Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2022, 02:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24RW
State: Texas
THOR #25563
Slide controller out after 6 weeks

2022 Delano 24RW owned since middle of Dec. Dinette slide out wouldn't budge, controller buttons were available (ignition/parking brake both on)

Went down to the bay under that slide no lights, so pulled the cover on the controller board and realized why it was a bad thing to mount this controller upside down. Liquid entered by the plugs that were supposed to be on the bottom and accumulated in the top. It was dry inside, so this happened some time ago and the corrosion finally did in the board. can see on the wall where the liquid seeped out.

There was some antifreeze all over the bottom of that bay when we took delivery, but I didn't think anything of it and just wiped it up. I guess someone spilled and revealed this engineering or installation mistake.

So when I get this replaced, I guess I should request right side up mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220125_002004760.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	35809  

Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Sad to say but that looks like standard assembly practice for the industry.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I’d get a controller and replace it myself, wires pointing down. Otherwise you may be waiting forever for a dealer to do it. I’m also scratching my head wondering why antifreeze ( or any liquid for that matter) got into a storage bay.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:20 PM   #4

THOR #25563
They winterized it before delivery. The pump, strainer and associated plumbing are all above the module, so if I had to guess, they maybe left the strainer cap off and blew antifreeze all over? The plumbing all looks factory and I don't see any obvious leaks, but I guess it's possible they repaired one.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #5

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
340 dollars on Amazon I would first check If Thor will send you one under warranty. They have sent me many parts and I usually had them in 3 days or less. It's the dealer that never seems to get the parts in a timely manner
Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #6

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtcg View Post
2022 Delano 24RW owned since middle of Dec. Dinette slide out wouldn't budge, controller buttons were available (ignition/parking brake both on)

Went down to the bay under that slide no lights, so pulled the cover on the controller board and realized why it was a bad thing to mount this controller upside down. Liquid entered by the plugs that were supposed to be on the bottom and accumulated in the top. It was dry inside, so this happened some time ago and the corrosion finally did in the board. can see on the wall where the liquid seeped out.

There was some antifreeze all over the bottom of that bay when we took delivery, but I didn't think anything of it and just wiped it up. I guess someone spilled and revealed this engineering or installation mistake.

So when I get this replaced, I guess I should request right side up mounting.
Zoro has key pad covers that would protect the new controller but still let you access it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIO-7504-550x550.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35814  
Old 01-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
They winterized it before delivery. The pump, strainer and associated plumbing are all above the module, so if I had to guess, they maybe left the strainer cap off and blew antifreeze all over? The plumbing all looks factory and I don't see any obvious leaks, but I guess it's possible they repaired one.
Have you filled the fresh water tank and turned the pump on and opened a couple of faucets to make sure it's not leaking from somewhere into that compartment.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #8

THOR #25563
yes, no obvious leaks. What was in there was all sticky and pink. I'm really not fond of RV antifreeze. I'm considering blowing out and going dry next winter. I just found a cosmetic damage one sold by Amazon for $251.00 and ordered it. If the dealership (who currently will not answer the phone) or Thor (who just got a full explanation of the issue on "contact us") come through with replacement, I'll have a nice spare to keep with me. It's a matter of 10 minutes tops to replace this thing and I can see that moving it to the left about 8 inches will make it easy to mount RSU.
While I'm there, I'll loop and zip the 10 extra feet of ethernet in there (don't feel like redoing those plugs) I guess they come prewired as a kit of some sort.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #9

THOR #25563
Update: After sending pictures to Thor, they are shipping me a new controller.
I received the one ordered from Amazon the other day $251.00 no box but looks to be in perfect condition.
Very happy now. I'll install the one I purchased and when the replacement from Thor comes in, it will go in with the spare fuses and other such emergency items.
I'll send pics of the completed Right Side Up install, but not going to fool with it until the weekend at the earliest. We are all waiting to see what this storm will bring to North Texas. Personally not taking chances on near zero temps and long power outages. 3500 watt dual fuel open frame generator backed up with 7 gallons of gas and a full tank of propane. A wood rack outside my back door filled to the top with seasoned hardwood, and if it all goes to heck, we'll go and driveway camp!
Old 02-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thor sent a new one
They are good about taking care of warranty claims. You would think they would get a little better at the initial build, but that horse gets beat on this forum on a regular basis.
Glad to see they came through with your parts
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #11

THOR #20274
Quote:
I received the one ordered from Amazon the other day $251.00 no box but looks to be in perfect condition.
Very happy now. I'll install the one I purchased and when the replacement from Thor comes in, it will go in with the spare fuses and other such emergency items.
I'll send pics of the completed Right Side Up install, but not going to fool with it until the weekend at the earliest. We are all waiting to see what this storm will bring to North Texas. Personally not taking chances on near zero temps and long power outages. 3500 watt dual fuel open frame generator backed up with 7 gallons of gas and a full tank of propane. A wood rack outside my back door filled to the top with seasoned hardwood, and if it all goes to heck, we'll go and driveway camp!
You might get the one from Thor before the weekend I always had things in 2 to 3 days
Old 02-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
That will guarantee you will never need it in the future!!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #13

THOR #25563
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That will guarantee you will never need it in the future!!
Exactly!
Old 02-16-2022, 11:55 PM   #14

THOR #25563
As some of you predicted, Thor did come through with the brand new slide controller module. They advised to mount on the roof of the compartment and I agree. I'm going to get it situated up above the plumbing and mount with some VHB tape as I don't want to put screws in that area and there isn't really enough room for one of those little stand off boards like the pump pump and jack controller are mounted on. There is a nice area of painted metal that can be cleaned up and get a good bond with that awesome 3M VHB tape.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #15
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
As some of you predicted, Thor did come through with the brand new slide controller module. They advised to mount on the roof of the compartment and I agree. I'm going to get it situated up above the plumbing and mount with some VHB tape as I don't want to put screws in that area and there isn't really enough room for one of those little stand off boards like the pump pump and jack controller are mounted on. There is a nice area of painted metal that can be cleaned up and get a good bond with that awesome 3M VHB tape.
Wherever/how you mount it, make sure you can see the lights on the panel. If you need to reset it or look at any flashing light codes, You don't want to go through the trouble of having to remove it to see them.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #16

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Wherever/how you mount it, make sure you can see the lights on the panel. If you need to reset it or look at any flashing light codes, You don't want to go through the trouble of having to remove it to see them.
On mine the controller was mounted to the side and the wires were hanging down all over the place. I was always afraid it would put something into the compartment and tear the wires out. I screwed cable/wire holders to the compartment ceiling to keep the wires from getting damaged
Old 03-22-2022, 02:14 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26222
I have a suggestion when you install the new one. Being an automotive technician, I’ve seen some pretty stupid things come from manufacturers. One was the tpms control module on a popular SUV. The roof rails would leak water into the body. The water would run down the inside, under the trim, onto the module. If the roof leak wasn’t addressed, then the issue would happen again down the road. Getting to those bolts on the roof rails sucks. The module comes in a plastic bag. Neatly slice the bag open. Plug the module in, zip tie the bag closed and install. Maybe you could try that with your slide controller?
Old 03-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #18

THOR #25563
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
I have a suggestion when you install the new one. Being an automotive technician, I’ve seen some pretty stupid things come from manufacturers. One was the tpms control module on a popular SUV. The roof rails would leak water into the body. The water would run down the inside, under the trim, onto the module. If the roof leak wasn’t addressed, then the issue would happen again down the road. Getting to those bolts on the roof rails sucks. The module comes in a plastic bag. Neatly slice the bag open. Plug the module in, zip tie the bag closed and install. Maybe you could try that with your slide controller?
I just re-routed the wires up to the ceiling of the bay and mounted it with some VHB tape. (the red 3M stuff that sticks like crazy. Still can see the blinky light and press the reset button if necessary. Thanks to the reorientation, I managed to connect the in/out wires backwards, but that was an easy fix.