Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni SV34
State: Florida
THOR #19602
Suggestions on slide Thor OMNI SV34

So - we picked up the Omni this morning - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Drove around for a few hours, got home, went to extend the slide and.... crickets.
We did call service they tried to help over the phone, but couldn't, so we are bringing it in 1st thing Monday, but maybe we are doing something wrong?

we had: Engine running
Parking brake all the way in
Turned generator on (because we had to do that with the Delano but svc manager said not necessary)
House battery on
Unit is pretty level too

We do have a 30 amp plug outside (from the Delano) and we have a 50 to 30 dogbone... so can plug in, but the slide SHOULD work using the generator! (And it was extended when we did walkthrough this morning)

Suggestions ?? THANKS!

Old 07-31-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
On my Class C the slide will not move in any direction with the engine on - a safety lockout situation. Some folks can’t have the engine on and the key in the ignition.

So, turn the engine off, remove the ignition key and use either the coach batteries or the generator to extend/retract the slide. I prefer to use the generator or shore power - more juice to the slide motors.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:54 PM   #3

THOR #19602
Thanks Jimbo! Apparently, with the Omni, the engine needs to be running and the parking brake on. (We tried it with the engine off too, just in case)

We were forewarned about slide problems, but we just want to make sure it's not "User Error".
Old 07-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is the slide controller flashing a code?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:21 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
On your touch pad on the slide and awning page, does the slide icon show locked or unlocked? You are correct that the engine must be running and parking brake on, to level and extend slides. When we got back Thursday from a trip, I parked in in its pole barn, leveled it and slides wouldn't go out, symbol showed locked. Checked brake, ON. Shut down, reset parking brake NO GO. I went on the setting page, found a diagnostics page and it showed a green dot by generator fault relay. For grins I started generator, slide icon went unlocked and slides worked. Shut down generator and all normal now.

Since you already tried the generator, recheck your level and check to see if the diagnostics shows anything out of the ordinary. I level manually since it's less "violent" and the jacks don't hyper extend. Put a 1' torpedo level on the floor so I san see it when leveling. Like the recommendations, start with rear, then front, then side-to-side.

EDIT adding; the generator has supposedly no function with the interfaces about slide operation. Engine and brake the requirements. Makes no difference if hooked to shore power either. Engine and brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-2 copy 2.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	32393   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-2 copy.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	32394  

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:44 PM   #6

THOR #19602
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
On your touch pad on the slide and awning page, does the slide icon show locked or unlocked? You are correct that the engine must be running and parking brake on, to level and extend slides. When we got back Thursday from a trip, I parked in in its pole barn, leveled it and slides wouldn't go out, symbol showed locked. Checked brake, ON. Shut down, reset parking brake NO GO. I went on the setting page, found a diagnostics page and it showed a green dot by generator fault relay. For grins I started generator, slide icon went unlocked and slides worked. Shut down generator and all normal now.

Since you already tried the generator, recheck your level and check to see if the diagnostics shows anything out of the ordinary. I level manually since it's less "violent" and the jacks don't hyper extend. Put a 1' torpedo level on the floor so I san see it when leveling. Like the recommendations, start with rear, then front, then side-to-side.

EDIT adding; the generator has supposedly no function with the interfaces about slide operation. Engine and brake the requirements. Makes no difference if hooked to shore power either. Engine and brake.
I don't know what I did differently, but now it worked. I hadn't noticed the little lock & unlock icons by the slide & awning... but the slide was showing locked.
I started the cab, released and reset the parking brake, then started the generator. Waited waited waited.... looked at the screens, thought it may be on the last one where you enter your preferences (generator quiet times, etc) then went back to the slide screen, and it was unlocked!! Took quite a while to get to unlock though.

Will experiment tomorrow with it - but the only thing I can think of is the parking brake (because I REALLY pushed it to the floor this time!)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:21 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I don't know what I did differently, but now it worked. I hadn't noticed the little lock & unlock icons by the slide & awning... but the slide was showing locked.
I started the cab, release
d and reset the parking brake, then started the generator. Waited waited waited.... looked at the screens, thought it may be on the last one where you enter your preferences (generator quiet times, etc) then went back to the slide screen, and it was unlocked!! Took quite a while to get to unlock though.

Will experiment tomorrow with it - but the only thing I can think of is the parking brake (because I REALLY pushed it to the floor this time!)
Agree, for me starting the generator shouldn't have had any effect except it clears the fault shown. But it did. Techno-crap in RVs. What was wrong with a wall switch.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-01-2021, 11:50 PM   #8

Model: RS36
State: California
THOR #24133
The slide will remain locked until you get the Chassis voltage to 13.2. I have been having many slide issues with my brand new unit and here are some things to double check or to be aware of. Judge from this forum has also several good write ups on some of these issues.

1) After driving the Chassis voltage should be above 13.2. But often times it is not. Or at least in my case even after driving 6+ straight hours. This has to do with the BIM being wired incorrectly from Thor. Turning the generator on does help because it will engage the AC-DC converter and engage the BIM and will get your voltage over 13.2 (even though the engine alternator should be doing this all along). Or shore power will also do the same.

2). Double check if the AC to DC converter is not tripped. It was preventing my batteries from charging. For some reason mine has tripped at least 2x times during my cross country trip. But here is the best part of Thor's design genius. In my coach (RS36) the fuse box / breakers is facing the slide and you cannot open the access plate if the slide in in so nothing you can do. I did remove the cover, so when the breaker tripped again, I could reach my hand in to reset. I was lucky that the battery was able to barely get above 13.2 to open the slide, but it took over 10 min of waiting at the campground.

You can confirm if your AC-DC converter has tripped when you are on shore power, hit the red house power switch at the door. If everything stays on you are ok. If everything turns off, the breaker is flipped.

I would think Thor would be sick of these calls for help and it has been clearly communicated to them via various channels that the coach is wired incorrectly causing the slow rise to 13.2. Even when I had the Thor Tech help on the phone and we were using my voltmeter on the Chassis battery, House battery, and BIM, he also concluded that it was wired incorrectly.

Eric
Old 08-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
All you newbies need to read my posts on the BIM being wired incorrectly, Read posts #56 and #58...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...6-27356-3.html

You guy are all getting D- for not doing enough homework.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:

When the BIM160 is wired incorrectly shore power and generator power actually makes all the difference in the world for this slide issue.

There are two electrical locks for the slides. One is battery related and one is ignition related.

The house batteries are not getting charged propely by the altrernator when driving. It also does not provde the "boost" to the house battery voltage needed with the engine running to "unlock" the slide so it can be extended or retracted.

When connected to shore power or generator power (with the engine running or key in run position to release the ignition interlock) the Converter will provide the boost needed to cause the battery voltage to unlock so the slde can be extended or retracted since the alternator is not providing it as it should.

When the BIM160 is wired correctly per my instructions, the alternator will provide the proper boost in voltage to release the battery voltage lock so the slide can be extended or retracted without shore or generator power.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
So - we picked up the Omni this morning - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Drove around for a few hours, got home, went to extend the slide and.... crickets.
We did call service they tried to help over the phone, but couldn't, so we are bringing it in 1st thing Monday, but maybe we are doing something wrong?

we had: Engine running
Parking brake all the way in
Turned generator on (because we had to do that with the Delano but svc manager said not necessary)
House battery on
Unit is pretty level too

We do have a 30 amp plug outside (from the Delano) and we have a 50 to 30 dogbone... so can plug in, but the slide SHOULD work using the generator! (And it was extended when we did walkthrough this morning)

Suggestions ?? THANKS!

Per my previous posts...... if your BIM is wired incorrectly, try this:

1) Start the engine (or just put the key in the run position)

2) Plug into shore power OR start the generator

3) Make sure the USE / STORE switch is in the USE position

4) Extend / Retract your slide

If it works, you need to rewire your BIM160 per my instruction in the link that I provided. That is the source of your problem. Once the BOM is wired properly, you will only need to have the engine running to extend / retract the slide as both the ignition lock and battery voltage lock will be released.

This first virtual service call is free.... then I charge $75 per issue after that...
Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Per my previous posts...... if your BIM is wired incorrectly, try this:

1) Start the engine (or just put the key in the run position)

2) Plug into shore power OR start the generator

3) Make sure the USE / STORE switch is in the USE position

4) Extend / Retract your slide

If it works, you need to rewire your BIM160 per my instruction in the link that I provided. That is the source of your problem. Once the BOM is wired properly, you will only need to have the engine running to extend / retract the slide as both the ignition lock and battery voltage lock will be released.

This first virtual service call is free.... then I charge $75 per issue after that...
In my feeble mind, having to run the engine doesn't make sense from many standpoints. IF the slides are getting enough power either from shore power or generator that should meet the requirement. But I guess I don't think like Thor and try to do things the right way the first time.

All other RVs that I have had, including some Thor Keystone Raptors, would allow the slide operation without even being hooked up or generator. If it was low voltage it would stop and tell you via the controller.

I picked up on another interlock this trip, awning requirements. I needed to add DEF. Can't access the filler with the slide in so just before departure Thursday morning I start up retract slides and jacks, and shut down. Add DEF, which turned out to be another "fun" issue. Start back up and notice awning out slightly, and awning won't go in, locked. Have to shut down to retract. I understand reasoning for not extending with running but not the retracting.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
In my feeble mind, having to run the engine doesn't make sense from many standpoints. IF the slides are getting enough power either from shore power or generator that should meet the requirement. But I guess I don't think like Thor and try to do things the right way the first time.

All other RVs that I have had, including some Thor Keystone Raptors, would allow the slide operation without even being hooked up or generator. If it was low voltage it would stop and tell you via the controller.

I picked up on another interlock this trip, awning requirements. I needed to add DEF. Can't access the filler with the slide in so just before departure Thursday morning I start up retract slides and jacks, and shut down. Add DEF, which turned out to be another "fun" issue. Start back up and notice awning out slightly, and awning won't go in, locked. Have to shut down to retract. I understand reasoning for not extending with running but not the retracting.
I think the issue is with the bigger, heavier slide and the amount of current draw. Thor wants the engine running to boost the house batteries over 13.5 to have enough power to keep the slide motors synced while they are running. So Thor has a voltage lock in place that won't allow the slide to function unless there is enough voltage from the boost charge.

If you are plugged into shore power, you can get away with just having the key in the run position because the Converter will be be boosting the batteries.

I ended up installing the Start-X Remote Start so I didn't have to keep crawling in the coach to start to use the slide or the levelers. It works great and now I can be inside the coach to start it and then turn it off when I'm done with theb levelers and slides.

I think the issue with the awning is it is a simply switch. If the key is in the run position, there is no power to the awning to extend or retract. It would be a bit more involved allowing it to retract while the key is in the run position so they don't want to spend the time or money on it.

*EDIT*

I also neglected to mention there is a third interlock for the slide (and levelers). Besides a voltage and ignition interlock there is a parking brake interlock.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #14

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Low Voltage

I had the same problem twice. I’ve had the issue twice now, I know this is going to sound crazy but both times I turned off my chassis ac, and the unlock indicator showed and slide worked.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #15

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
I had the same problem twice. I’ve had the issue twice now, I know this is going to sound crazy but both times I turned off my chassis ac, and the unlock indicator showed and slide worked.
Interesting find. I have had mine for a year now and on our last trip back in July I had the same issue, slide would not unlock. Had the big engine running but don't remember if the chassis a/c was on or not, started up the generator and it unlocked. It did not happen again the rest of the 2 week trip.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #16

THOR #2531
Idle speed

I haven’t checked yet, but can the idle speed be adjusted using the cruise control?

If so that may be another avenue to increase volts.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I haven’t checked yet, but can the idle speed be adjusted using the cruise control?

Not sure about Ford but on my Freightliner pushing the cruise speed increase button increases the idle 100 RPM per press. Pressing the cruise decrease button decreases the idle speed by 100 RPM per press down to the preset idle speed.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #18

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Interesting find. I have had mine for a year now and on our last trip back in July I had the same issue, slide would not unlock. Had the big engine running but don't remember if the chassis a/c was on or not, started up the generator and it unlocked. It did not happen again the rest of the 2 week trip.

Your BIM is wired backwards per my other posts on this topic.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Suggestions on slide Thor OMNI SV34

Quote:

He doesn’t need more volts… his BIM is wired backwards…. like 99% of them.

There is a YouTube Video online that shows how to wire one of the uplifter switches to boost the idle RPM’s whrn you flip the switch.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #20

THOR #2531
Tuscany

That’s why I mentioned the idle, it did on my Tuscany also.