Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2023, 04:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wyoming
THOR #30551
STEP switch on 2022 Omni xg32

Step switch on 2022 Omni xg32 only seems to work sometimes. Then step just stops working. Then for no reason it starts working. Confusing!

Old 09-30-2023, 11:31 AM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Check green ground wire, make sure you have a good connection. Be careful steps don’t activate.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Cowboy View Post
Step switch on 2022 Omni xg32 only seems to work sometimes. Then step just stops working. Then for no reason it starts working. Confusing!
Switch likely needs to be replaced. I had a similar problem, when I closed the door, it would take a few seconds before the step would even try to retract and then it would often extend and retract two or three times before it would stay. I finally figured out that the magnet and switch had been installed too far apart causing an incomplete closing of the switch. The switch and magnet had been installed 1/2" or more apart. This likely caused the switch contacts to arch and make the contact problem worse. When I replaced the switch, I made sure to get the magnet and switch as close together as possible. I have not had any problem since.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #4

THOR #30551
Step switch

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitively recheck the ground and clean it up. Not sure what Dan is referring to; my “switch” is on the wall by the stairwell, a couple feet from the magnets. However the magnetic connection on the screen door and door jamb are maybe only 1/8” apart. But is that what you’re saying that might need replaced? This seems to be a good chance where my problem exists. Or the switch one pushes to keep the step out when at a campground for a few days. I could attempt to send a picture of I can figure it out. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:05 PM   #5

THOR #28145
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitively recheck the ground and clean it up. Not sure what Dan is referring to; my “switch” is on the wall by the stairwell, a couple feet from the magnets. However the magnetic connection on the screen door and door jamb are maybe only 1/8” apart. But is that what you’re saying that might need replaced? This seems to be a good chance where my problem exists. Or the switch one pushes to keep the step out when at a campground for a few days. I could attempt to send a picture of I can figure it out. Thanks for your input.
The Switch I am referring to is the Magnetic "sensor" mounted to
the door frame. The door itself has a magnet that triggers the sensor. I have attached a photo of the Door sensor switch and magnet. You can see the mounting holes where the magnet was originally mounted. As I said before there was a huge amount of space between the part on the door (The magnet) and the sensor (the part that has the wires connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Switch.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	43714  

Old 09-30-2023, 09:50 PM   #6

THOR #30551
Stair switch/magnet

Dan, thanks so much for the picture. Did you replace the whole assembly? Did you have to rewire the new part? And where do you get the parts? Thanks; Joe.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:01 AM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:
Dan, thanks so much for the picture. Did you replace the whole assembly? Did you have to rewire the new part? And where do you get the parts? Thanks; Joe.
When I ordered Both parts were included in the package. I did not use the new magnet since I had first reloaded the magnet to close the excess pace, but it did not fix the problem. I left the magnet in place and just installed the new switch unit. I had to cut the wires and splice the new unit in using crimp butt connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used something like this to make the new connections. Use the smallest that fit the wiresize.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-El...ustrial&sr=1-3

Old 10-01-2023, 01:42 AM   #8

THOR #30551
Step switch

Dan, thanks for all the info. Great help.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:56 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I have found that on battery power, if my house batteries get a little low, the steps act up.