Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #22385
Thor 28z

The black tank on the 28z has 2 handles the first 1 seems to need lubrication very hard to pull any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
How old is the coach? Rusty? Bent pull bat? Thetford makes a lube.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullyd59 View Post
The black tank on the 28z has 2 handles the first 1 seems to need lubrication very hard to pull any suggestions?
New coach, old ?
Your 1st time trying?
When was it last used?
Is it full or with contents to dump?
Pictures say a lot that you don't have to say.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:23 PM   #4

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
How old is the coach? Rusty? Bent pull bat? Thetford makes a lube.
2021 possibly bent
Old 07-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #5

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
New coach, old ?
Your 1st time trying?
When was it last used?
Is it full or with contents to dump?
Pictures say a lot that you don't have to say.
Empty ,2021, trying to avoid breaking
Old 07-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:

That is new coach so it should not have lubrication issue.

I don't have a 28z so I can't speak to your coach, pictures would help.

But as far as what you describe there are 3 likely issues.

1. You simply may not be pulling hard enough, I am assuming you are not a RV valve expert, so maybe a 2nd opinion to confirm the issue and or point out what may be wrong.

2. Not lubed properly, normally I would say add Dawn detergent; but since it is empty; keep it empty. My black tank is never really empty; outside 5 minutes or so after a dump (or a full winterize to protect from possible freezing which is rare for us). I drop in 8 oz of Thetford ( I don't use Dawn) and about 1 gallon of water and I go on to the next cycle.

3. If issue was with the pull handle itself, seems like you would have trouble closing not opening, but nonetheless I would call Thor and tell them that the Pull Handle cable is not working, It may be under warranty and they send you part, even if yo not under warranty; you have 2021 I would think they send you that part because I don't know how you could damage that part.

Pictures of your setup would help, but I suspect it looks like this.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...hoCL98QAvD_BwE

With all that said, I can't imagine a drive by any dealer including the infamous CW where they can try to pull to confirm nothing simple.

My guess is your worst case scenario is $350 to have repaired. $150/ parts and 1 hour labor.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:

That is new coach so it should not have lubrication issue.

I don't have a 28z so I can't speak to your coach, pictures would help.

But as far as what you describe there are 3 likely issues.

1. You simply may not be pulling hard enough, I am assuming you are not a RV valve expert, so maybe a 2nd opinion to confirm the issue and or point out what may be wrong.

2. Not lubed properly, normally I would say add Dawn detergent; but since it is empty; keep it empty. My black tank is never really empty; outside 5 minutes or so after a dump (or a full winterize to protect from possible freezing which is rare for us). I drop in 8 oz of Thetford ( I don't use Dawn) and about 1 gallon of water and I go on to the next cycle.

3. If issue was with the pull handle itself, seems like you would have trouble closing not opening, but nonetheless I would call Thor and tell them that the Pull Handle cable is not working, It may be under warranty and they send you part, even if yo not under warranty; you have 2021 I would think they send you that part because I don't know how you could damage that part.

Pictures of your setup would help, but I suspect it looks like this.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...hoCL98QAvD_BwE

With all that said, I can't imagine a drive by any dealer including the infamous CW where they can try to pull to confirm nothing simple.

My guess is your worst case scenario is $350 to have repaired. $150/ parts and 1 hour labor.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
Quote:
We have a 2020 28Z and our passenger side valve is also very hard to pull. I tried lubricating the stem but I think the problem is internal. I've heard there is product that you can put into your black tank that will lubricate the seals and make it easier to open. Haven't tried this yet.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Depending on what additives you add to the tank can cause excessive friction to the knife. My trick is to use a water repellent lubricant in the track. The track I am referring to is the guide track for the blade or knife in the valve.

I find that white lithium grease is the easiest to apply if you use a spray can and straw. You need to check for buildup in the track if the valve is well used. It is easy to wedge a piece of TP into the track that cannot be flushed out. In my coach both valves are located together, coming into a rotatable wye. Four machine screws in each valve allow me to completely dissemble the valves and inspect the tracks for debris and roughness. It is a messy job but it only needs to be done once. Once you get the knife valves working properly, they seldom need lubricating.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #10

THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Depending on what additives you add to the tank can cause excessive friction to the knife. My trick is to use a water repellent lubricant in the track. The track I am referring to is the guide track for the blade or knife in the valve.

I find that white lithium grease is the easiest to apply if you use a spray can and straw. You need to check for buildup in the track if the valve is well used. It is easy to wedge a piece of TP into the track that cannot be flushed out. In my coach both valves are located together, coming into a rotatable wye. Four machine screws in each valve allow me to completely dissemble the valves and inspect the tracks for debris and roughness. It is a messy job but it only needs to be done once. Once you get the knife valves working properly, they seldom need lubricating.
Thanks