Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Structural failure above coach retracting steps

I’m seeing a failure of the attachment point above the retracting steps on my 2018 Thor Synergy SD24 class C Motorcoach. The coach steps utilize for each 3/8 inch bolts to attach to a thin lightweight metal bracket (approx 14 gauge to 16 gauge) that protrudes from the framework above, naturally beneath the entry door location on the coach. The point of the steps attach to the lightweight metal what is the point of failure. The lightweight metal is bending down and allowing the steps to spring and reflect close to the ground as you step out of the couch. The weight of any users is no greater than any others would likely see, maybe max weight of 260 lbs. I don’t see a simple fix here. I sent the coach in for warranty repair at La Mesa RV in Mesa. They had the coach for a little over 2 weeks and simply didn’t get around to getting that particular repair done. When I delivered the coach to them, I told them I needed the coach back in 15 days for a planned trip, and they completed 2 of the 10 projects I gave them. The step structural failure was of the 8 projects they didn’t complete. My question is, has anyone else experienced this type of failure? Currently I’m thinking I may have to run a supporting bolt through the step deck above the retracting steps, down through the coach step and through the bracket that attaches to the retracting steps. Any thoughts? The step is near unusable in current status and I don’t plan on being back at La Mesa RV (my warranty dealer) until fall 2021.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Call Thor and report it to them.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
I have always been leery of the steps flexing, even the slight amount it does (cuz of my lithe body ) so what I do is put some wood blocks under the final step to take some of the pressure off when camped. Just have to remember to remove them first when packing up.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:33 PM   #4

THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I have always been leery of the steps flexing, even the slight amount it does (cuz of my lithe body ) so what I do is put some wood blocks under the final step to take some of the pressure off when camped. Just have to remember to remove them first when packing up.

As a follow-up to this exit step problem, I remove the step Assembly and purchased some 2“ x 2“ buy 3/16” Angle iron and bolded supports to the original thin gauge metal (it’s either 14 gauge or 16 gauge sheet metal) that drops down to support and bolt to the steps. Reinstalled the steps, and problem solved. There is still the typical “spring” that the steps are notorious for, but immensely more stable than they were from the factory. I am happy with the modification; it works great. If we’re parked in one spot for a period of time, I also put an aluminum stand, a block or spacers under these steps to keep them from this notorious springing sensation as they’re being used.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:06 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebills View Post
I’m seeing a failure of the attachment point above the retracting steps on my 2018 Thor Synergy SD24 class C Motorcoach. The coach steps utilize for each 3/8 inch bolts to attach to a thin lightweight metal bracket (approx 14 gauge to 16 gauge) that protrudes from the framework above, naturally beneath the entry door location on the coach. The point of the steps attach to the lightweight metal what is the point of failure. The lightweight metal is bending down and allowing the steps to spring and reflect close to the ground as you step out of the couch. The weight of any users is no greater than any others would likely see, maybe max weight of 260 lbs. I don’t see a simple fix here. I sent the coach in for warranty repair at La Mesa RV in Mesa. They had the coach for a little over 2 weeks and simply didn’t get around to getting that particular repair done. When I delivered the coach to them, I told them I needed the coach back in 15 days for a planned trip, and they completed 2 of the 10 projects I gave them. The step structural failure was of the 8 projects they didn’t complete. My question is, has anyone else experienced this type of failure? Currently I’m thinking I may have to run a supporting bolt through the step deck above the retracting steps, down through the coach step and through the bracket that attaches to the retracting steps. Any thoughts? The step is near unusable in current status and I don’t plan on being back at La Mesa RV (my warranty dealer) until fall 2021.
This is probably not germane; but remember, never step on the step until it has stopped moving and locked in place. This will usually keep from putting an asymmetrical load on the mounting bracket. Also, only use lubricant that does not attract dirt. I used to use white lithium grease, but after a couple years time and replacing the motor's drive gear, I switched to chain lube. It does make a difference on how easily the step deploys.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 PM   #6

THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
This is probably not germane; but remember, never step on the step until it has stopped moving and locked in place. This will usually keep from putting an asymmetrical load on the mounting bracket. Also, only use lubricant that does not attract dirt. I used to use white lithium grease, but after a couple years time and replacing the motor's drive gear, I switched to chain lube. It does make a difference on how easily the step deploys.

That’s probably a good idea. The steps currently deploy easily, but I have not been lubricating them. I would imagine that might be the cats meow. Thanks