Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Bim

Judge,

I wish I was more aptitude in that area to follow that video. I did ask them at Thor service to verify the proper hookup when I was just there, and they said everything was right, but after taking the unit , it still ran into same issue. I have an appointment on the 21st at camping world for floor covering issue, and going to look at it again.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #22

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Your BIM is wired backwards per my other posts on this topic.
I thought about that, but in the little over year we have had this coach that's the only time it has happened.
I may just have to check out your thread on this again and look at my wiring. wouldn't surprise me at all that it's wired backwards.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:29 AM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Judge,

I wish I was more aptitude in that area to follow that video. I did ask them at Thor service to verify the proper hookup when I was just there, and they said everything was right, but after taking the unit , it still ran into same issue. I have an appointment on the 21st at camping world for floor covering issue, and going to look at it again.
More than likely everyone you are talking to is using the Thor diagram, which is incorrect, to verify how the BIM is wired.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:41 AM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Judge,

Exactly what Dave said....

Here's the problem....... the guys at the assembly plant and the dealers look at the Thor schematics. The schematics are wrong.... plain and simple.

Read post #56 and #58.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...6-27356-3.html
Old 08-09-2021, 12:45 AM   #25

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I thought about that, but in the little over year we have had this coach that's the only time it has happened.
I may just have to check out your thread on this again and look at my wiring. wouldn't surprise me at all that it's wired backwards.
You can sometimes get away when the batteries are at a full charge. Seee my previous post for details and how to test it.

The problem is that because of the BIM issues, the FireFly system is reading incorrect voltages when the engine is runnin. So the system thinks there is not enough voltage and it won't release the locks.

When on shore power or genny power, the Converter is boosting the voltage so if the engine is running to release the ignition interlock (and the parking brake is set), there will be enough voltage to release the voltage lock.

I will say there is a 99.9% chance yours is wired per the Thor schematics.... which are wrong.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #26

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
You can sometimes get away when the batteries are at a full charge. Seee my previous post for details and how to test it.

The problem is that because of the BIM issues, the FireFly system is reading incorrect voltages when the engine is runnin. So the system thinks there is not enough voltage and it won't release the locks.

When on shore power or genny power, the Converter is boosting the voltage so if the engine is running to release the ignition interlock (and the parking brake is set), there will be enough voltage to release the voltage lock.

I will say there is a 99.9% chance yours is wired per the Thor schematics.... which are wrong.
I concur, mine was backwards as well.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #24726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
So - we picked up the Omni this morning - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Drove around for a few hours, got home, went to extend the slide and.... crickets.
We did call service they tried to help over the phone, but couldn't, so we are bringing it in 1st thing Monday, but maybe we are doing something wrong?

we had: Engine running
Parking brake all the way in
Turned generator on (because we had to do that with the Delano but svc manager said not necessary)
House battery on
Unit is pretty level too

We do have a 30 amp plug outside (from the Delano) and we have a 50 to 30 dogbone... so can plug in, but the slide SHOULD work using the generator! (And it was extended when we did walkthrough this morning)

Suggestions ?? THANKS!
how many volts was the battery at? I also think you get resync motors but hitting open 5 times and then holding down 6th (I may have it a little wrong)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #28

Model: Omni SV34
THOR #19602
I forget the amps now. We arrived home on Friday after driving about 5 hours, and : NOT hooked up to shore power, NOT starting generator and we were able to bring the slide in NO problem. Go figure.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #29

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I forget the amps now. We arrived home on Friday after driving about 5 hours, and : NOT hooked up to shore power, NOT starting generator and we were able to bring the slide in NO problem. Go figure.
The whole system has gremlins. My recent story. I just completed a trip with 6 setups, slides and jacks. I would arrive, leave the engine running, get reasonably level with boards if necessary, ( do not level with tires off the ground), finish leveling with ultra level manually, put slides out. I also check the touch pad and noted that house and chassis battery voltages in the 13.6-13.7 range. All good. Then finishing setup with shore power/water/sewer.

When I get home after leveling I noted that both chassis and house batteries at 12.6-12.7 and slide icon is unlocked. I start the BR slide out, it goes out 6", voltage drops to 12.2+-, icon shows locked and of course slide stops. Wait a bit unlocks, goes out an inch, stops etc. Start generator, unlocks, volts good, and both slide go out OK. I then hook to my home shore power. I haven't done any further looking but will in a couple days.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

When I get home after leveling I noted that both chassis and house batteries at 12.6-12.7 and slide icon is unlocked. I start the BR slide out, it goes out 6", voltage drops to 12.2+-, icon shows locked and of course slide stops. Wait a bit unlocks, goes out an inch, stops etc. Start generator, unlocks, volts good, and both slide go out OK. I then hook to my home shore power. I haven't done any further looking but will in a couple days.

Sounds like a BIM issue and the alternator not charging the house batteries. Once the house batteries hit 12.5V, the BIM relay should engage so the chassis battery and alternator boost the house voltage to over 13V and trip the slide and leveker locks.

When you start your generator or plug into shore power, the Converter sees the low voltage and boosts the house batteries to over 13V..... but the BIM should be doing that as well and why Thor wants the engine running for the slide or the levelers.

If your wiring is not backwards and is correct, I would look for loose connections and bad grounds.

You can also do another step to test your BIM when you see the house voltage below 13V.

- Pull up the FireFly app and note your house and chassis battery voltages

- Start the engine and immediately press and hold the Emergency start button and watch the house voltage (the BIM will not engage immediately after starting the coach even if the houe voltage is below 12.6V).

- Once the relay is manually engaged, you should see the house voltage move over 13V. If not, then there is an issue with the BIM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #31

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Sounds like a BIM issue and the alternator not charging the house batteries. Once the house batteries hit 12.5V, the BIM relay should engage so the chassis battery and alternator boost the house voltage to over 13V and trip the slide and leveker locks.

When you start your generator or plug into shore power, the Converter sees the low voltage and boosts the house batteries to over 13V..... but the BIM should be doing that as well and why Thor wants the engine running for the slide or the levelers.

If your wiring is not backwards and is correct, I would look for loose connections and bad grounds.

You can also do another step to test your BIM when you see the house voltage below 1

- Start the engine and immediately press and hold the Emergency start button and watch the house voltage (the BIM will not engage immediately after starting the coach even if the houe voltage is below 12.6V).

- Once the relay is manually engaged, you should see the house voltage move over 13V. If not, then there is an issue with the BIM.
I have some other projects to do but in the next couple weeks I'll more thoroughly investigate the battery, BIM, and electrical charging issues. I regularly look at the screen and house and chassis voltages, usually both in the 13.6-13.7 range. This last time not but what I stated above. That was after several hour drive not after sitting unplugged.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:34 AM   #32

Model: SV34
State: California
THOR #21216
Quote:

You can also do another step to test your BIM when you see the house voltage below 13V.

Check the wire connections to the controller. I have one that came loose a couple of times. It should be attached to the ceiling of one of the storage units. Mine is on the driver side by the rear axle.
CFWSV34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:43 PM   #33

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Quote:
All you newbies need to read my posts on the BIM being wired incorrectly, Read posts #56 and #58...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...6-27356-3.html

You guy are all getting D- for not doing enough homework.
I might be a cement head, but the link included with read posts 56 and 58 only seems to go to 20. I desperately want to read 56 and 58. Where do I go?
Old 10-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
I might be a cement head, but the link included with read posts 56 and 58 only seems to go to 20. I desperately want to read 56 and 58. Where do I go?
Here you go.....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=56

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=58
Old 10-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #35

THOR #24995
Many thanks Judge
Old 10-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #36

THOR #24995
I am finally going to get around to checking my BIM wiring. My observation to date are the slides stay locked with engine off but key in run position but rig plugged into 50amp. After starting engine after a short wait, slides unlock. Even had a case of slides unlocking, begin to bring in bedroom slide, motors momentary stop then restart.
My coach is wired with 4- 6v units, and there is a bit of corrosion present so im planning to take them out for cleaning and to gain access to the BIM. I was wondering if I could simply trace the red from the battery to BIM and verify it on the correct side (t2) or I still need to perform the voltage drop testing.
The XG32 doesn't seem to have an emergency start circuit (that I've found at least) so don't know if that makes any difference.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #37

THOR #12751
Quote:
I am finally going to get around to checking my BIM wiring. My observation to date are the slides stay locked with engine off but key in run position but rig plugged into 50amp. After starting engine after a short wait, slides unlock. Even had a case of slides unlocking, begin to bring in bedroom slide, motors momentary stop then restart.
My coach is wired with 4- 6v units, and there is a bit of corrosion present so im planning to take them out for cleaning and to gain access to the BIM. I was wondering if I could simply trace the red from the battery to BIM and verify it on the correct side (t2) or I still need to perform the voltage drop testing.
The XG32 doesn't seem to have an emergency start circuit (that I've found at least) so don't know if that makes any difference.

You just need to trace the positive cable from the house batteries.

You should have an Emergency Start Switch on the dash that enables the BIM relay to tie the house and chassis batteries together. Every Omni / Magnitude I have seen has one but the location on the dash can differ.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #38

THOR #24995
You were correct, I did find the emergency start. Tiny rocker switch, nothing like what Ford uses.
Sorry to pester you again re the BIM, but I've now pulled my batteries out and trying to trace the positive back to the BIM. It's a rats nest of bundled and wrapped wires under there and nothing simply going directly to the BIM from the battery. I'll spend more time trying to trace, but if I'm not successful, would it be reasonable to assume that with coach batteries out, if I start the engine I'd be able to find only one side of the BIM with voltage ie the engine side.
The photos show what I can see from the open step. One terminal in addition to a heavy cable has some smaller reds attached as well. Looks like possibly the gauge used for the solar. Not sure if that a clue. I didn't find anything attached directly to the batteries like that so I assume the solar is wired to the BIM as well Click image for larger version

Name:	20211102_083358.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	34571Click image for larger version

Name:	20211102_083344.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	34572
Old 11-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #39

THOR #12751
Quote:
You were correct, I did find the emergency start. Tiny rocker switch, nothing like what Ford uses.
Sorry to pester you again re the BIM, but I've now pulled my batteries out and trying to trace the positive back to the BIM. It's a rats nest of bundled and wrapped wires under there and nothing simply going directly to the BIM from the battery. I'll spend more time trying to trace, but if I'm not successful, would it be reasonable to assume that with coach batteries out, if I start the engine I'd be able to find only one side of the BIM with voltage ie the engine side.
The photos show what I can see from the open step. One terminal in addition to a heavy cable has some smaller reds attached as well. Looks like possibly the gauge used for the solar. Not sure if that a clue. I didn't find anything attached directly to the batteries like that so I assume the solar is wired to the BIM as well Attachment 34571Attachment 34572
That looks like mine did before I cleaned up Thor's wiring mess shortly after I bought the coach.

So the chassis battery cable connected to the BIM is always hot so you do not need to start the engine. If you disconnect the positive cable from the house batteries, one side of the BIM should read 12V for the chassis and the other side should be 0V (unless the BIM is activated by pressing Emergency Start switch). That assumes the BIM will not engage when it sees the house batteries are below 12.6V because they are disconnected. It shouldn't without the engine running but if it is wired incorrectly, that may cause the BIM to think it needs the relay to engage. In any case do the test without the engine running.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #40

THOR #24995
Home run Judge. My BIM b is reading 12.8 BIM a is flashing gibberish on my digital meter. I will reverse those. Do I need to consider the ignition wire as well? Not sure if that matters or I just assume it's wrong. If it's a separate terminal, I'm going to move the solar connection over to b as well. I think that should always go to the coach batteries.
I began thinking earlier that perhaps both sides might be hot so started measuring continuity. I have some readings that are a bit confusing considering we think the chassis is on the wrong side of the BIM. Off the positive side of battery, there are 2 cables heading to parts unknown. One is routed toward the front, the other to the back. If I measure ohms from BIM b to the cable heading back, I have continuity . No continuity from IBM b to front cable
Enough daylight got to the solar panels while in my garage to register volts on the controller and with my meter still between BIM b and that cable I heard the relay click. Measuring BIM a to that same cable yields continuity but 0 volts. I thought perhaps it's the solar circuit doing that. I have 2 20 amp fuses down in the well, 1 is the solar, the second is the electric step. I pulled 1 of those and still have continuity. Left that fuse out and pulled the 2nd. No more continuity. Put the 1st back in which I'm thinking is the step, and continuity again. For some reason, BIM a always has continuity to the battery unless both step and solar fuses are pulled.

Maybe im over thinking this and simply finding BIM b hot is all I need.
BTW, If we ever meet, the drinks are on me