Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #19514
Sugar Ants

I am very, very careful about not attracting ants on the road, and have been mostly successful at avoiding them. However, my Class C coach has been parked on a nice new concrete slab the last several weeks, and today I noticed a LOT of tiny, tiny little ants walking around on the exterior.

Does anyone know a way to prevent ants from setting up their little highways right over or across your coach? I even found hundreds of them on the roof.

There are no food stuffs at all inside and I wash the outside at least once a month (how I found them). Any tips or advice would be very welcome.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I always spray a little RAID around..away from the dogs and keeps them away
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Neither of these sound like a source for your problem; but based on my experience (admittedly limited, since we've only had an RV for just over 3 years)....

Two things to watch out for; which account for every instance we've had an ant problem.

1. Parking near and/or under a tree with an ant nest at the base. Those little bastards will mark a trail for others while they run a train up your hoses, drop from the tree branches, and mark their little paths all around your trim, windows, and doors until they find a way in. Possibly looking for food, possibly to get out of the heat/humidity, looking for a new nest site - who knows?

2. Mountain Dew (or similar soft drinks). We've had more than one instance where a "green soda" can - completely or almost empty - has attracted ants when nothing else does. For some reason, they seem to love the green, sugary caffeinated stuff. And can apparently smell it from a mile away, and will stop at nothing to find it.

Because of both, we keep a few RAID ant traps strategically located around the coach where they can do some good, and be out of Dawg's sniffing reach. Seems to help.

What helps the most is not "doing the Dew" from afternoon onward, and switching to beer.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah I keep raid in the RV and spray around the tires/jacks/power wire etc if I see any ants around (not very often). I have used 7 dust before but its obvious (unless you water it down some). The Spray is way easier.

One member suggest "Diatomaceous Earth" since some National Parks (or tree huggers) frown on bug spray in certain environment. I never used it but I have a small bag in the RV "just in case".

I also carry the wasp spray that shoots 10 feet. I had problems with a power box that had a nest under the cover. Plus they say its good for protection from crazy animals or human threats on the road.... could give you a few seconds to get away.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you don't have any wasp spray: brake cleaner aerosol works every bit as well.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Yes correct always have 3 cans of Wasp spray..even keeps ants at bay
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-19-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wish they had a spray repellent for telemarketers...
Old 05-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Certain COE parks at Eufaula AL are bad for the ants. First time I was up there a lot of RVs has white powder around the wheels, lift/stabilization legs, hoses, etc. Borax as it turned out I was told. Any path they can find in they will take. A couple years later I was back with a TH 5th wheel and they got in and filled the cat food bag. I got spray to go around the ground contact points but it took weeks to rid the trailer of the ants. That trip was an experiment to see it the cats would travel well. They didn't.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Scorched Earth policy in action to prevent ant infestations.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1621518350
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flamethrower.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	30658  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Get a small bag of ant powder/pellets that "kill on contact" or whatever wording thy use for that. Sprinkle a fair amount under the RV and around the perimeter...when you get there. If you see the trails you can bet the camper is already full of them. They show up for months and months as you travel. For some reason LA (Lower Alabama) is really horrible with them and so is South Florida. It isn't necessarily sugar that attracts them...its whatever the mound needs. They will crawl over and around a chocolate cake to get to proteins...if that's the demand.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #18612
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Certain COE parks at Eufaula AL are bad for the ants. First time I was up there a lot of RVs has white powder around the wheels, lift/stabilization legs, hoses, etc. Borax as it turned out I was told. Any path they can find in they will take. A couple years later I was back with a TH 5th wheel and they got in and filled the cat food bag. I got spray to go around the ground contact points but it took weeks to rid the trailer of the ants. That trip was an experiment to see it the cats would travel well. They didn't.

Agreed. Had the same problem at Eufala. Found a huge nest in a storage bay at our next destination. I use Raid around the touch points now and am more aware of the ant activity when we set up.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:32 AM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

One member suggest "Diatomaceous Earth" since some National Parks (or tree huggers) frown on bug spray in certain environment. I never used it but I have a small bag in the RV "just in case".
Make that two members. I can confirm it works. However, despite having plenty of DE for our pool; I never use it But that is because I also have and use Borax which works faster than the DE. If you are really impatient mix sugar with the Borax sprinkle it and allow the ants to feast.

I use to always use Amdro, but it seems like over the years it does not work as well, and cost a lot more
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

THOR #20220
Good info..every setup we do we check for ant bees and carry cans of raid and cheap Wasp spray from lowes. A few sprays around the site .picnic tables etc and they reverse course!
After rain may need to repeat.. we also have the CLAM so if you really want to enjoy shade if sunny ..lots of wind rain or cold. Get the CLAM takes 1 minute to setup..can use lights at night..tarp on ground ..eat inside..no bugs!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Ant Spray

A few years ago, we had an ant-festation to beat them all. We had ants everywhere. Found EcoSmart spray can at Target and Amazon. It's peppermint and Rosemary oils and it kills faster than Raid, smells like candy and won't hurt your pets. It leaves a coating that they won't cross either. You can use it in your food cupboards and pantry with no chance of harming your food or yourselves.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #15

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I am very, very careful about not attracting ants on the road, and have been mostly successful at avoiding them. However, my Class C coach has been parked on a nice new concrete slab the last several weeks, and today I noticed a LOT of tiny, tiny little ants walking around on the exterior.

Does anyone know a way to prevent ants from setting up their little highways right over or across your coach? I even found hundreds of them on the roof.

There are no food stuffs at all inside and I wash the outside at least once a month (how I found them). Any tips or advice would be very welcome.
Try Torro if your are storing your RV or staying for an extended time
Old 05-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #16
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Those little buggers are relentless! We had them in Texas this past winter. They chewed a tiny hole in a corner of our bedroom and proceeded to chew on us that night!!!! We got some heavy duty killer and a sprayer. Hubby went to EVERY anthill and sprayed. This was not a one shot deal. Also, turns out they don't like the smell of coffee grounds so we put small containers of them all over the rig and sprinkled them around the outside. We finally got rid of them
They were a nightmare!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #17

THOR #20220
EcoSmart spray - yes we use. also there is a wasp spray that works great!!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #18

THOR #20220
used for wasp and anything flying!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	30823  
Old 05-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #19

Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Florida
THOR #12972
Try this, pour some vodka on the ground where they are and then sprinkle with some sand and watch the excitement happen. They will all get drunk and then start a rock fight and kill each other. HEEHEEHEE
Old 05-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #20

THOR #20220
do you recommend this one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	30825  

Tags
ants, pest control, sugar ants