Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #23084
Stabilizers or Auto leveling

Just purchased a Four Winds Class C 28E and it has no stabilizers or leveling system. Moved up from a 25' travel trailer that just had manual stabilizers. Are they needed or can you go without them. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks....

Old 04-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The coach needs to be level for the fridge to operate properly. You can do it manually with blocks under the wheels or install a leveling system.

Stabilizers are not needed. They are a user comfort thing. Levelers will also stabilize the coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard!
In answer to the question no they are not needed but they sure do make setting up much easier. With electric stabilizers you must first get the MH level usually done by driving the rig up on wood or the leggos. Then the stabilizers keep the rig from rocking around when you walk in the coach.
With the hydraulic levelers you use a key pad to either A) automatically level the coach or B) manually set the jacks. I had an older class C that we had to level by driving up on blocks and now after having the hydraulic leveling jacks I would never go through that again
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

THOR #23084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The coach needs to be level for the fridge to operate properly. You can do it manually with blocks under the wheels or install a leveling system.

Stabilizers are not needed. They are a user comfort thing. Levelers will also stabilize the coach.
I used leveling blocks on the travel trailer and the manual stabilizers, I can use the blocks on the class C but didn't know if I need stabilizers. I was told about 4K to add auto leveling.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: one way or another: you've got to get the RV reasonably stable; in order for the Fridge to operate properly.
I like the automatic hydraulic levelers. One button push, and no fuss.
(I've got the Equalizer system on mine...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
No a matter of need but rather a matter of want. You don’t need either but you might want one if you are uncomfortable with a little shaking at night when the wind blows. Scissors type stabilizers are a lot cheaper than leveling systems. If this is a used rig, If you look under the rig there may have been a factory installed set that was removed.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #7

THOR #23084
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No a matter of need but rather a matter of want. You don’t need either but you might want one if you are uncomfortable with a little shaking at night when the wind blows. Scissors type stabilizers are a lot cheaper than leveling systems. If this is a used rig, If you look under the rig there may have been a factory installed set that was removed.
Yes, it's a 2018 model 28E, it doesn't have the electric stabilizer option that was available, not sure if they offered auto leveling on this model. It's a one owner with 3000 miles, not used much but like new condition.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #8

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Take5, question, have you been out yet and just leveled it with boards or the Leggo Blocks? If you haven't perhaps a weekend out to see how you feel with it being done manually, I carry a 3 foot level and take a reading side to side and front to back, not really difficult getting it level.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I use a leveling app in my phone to double-check things...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1618939958
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level App.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	29859  
Old 04-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #23084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Take5, question, have you been out yet and just leveled it with boards or the Leggo Blocks? If you haven't perhaps a weekend out to see how you feel with it being done manually, I carry a 3 foot level and take a reading side to side and front to back, not really difficult getting it level.
No, we haven't been able to use it yet, I think I'll experiment first with the leggo blocks, it doesn't see to rock much when we're on level ground.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take5 View Post
No, we haven't been able to use it yet, I think I'll experiment first with the leggo blocks, it doesn't see to rock much when we're on level ground.
I used lego blocks for years with a 30 foot class c. After a few times you can look a a spirit level on the floor and know how many blocks are needed in any particular corner.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #12

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #16600
We chose not to install auto levelers in favor of legos and level mate. Works great.

We will be installing stabilizers though. The coach moves around too much for our liking.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #13

THOR #23084
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
We chose not to install auto levelers in favor of legos and level mate. Works great.

We will be installing stabilizers though. The coach moves around too much for our liking.
What type of stabilizers are you going to install? Manual or electric, and I assume rear only.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I had a class c for over 20 years. We didn't have stabilizers or leveling jacks on any of them. We used pieces of 2 x 6 cut to length and angled on each end. Never had a problem.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #15

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take5 View Post
What type of stabilizers are you going to install? Manual or electric, and I assume rear only.
Probably will get the drill driven manual stabilizers for now since it is the easy button and yes probably just in the rear.

The few times we have been out this season the Harvest Host spaces have been ultra flat so we have not needed to use the legos but the stabilizers would have been nice to have
Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1618957556
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Humor 02.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	29864  
Old 04-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I have a 26C Four Winds with 33,000 miles over the past 4 seasons. We have considered levelers from time to time, but haven't really found I need them. As for the fridge you will likely find if you're level enough to sleep comfortably, you're level enough for the fridge to operate fine. We have some of the cheap plastic levelers, long ones for the rear and short ones for the front. When they get all beat up we just throw them in the recycle bin somewhere. Much lighter and easier to work with.

We have more seriously considered a little jack or two to stop the jello feeling when you walk around or if the wind is blowing. But even if we go that route we likely would only use them once in awhile. I can pull in, throw down a couple plastic blocks and be done as quick (if not quicker) than those we've seen with levelers.

I'd suggest you try it out for awhile and then see if you want to spend the money. Are they nice to have... definitely, but I'd consider it more of a luxury item than a necessity.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:33 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
As airforceret said we do this and use these amazing blocks

As for the fridge you will likely find if you're level enough to sleep comfortably, you're level enough for the fridge to operate fine.*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210420-172929_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	29866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210420-172911_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	29867  

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
When you reach a certain age crawling around putting boards or leggos down to level just doesn't make it anymore.
I have reached that age...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:11 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They would get an excess slope error using leveling jacks.