Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Remote Start on my Magnitude XG-32

I was frustrated with having to start the XG-32 everytime I need to put the slides in or out. So I started researching remote starts. I ran across the Start-x product and it had high customer reviews, it was only $115 on Amazon, and they claimed a 30 minute install. So I bought one and had it in two days. First, they lied, it was 10 minutes. It plugs into the back of the OBD port under the dash and then uses the existing key from Ford. Now I can start it while I am in the coach. It works great!

Note all the other remote starts I researched were about $300 and called for splicing, tapping into wiring harnesses, or a $200 install charge.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #2

THOR #19682
I just gave the slides a try from inside the coach with the F550 remote started. The unlock interface worked and I could run the slides without a key in the ignition. The truck still had to be running with the e-brake on.

One other note, this is a no-honk remote start. Nice for camp grounds.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:51 AM   #3

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Nice need to get one for our XG32
Old 12-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #4

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
2020 XG-32 Remote start

Which model X Start works with the 2020 F-550 XG-32? none of the models show the F-550.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
Which model X Start works with the 2020 F-550 XG-32? none of the models show the F-550.
I just ordered the one for the F450 and I had to make sure it was the 2020 model since my chassis is a 2020, but my coach is a 2021.

The box that came was labeled F150. So i assume they are all the same for Ford.

The easiest install I've ever done.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:46 AM   #6

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Florida
THOR #18758
Saw this post, ordered and installed. Simple installation. Works great, thanks for the lead.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:29 AM   #7

THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Saw this post, ordered and installed. Simple installation. Works great, thanks for the lead.
I absolutely love mine. I just have to remember to leave the ebrake all the way down. I think the reason the engine has to be on for the slides to work is so there is no risk for low voltage damage to the slide motors. Having the ability to start the F550 when I am in the back has been great. Since this uses the facory ford settings for remote start, it won't run more than 10 minutes on remote start. Also, if you tap the break it will kill the motor. Same as my previous F350 with factory remote start.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:40 AM   #8

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
...Also, if you tap the break it will kill the motor...
If you also press the lock, unlock, lock, it will kill the engine as well
Old 01-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I like it!

But dang it..... now something else I have to add to the eternal upgrade list.

Question for you...... is is smart enough to know when it is in cooler temps the glow plugs need to warm up before it tries to start the diesel?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #10

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I like it!

Question for you...... is is smart enough to know when it is in cooler temps the glow plugs need to warm up before it tries to start the diesel?
There is no indication on the dash-you press the lock, unlock, lock, a few seconds later it starts. Doesn’t appear to know but then again, I’m in Florida.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
There is no indication on the dash-you press the lock, unlock, lock, a few seconds later it starts. Doesn’t appear to know but then again, I’m in Florida.
If you get a chance, could you start it from inside the coach and watch the dash? If the dash lights up during the delay, then it might be allowing for the glow plugs to warm before cranking when needed.

I'm down in Cape Coral, FL and we have had mornings cooll enough where the glowplug light comes on in my GMC Coplorado diesel. We do a fair amount of cool waether camping but since this plugs into the OBD port, it should be reading the ECM an have the intelligents to wait if needed.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #12

THOR #18758
Quote:
If you get a chance, could you start it from inside the coach and watch the dash? If the dash lights up during the delay, then it might be allowing for the glow plugs to warm before cranking when needed.

I'm down in Cape Coral, FL and we have had mornings cooll enough where the glowplug light comes on in my GMC Coplorado diesel. We do a fair amount of cool waether camping but since this plugs into the OBD port, it should be reading the ECM an have the intelligents to wait if needed.

I was curious about that when I got it. I do watch the dash and nothing comes on until the engine starts. I will see if I can hear the glow plugs come on next time. It will be a while as I don't have it hear for at least another week-getting batteries and new inverters put in.

One other thing I discovered with this is that the alarm will trigger if you don't press the unlock button after it starts.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #13

THOR #19682
Quote:
I like it!

It just runs the climate control where they are set. So in the winter leave everything on warm, and cold in the summer. It only runs 10 mintues but you can just start it again. To start, you do lock-unlock-lock, it takes about 10 seconds, you hear the fuel pump start, some clicking, then it starts. To shut off, lock-unlock-lock, and it shuts off immediately.

Another cool thing, the dash messages are the same as my F350 with remote start. So this is recognized as a factory remote start by the Ford computer.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #14

THOR #19682
Quote:

I think that the 10 seconds delay where I hear the fuel pump and some clicking under the hood is where it is warming the glow plugs. My F350 did the same thing. I started it when it was 24 degrees outside and it worked without any issues.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
I think that the 10 seconds delay where I hear the fuel pump and some clicking under the hood is where it is warming the glow plugs. My F350 did the same thing. I started it when it was 24 degrees outside and it worked without any issues.

That is what I am thinking.... just want to make sure in colder temps it gives the glow plugs time to warm up before cranking the engine. I would think that 10 seconds is firing up the ECU and having it go through its normal startup checks..... like the glow plugs.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #16

THOR #18758
Quote:
That is what I am thinking.... just want to make sure in colder temps it gives the glow plugs time to warm up before cranking the engine. I would think that 10 seconds is firing up the ECU and having it go through its normal startup checks..... like the glow plugs.
I was wondering why it takes so long to fire up. Makes sense now, thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #17

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: Colorado
THOR #20053
I just received my unit yesterday and there is a difference between the model for 2019 and 2020. I believe that Thor and other manufacturers use a year older model chassis then the current model year. So my 2020 Thor Magnitude BH35 is build on a 2019 Ford F-550 chassis. When I ordered my unit, on Amazon I think it brought up the unit for 2020 and I had to search for the 2019 unit. It is a dollar difference, but I believe there are changes from ford between the model years 2019 to 2020 that required a different remote start unit. Just be aware if you have a Thor model year 2021 Magnitude built on a 2020 Ford F-550 Chassis, you will need the Start-x for Select 202 Models for Ford
meyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:46 AM   #18

THOR #19682
Quote:
Judge, did you ever get this remote start? I use mine all the time, it is so nice to start it and bring the slides in, without having to go to the cab and start the coach.

Also, I am having an inverter issue. Can you check my other post today.

You are one of the smartest guys on this forum. thanks
Old 03-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge, did you ever get this remote start? I use mine all the time, it is so nice to start it and bring the slides in, without having to go to the cab and start the coach.

Also, I am having an inverter issue. Can you check my other post today.

You are one of the smartest guys on this forum. thanks
I did get the remote start! It was an easy install and it works great! The coach is still put to bed for the winter but I think it will be the best $100 I ever spent!

I will check you post about the Inverter.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:23 PM   #20

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: Colorado
THOR #20053
I just installed the unit for my 2020 BH35 and works flawlessly. Couple of things for those that have the BH35 for sure, not sure Ford had sone this on the other models, but the OBD II port is on the right side of the drivers dash underneath. This looks to be a remote port and the actual gateway is on the left side of the drivers dash. It is up there just a little ways so you will need to feel for the bottom of the connector to find the latch to remove the back connector. From there it is a breeze. Also remember the module is deactivated with a press of the brake, not the ignition on then off.

This is a nice setup which seems to work just like my other remote starts work from around the coach at a distance and right inside the rig, so this is a great add on to the vehicle.
meyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote