Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: LH26
State: Arizona
THOR #21804
Spare Tire Carriers

Hello fellow RVers

My new 2021 Thor LH26 Quantum did not come with a spare tire or carrier. No room in underbody area for a carrier due to hold tanks take up a lot of room.

I am looking at the Road Master hitch mounted carrier RM-195125 from E-Trailer. Anyone have any experience with this carrier?

Appreciate your feedback!

Tom

Old 02-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Life View Post
Hello fellow RVers

My new 2021 Thor LH26 Quantum did not come with a spare tire or carrier. No room in underbody area for a carrier due to hold tanks take up a lot of room.

I am looking at the Road Master hitch mounted carrier RM-195125 from E-Trailer. Anyone have any experience with this carrier?

Tom

Yes, I have one and it’s terrific. Pretty expensive but it is massively overbuilt and will outlast several RVs. Easy to use on wheels/tires of any size. It has a pass through receiver with a 2 inch drop so you can still use a bike carrier or tow a car. Provided your towed needs the 2 inch drop. Mine needs 4 inches so I’m reluctant to use this. Know that using this device reduces the tongue weight capacity by 50% and that you are not supposed to use any other hitch mounted device when towing (no more than 2 hitch pins). But if your needs meet it’s capabilities you won’t be disappointed.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Life View Post
Hello fellow RVers

Tom
The second thing I bought for my Hurricane in 2016 was the Roadmaster spare tire carrier. I use a 1" riser to get the ball on the hitch to 19" which is required for my MasterTow dolly. I can now lift the 110 lb spare tire and rim into position.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #4

THOR #21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yes, I have one and it’s terrific. Pretty expensive but it is massively overbuilt and will outlast several RVs. Easy to use on wheels/tires of any size. It has a pass through receiver with a 2 inch drop so you can still use a bike carrier or tow a car. Provided your towed needs the 2 inch drop. Mine needs 4 inches so I’m reluctant to use this. Know that using this device reduces the tongue weight capacity by 50% and that you are not supposed to use any other hitch mounted device when towing (no more than 2 hitch pins). But if your needs meet it’s capabilities you won’t be disappointed.
Thanks for the feedback....mine is ordered!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:27 PM   #5

THOR #21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The second thing I bought for my Hurricane in 2016 was the Roadmaster spare tire carrier. I use a 1" riser to get the ball on the hitch to 19" which is required for my MasterTow dolly. I can now lift the 110 lb spare tire and rim into position.
Thank you, mine is ordered.....appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
[emoji106] easiest solutionClick image for larger version

Name:	20201030_122456.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	28417
Old 02-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #7

THOR #21804
Thank you for the feedback. Really appreciate it!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Make sure you measure the inside diameter of one of your existing wheels to get the correct bore hole size. Made that mistake. Use a micrometer to get it correctly. If you don't you may not have the correct wheel and will be carrying a spare that will not work when needed.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:48 PM   #9

THOR #21804
Thanks to all for your feedback on the spare tire carrier. Bought the road master and all is well. Spare tire bought, bolt pattern verified and all is mounted on the RV. Really appreciate y’all providing the info to help with my decision.

Tom
Old 03-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Florida
THOR #13725
Spare Tire

After deciding to procure and carry a spare wheel and tire for my Freedom Elite 26HE, it came time to come up with a way to store it. I pull a Tow Dolly for our car, so the conventional hitch mounted tire rack would only be possible with a nearly $600 device to accommodate my hitch for the dolly as well as the tire rack. Instead, I used a Curt Trailer Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier
Item # C31006, mounted into a Ultra-Fab 2" Motor Home Trailer Hitch Receiver for 4" x 4" Bumpers. I installed the Hitch receiver upside down on the 4" bumper, directly in line with the chassis mount. This provides additional strength by placing the load evenly on the chassis frame instead of placing the stress on the provided U-Bolts and bumper. This will prevent potential bending/denting of the bumper from the 75 lb spare tire. The best part of this besides being very strong - the two parts cost me less than $ 135.00 and took less than 10 minutes to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Receiver.png
Views:	101
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	29407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	29408  

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	29409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3730.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	29410  

Old 03-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCie View Post
After deciding to procure and carry a spare wheel and tire for my Freedom Elite 26HE, it came time to come up with a way to store it. I pull a Tow Dolly for our car, so the conventional hitch mounted tire rack would only be possible with a nearly $600 device to accommodate my hitch for the dolly as well as the tire rack. Instead, I used a Curt Trailer Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier
Item # C31006, mounted into a Ultra-Fab 2" Motor Home Trailer Hitch Receiver for 4" x 4" Bumpers. I installed the Hitch receiver upside down on the 4" bumper, directly in line with the chassis mount. This provides additional strength by placing the load evenly on the chassis frame instead of placing the stress on the provided U-Bolts and bumper. This will prevent potential bending/denting of the bumper from the 75 lb spare tire. The best part of this besides being very strong - the two parts cost me less than $ 135.00 and took less than 10 minutes to install.
Looks nice, but I would seriously contemplate (at the least) buying a set of these to strengthen the bumper to the frame.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SafetyStr...erId=101013217
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	saftey struts.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	29411  
Old 03-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
CHS

THOR #22388
Watch this video.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #13

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCie View Post
That's the same one I use. Works great
Old 03-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #14

THOR #6826
I discussed using such a mount with Thor when I had my FE 26HE and they strongly advised against it. The problem is not the strength of the bumper but its attachment to the frame. Same reason most bike carriers are not recommended for RVs. The constant bouncing of weight may eventually break the welds holding the bumper on. It works great until it doesn’t. Or maybe yours will last. Who knows? The Thor guy was the one that recommended the Roadmaster pass through hitch mount. New price is about $500 on sale and I’ve seen them used for $250. So you saved $350 but will never be quite sure how long it will last. I hope I not behind you if it fails.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #15

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
When I said I use the same one, it's the tire mount. I don't tow anything so I use the tow receptacle instead of the bolt on bracket, so it's not going anywhere.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #16

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
I have one and it is beefy. I put it on my toad as I already have a 10" drop for the toad.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
I have one and it is beefy. I put it on my toad as I already have a 10" drop for the toad.

That’ll work. I’m not using mine at the moment but thought about doing the same on my wrangler. Haven’t gotten around to it yet. In 50 years of driving I’ve never had to change a tire on the road and it seems like a spare might well “age out” without ever being used. I tell myself that’s what I have roadside service for - to bring me a tire and change it! I’ll probably regret my procrastination on my next trip.....!
Old 03-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #18

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My class C (Chateau 31E) has actually had a couple of rear tire blowouts on the road. Having a spare would have made the repairs a lot quicker and easier and avoided delays. In one case the repair service was able to mount a new tire by the highway. In the other case I managed to drive to a tire shop.

We are planning to do a big 6500 mile trip around the country this summer. Even though all my tires are pretty new, I plan to change the rear tires to commercial C-type tires before the trip for extra peace of mind. I'm also considering getting a spare but haven't decided for sure yet. I would probably just carry it in the toad.

With a spare and proper tools I could probably change a tire myself, using the leveling jacks to jack it up.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Jabrabu
If you think of changing out a tire on the road yourself and plan on using the hydraulic levelers, I would suggest also buying and using a bottle jack as an extra safety device. They are cheap insurance that may safe your life if the first system should fail.

Paul
Old 03-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #20

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Jabrabu
If you think of changing out a tire on the road yourself and plan on using the hydraulic levelers, I would suggest also buying and using a bottle jack as an extra safety device. They are cheap insurance that may safe your life if the first system should fail.

Paul

Yeah, I was thinking either a bottle jack or some jack stands for a safety backup.