Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #2777
Four winds super c diesel- thoughts/opinions

Was leaning towards class a gas, super c diesel attractive for all the " diesel " reasons.
Any thoughts on comparison/use, etc.
Thanks
Tim

Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We looked at the Super C because of the diesel but opted for a class C gas because of the cost. So far, we don't regret it.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
We purchased a Thor Chateau 35SK super C last month. Since we have dogs, we really like the 50 amp with 2 A/C's. I am not a fan of the F53 chassis for the gas class A's and the diesel pusher that we had was a maintenance nightmare. Nexus and Born Free make a class c with 2 A/C's but the cost is up there.

The other reason we went with the 35SK is the towing capacity. The MH will flat tow up to 10,000 lbs. It is actually rated to tow more, but is limited by the 10,000 lb hitch. We are going to set up a 2015 Silverado to flat tow and we are nowhere near maxing out capacity.

We had a gas Super C on the kodiak 5500 chassis and we had to be careful where we got gas due to the height. With the diesel Super C, any truck stop will do.

The trucking and railroad industry learned a long time ago that diesels are the way to move anything heavy. Why hasn't this been applied exclusively to motorhomes?

Fred
Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I would have looked at the super c version of my floor plan, except for the higher cost.

I like the higher tow and weight capacities
& I think I'd like the engine a bit further out front.... I really don't care for the van chassis cab, think I'd like the truck better....

But it does add length, that will reduce available sites and make parking maneuvering slightly worse, but with no additional gain in living space area for that added length.... so that's a negative.

I also don't care for the stink of diesel, the clanking of the idling engine, or the issue that it's not available everywhere like gasoline is.... although I don't see this as much of an issue...
Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I also don't care for the stink of diesel, the clanking of the idling engine, or the issue that it's not available everywhere like gasoline is.... although I don't see this as much of an issue...
The new Ford diesel engines are really super quite. Had one sitting next to me at a light the other day. I really could not hear it at all.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

THOR #2366
The old diesels used to be real loud and stink. With the new EPA regs for diesels, the air coming out of the tailpipe is actually cleaner than the air going in, and a lot cleaner than gas rigs. With regards to availability, while there are a lot more gas stations, not all of them are accessible to Motor homes. While all truck stops are accessible to diesel motor homes.

Fred
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Nevada
THOR #1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim mcleod View Post
Was leaning towards class a gas, super c diesel attractive for all the " diesel " reasons.
Any thoughts on comparison/use, etc.
Thanks
Tim
I now have more than 10,000 miles on a 2014 Thor Four Winds 35SK with the Ford 6.7 liter diesel. Love that diesel torque!. I never say "I wish I had more power". It is quiet and rarely downshift on hills. It does not even slow down on hills when using cruise control. Acceleration on on- ramps is great. I have been averaging 10.5 mpg towing a Honda CR-V at about 60 mph. Very glad I do not have a gas V-10.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
We have a 2014 Four Winds 33SW and have had it almost two and a half years with no engine or chassis issues. It is extremely strong and economical to operate. We have actually gotten over 12 MPG at times, but most times averages 10.5 to 11 MPG. The mileage doesn't change a bit when towing and actually at times gets better. W have about 12k on it now and it just keeps getting better. I will never have a gas motorhome because of the cost to operate. The economy of the diesel will pay for itself over the long run. Imagine having that kind of economy with a vehicle that weighs 20,000 lbs. Go with the Super C if the price works. It's worth the extra money.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
We have a 2014 Four Winds 33SW and have had it almost two and a half years with no engine or chassis issues. It is extremely strong and economical to operate. We have actually gotten over 12 MPG at times, but most times averages 10.5 to 11 MPG. The mileage doesn't change a bit when towing and actually at times gets better. W have about 12k on it now and it just keeps getting better. I will never have a gas motorhome because of the cost to operate. The economy of the diesel will pay for itself over the long run. Imagine having that kind of economy with a vehicle that weighs 20,000 lbs. Go with the Super C if the price works. It's worth the extra money.
So overall you are just a bit longer than me
but the house is maybe a bit shorter.... likely bigger tanks and such though
and you get 3MPG better than my gasser.

I doubt if I personally drive enough to hit "break even" on the money.... especially considering the higher purchase price, higher maint costs, def fluid, etc...
But still, I'll bet that extra capacity is nice, and I'll bet that F chassis is more comfortable than my E
Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

THOR #2366
I don't think the diesels on the F550 are more to maintain. The oil changes cost more, but you don't do them as often. With regards to mileage, a V10 starts going down hill after 30K, a diesel isn't even broke in. I noticed an increase in mileage on my Durmax pickup when I hit 50K.

The other reason for picking the Super C is 50 amp with 2 air conditioners. I also like the fact that if the worst should happen and we are involved in a front end collision, we have that diesel engine in front to absorb some of the impact. I also like the fact that I can fuel at a truck stop and not have to worry about the height of the overhead canopy.

That being said, diesels are not for everyone.

Fred
Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #3521
The diesels with the 10k pulling power are really for people with a horse trailer or something they want to pull. It is over kill for the average city slicker!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
The diesels with the 10k pulling power are really for people with a horse trailer or something they want to pull. It is over kill for the average city slicker!
yeah, I don't think I agree with that
well, yes, partially true
but
for the bigger class c coaches they put the e-450 chassis very close to their limits with just an average load

My 31L for example
with no trailer at all, if I were to fill up the water and waste tanks (which are too small) along with my normal load of gasoline, groceries, family, and stuff my rear axle has met it's limit... and that's before any trailer at all is added.... even a little jet ski or similar would be tough to balance into the load.

The similar floor plan on the F-550 chassis offers larger waste tanks along with the ability to load it up normally and still be able to handle a tow of some sort....
I would have gone that way for sure, had i had the budget
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred g
a V10 starts going down hill after 30K
Not even close, you missed a digit there. V-10s have been known to last multiples of 100,000s of miles (My anecdotal evidence of two F-Series pickups: 140,000 and 80,000--that's when I got rid of the trucks; the V-10s in them were still humming along happily).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:45 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Nevada
THOR #1450
Four Winds 35SK cab to cabover seal

My cab-to-cabover seal disintegrated at about 10,000 miles a couple of weeks after the 12 month warranty was up. This admits water, dust, and bugs into the coach. Factory will not respond to my emails asking about suggested fixes. Anybody else have this problem? How was it resolved?

I made temporary caulking repairs on the road which did not hold up.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Read the warranty. I believe structure is 18 or 24 months. That should be considered structure
Old 03-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #16

THOR #908
don't remember specifics, but I remember that they were very sneaky about excluding sealing from warranties.

Sorry, I can't add anything to help regarding your seal repair, except well wishes! I have thought about this though, and how in the world I might fix it.
My GUESS
they would go in from the inside, removing trim or whatever is there to get at the bones underneath
then after cleaning the old stuff out, they would like jam some sort of gasket material up in there, perhaps with some adhesive or caulk of some sort...
Again only guessing, but I'll bet it might be a fairly easy repair for a handy person, the most difficult part probably digging through the trim work without breaking it and then replacing it to look nice.

But I do find this interesting.... I hope it's an isolated thing that they will fix. I've not read of this seal being a problem for folks at all, so it makes me wonder....
Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #17

THOR #908
Oh one more thought
don't expect the factory to respond to you directly.
They want to work through dealers
I found that once the dealer got involved and Thor assigned a person to my claim, then I had a contact that I could go to directly... and he was responsive and helpful.
Then once that claim was done, I tried to contact him for something else and got the cold shoulder again.

SO, you'll prob need to go to an authorized repair person.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I just looked at the warranty and it covers the frame structure only (excluding slides) for 24/24. The seal may be an issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #19

State: Illinois
THOR #3773
I have a new 2016 Super C, with two gas tanks 48 and 25. Do you know how many gallons the DEF tank holds. I can't find info anywhere. Also, how often do I have to keep it filled, It would be nice to have a gauge. What do you use for a rule of thumb, fill ups to adding DEF.

Thanks Dan
Old 03-09-2016, 03:28 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
In our part of the country (AZ) has has been 60 cents a gallon cheaper. How does that effect the cost vs diesel?