Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
In the case of my PowerStroke, WalMart had the Motorcraft PowerStroke 5W-30 and it was more than the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic at Tractor Supply and the Shell is kn the Ford Warranty Approved Oil List.

Ford also considers towing a Severe Duty application and they recommend 15W-40 for temps above 30 or 5W-40 below 30. I also consider a motorhome a severe duty application given the weight. So I was able to move up to Full Synthetic and 15W-40 for less than half the cost of the dealer oil change going this route.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Interesting conversation with Jeep Dealer about oil

When we bought our Jeep Grand Cherokee they threw in some periodic services under the Jeep Wave program.

Even though I had already used all of the Wave Program freebees I took the Jeep to the dealer today for a LOF service. After discussions with the dealer I decided to renew my Wave program and what was interesting is they were not allowed to sell me the full synthetic or the synthetic blend service package because Synthetic Oil is not recommended for use in the 5.7L Hemi in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. According to the dealer synthetic oil can cause problems with the MDS system which shuts down up to 4 cylinders under certain conditions.

The dealer also told me the 5.7L Hemi is no longer available in the Grand Cherokee.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:48 AM   #23

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I look at this way on oil changes. New oil and filter are cheap an engine rebuild or replacement is not. Just change the oil and filter and use what the manufacture say's. Nobody lost an engine because they changed it more frequently than needed, lot's of engines have been lost to not changing the oil.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I look at this way on oil changes. New oil and filter are cheap an engine rebuild or replacement is not. Just change the oil and filter and use what the manufacture say's. Nobody lost an engine because they changed it more frequently than needed, lot's of engines have been lost to not changing the oil.

On the other hand....my sister had her cars oil changed at the dealer a number of years ago. They drained it and replaced the filter but failed to put new oil in. She made it out into the middle of the street before the engine seized. She got a new engine and I suppose the tech got a new job. If I donít change it myself I usually check the level when I pick up my car.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
MPG: 12.2 with no tow at 64 MPH on cruise...pretty steady. 9.7 towing an R&R aluminum trailer with an XT5...again, cruise set at 64MPH. Regarding oil, I switched to Rotella 15W40 at first oil change. Based on the Ford's advice, motorhomes continually run under severe duty application as they are always "fully loaded" to near max GVWR ratings. But...anyone buying a motorhome and being concerned about mileage...oh well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #26

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
On the other hand....my sister had her cars oil changed at the dealer a number of years ago. They drained it and replaced the filter but failed to put new oil in. She made it out into the middle of the street before the engine seized. She got a new engine and I suppose the tech got a new job. If I donít change it myself I usually check the level when I pick up my car.
That engine had to to be rattling and knocking when the mechanic started it.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
That engine had to to be rattling and knocking when the mechanic started it.

Iím sure! And the oil pressure light would have been on. But if you knew my sister youíd understand!
Old 04-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Iím sure! And the oil pressure light would have been on. But if you knew my sister youíd understand!
Not just your sister, the mechanic that pulled it out of the shop,
Old 04-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #29

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Omni valve stem extrensions

I read in some specs listing that Thor was installing the valve extensions, Question are these long one that attach ti the inner tire and stick through a gutter wheel hole an d secured by some method. My Itasca Horizon used rubber disc in one of there hole of the outer rim, Stem extensions were solid not flexible. I mounted my TPMS sensors on the ends of the stems

On a different note, my 2020 Ram is a dually with alloy wheels of the outer, steel for the inner. If has the internal tire sensor so I don't think I can add extensions to the rubber ones on the inners, Being they are rubber it's impossible to add/subtract air from the inner using a typical tire chuck. Can't get a fit seat in the rubber stem with the air tool. I went to CW and got 10' braided extensions and put a piece of plactic tubing on one end and slip over the stem cap and twist off the cap with the 10' flex on the rubber stem reaching with a wire to stabilize the rubber stem. With the flex line now reachable, I fill the tire to desired specs. Remove the long flex line and use it to out the cap back on Use the log stem to reinstall the valve stem cap
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #30

THOR #12751
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I read in some specs listing that Thor was installing the valve extensions, Question are these long one that attach ti the inner tire and stick through a gutter wheel hole an d secured by some method. My Itasca Horizon used rubber disc in one of there hole of the outer rim, Stem extensions were solid not flexible. I mounted my TPMS sensors on the ends of the stems

On a different note, my 2020 Ram is a dually with alloy wheels of the outer, steel for the inner. If has the internal tire sensor so I don't think I can add extensions to the rubber ones on the inners, Being they are rubber it's impossible to add/subtract air from the inner using a typical tire chuck. Can't get a fit seat in the rubber stem with the air tool. I went to CW and got 10' braided extensions and put a piece of plactic tubing on one end and slip over the stem cap and twist off the cap with the 10' flex on the rubber stem reaching with a wire to stabilize the rubber stem. With the flex line now reachable, I fill the tire to desired specs. Remove the long flex line and use it to out the cap back on Use the log stem to reinstall the valve stem cap

I had these on my Magnitude using my TMPS and they worked fine....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A year ago a switch over to the Crossifire Dually Tire Pressure Equalization System that also can use my TPMS. The extenders used in this system are the best quality that I have seen... probably second to only a semi metal extended valve stem. What is great about this systen beside keeping the tire pressure balanced is you only add air once and it supplies both tires.

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #31

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If I keep my Magnitude SV34 around 60 - 65MPH I can get between 11 - 12 MPG. When towing my small trailer with the Spyder I get in the 10 - 11MPG range. When towing the Wrangler I am in the 9 - 11MPG range depending on the geography. If I keep it under 60 I can do a little better than those numbers.

Compared to my old Outlaw 29H with the V10 Triton it is amazing given it is bigger and heavier. I would get 7 - 8MPG with the Spyder in the Outlaw garage.

I bought the Banks Deringer Tuner for it over the winter. I am anxious to install it to see if it does anything for MPG. I didn't want to do a flash tune since the F-550 is still under warranty. It is supposed to add up to 59HP and up to 106 ft-lbs of torque.

I installed a Green Diesel Engineering Flash Tune in my 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L Duramax and the performance improvements were amazing. It added about 40HP and 70ft-lbs of torque. I saw a substantial increase in fuel economy was well as throttle response and shifting. I was alreayd impressed with the little Duramax before the tune as I would get 25MPG city and 31MPG highway. After the tune I am getting almost 36MPG on the highway. It used to take me two fuel stops to drive from Pittsburgh, PA to Cape Coral, FL. Now I can make it on one stop with fuel to spare.
Curious how you like the Banks Derringer tuner. I am very interested in getting one for my 2020 Thor Magnitude BH35 (2019 Ford Chassis). The videos on Youtube have me sold, but I really want to hear from a fellow Thor Magnitude/Omni owner as to what it did for overall fuel economy and towing (especially on long grades).
Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #32

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohoda View Post
Curious how you like the Banks Derringer tuner. I am very interested in getting one for my 2020 Thor Magnitude BH35 (2019 Ford Chassis). The videos on Youtube have me sold, but I really want to hear from a fellow Thor Magnitude/Omni owner as to what it did for overall fuel economy and towing (especially on long grades).
I have not installed it yet. We spend October - May at our home in Florida and the coach is stored in PA. We will be heading north in a few weeks and this on my list of mods when I get back north.

Our first trip won't be until late June so I will report back then.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #33

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
Did you just order based on the F550 model year? Seems it is the same for all late model f550s.