit comparing RV industry to Auto industry and compare it to home building. Depending on price per sq foot you might get a well built house or you might get a POS. And again the inspection before signing is critical.
Just because the housing industry sucks too doesn't mean we should accept it. It's 2022, they need to get their stuff together.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
Just because the housing industry sucks too doesn't mean we should accept it. It's 2022, they need to get their stuff together.
Your right and as long as folks don’t do an adequate inspection, accept their POS rig or house and It is no longer setting in the dealers inventory you will continue to have the problem. Bottom line is dealers will sell crap as long as people buy crap. If the people stop buying crap the dealers can’t and won’t sell it.

Our prior Class C dealer quit selling Fleetwood because of poor workmanship and lousy warranty service. Fleetwood didn’t get back on their lot until Camping World bought the outfit.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #20

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Just know it will not change anytime soon. These dealers are not franchises. They carry multiple manufacturers. They carry almost no parts and have to get approval for every step on a warranty. It is a POS model but until a dealer can survive selling a single brand and the manufacturer has a franchise program we are stuck with it. A third party inspector can help avoid early issues. We came from boating and insurance companies require a survey(inspection) as well as banks. Cost about $100 a foot for the complete thing. Well worth the cost. Our last found an invisible issue that would have cost us up to $100k to fix if we bought the boat.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote