Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #26173
Thor chateau 28a & thor four winds 28a

Do you have a THOR CHATEAU 28A or THOR FOUR WINDS 28A?

What do you like?

What do you dislike?

Old 03-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you searched the forum for 28A. 331 posts.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Reviews

And

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDThor View Post
Do you have a THOR CHATEAU 28A or THOR FOUR WINDS 28A?

What do you like?

What do you dislike?
We have the Four Winds 28a. It's our first motorhome, so we don't have any previous experience to compare it with, but we like it a lot! What drew me to this unit was the massive storage in the back. I installed d-rings to help keep stuff from sliding around.
Right away I noticed that it needed an alignment. It pulled to the right a little. In reading other threads, I had the alignment shop put in +5 of caster and it made a huge difference! I also added a Roadmaster front sway bar.
I bought a spare tire, which was important to me.
I made a small stool to place in front of the toilet because it sits a little high for us.
I put in an access door in the base of the queen bed to get to the fresh water drain valve.

Have fun!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:30 PM   #5

THOR #26173
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
We have the Four Winds 28a. It's our first motorhome, so we don't have any previous experience to compare it with, but we like it a lot! What drew me to this unit was the massive storage in the back. I installed d-rings to help keep stuff from sliding around.
Right away I noticed that it needed an alignment. It pulled to the right a little. In reading other threads, I had the alignment shop put in +5 of caster and it made a huge difference! I also added a Roadmaster front sway bar.
I bought a spare tire, which was important to me.
I made a small stool to place in front of the toilet because it sits a little high for us.
I put in an access door in the base of the queen bed to get to the fresh water drain valve.

Have fun!
Is the shower good for you?

Can you put a door on instead of the shower curtain?
Old 03-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #6

THOR #21941
Quote:
Is the shower good for you?

Can you put a door on instead of the shower curtain?
The shower is adequate. We're not big people. I don't know about replacing the curtain with a door. The curtain seems to work OK.

We are still figuring out boondocking. I plan on putting in two batteries (Costco) when the time comes to replace the one that came with the coach. Overnight the battery that's in the coach is almost completely drained. Probably go with AGMs after that.

There also seems to be inadequate grey/black water storage if you're going to be out for more than a couple of days. I wish they were larger. The first time we spent a couple of nights in the desert, we took showers every night and came to the limit of the tanks (fresh and waste). The next time we didn't take showers and were more conservative with water usage. Worked better that time.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 03-08-2022, 12:49 AM   #7

THOR #26173
Does the 28A's have leveling jacks?
Old 03-08-2022, 12:51 AM   #8

THOR #21941
Quote:
Does the 28A's have leveling jacks?
No, it doesn't.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:07 AM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Not to reign on brother Wayne’s parade…
- one great feature of the 28A is NO Slide. Less to go wrong & you can boon dock/sleep anywhere without having to use a slide
- has a sofa and a dinette in a less than 30’ RV
- ez to use rear queen & over-cab bed, always available to use

Personally, even though I like many of the qualities, I am not a fan of:
- class c cab chassis
- length

Generally, it’s a better value for money vs many of the other Thor rigs.

And:
- you can add levelers for under $4,000
- add an integrated inverter, large battery bank & extra solar
So that it functions like an expensive RV at a much favorable price point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94BF08DC-8400-4252-A15A-85CF98CF4959.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	36383  
Old 03-08-2022, 01:13 AM   #10

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Not to reign on brother Wayne’s parade…
- one great feature of the 28A is NO Slide. Less to go wrong & you can boon dock/sleep anywhere without having to use a slide
- has a sofa and a dinette in a less than 30’ RV
- ez to use rear queen & over-cab bed, always available to use

Personally, even though I like many of the qualities, I am not a fan of:
- class c cab chassis
- length

Generally, it’s a better value for money vs many of the other Thor rigs.

And:
- you can add levelers for under $4,000
- add an integrated inverter, large battery bank & extra solar
So that’s it functions like an expensive RV at a much favorable price point
There are many advantages of the 28A, no slide being one of them.
I am planning on adding an inverter.
I have installed an EMS, hardwired, to protect the electrical system. I noticed that it is included in the 2022 models.
The length is not too bad. I am excluded from some places, but am able to get into most NP and SP.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:05 AM   #11

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
We have a 28A and run the crap out of it. Been in continuous service since mid March 2021. Been to most places south of I-40 with it and have 30k miles. We also had little experience and this is our first rig also, but my research said with the type traveling we wanted to do, no slides was the answer. We do 2-3 night stays and move on, many times just an overnight at a harvest host etc.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #12

THOR #23131
My first response did not really address your questions, so I give it another go.

Fast easy setup, and stealth
Engine-Transmission pkg
Fuel mileage
TPMS

Dislikes:
Mattress
POS, joke of an oven
Placement of 110v outlets
Every electronic component with the Axxera brand name
Noisy ride (1st RV so maybe just me)
Old 03-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #13

THOR #26173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
My first response did not really address your questions, so I give it another go.

Fast easy setup, and stealth
Engine-Transmission pkg
Fuel mileage
TPMS

Dislikes:
Mattress
POS, joke of an oven
Placement of 110v outlets
Every electronic component with the Axxera brand name
Noisy ride (1st RV so maybe just me)
That helps. Thank you

I know the mattresses are oddly sized. How hard to put a higher quality mattress. I love my sleepy time.

I wish it did not even have an oven. I have never used a convection microwave, or talked to anyone that has, but the idea seems smart. I assume a higher quality mo' better oven can be put in.

Sounds like you are now Axxera fan. Is that a GM thing or a Thor thing?

I assume the noisy ride is a factor of no or little insulation.

Right now, my attraction to the 28A is the overall simplicity and the lack of a slide.

Your dislikes don't too big. I have to ask are they all correctable?
Old 03-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #14

THOR #26173
How many of you added any type of manual or auto levelers?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #15

THOR #23131
Spent lots of time on boats. When I stop if we are anything "near" level I turn the ignition off and we are done ! I don't see the need for levelers but as I said I am a 1st timer.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
That helps. Thank you

I know the mattresses are oddly sized. How hard to put a higher quality mattress. I love my sleepy time.

I wish it did not even have an oven. I have never used a convection microwave, or talked to anyone that has, but the idea seems smart. I assume a higher quality mo' better oven can be put in.

Sounds like you are now Axxera fan. Is that a GM thing or a Thor thing?

I assume the noisy ride is a factor of no or little insulation.

Right now, my attraction to the 28A is the overall simplicity and the lack of a slide.

Your dislikes don't too big. I have to ask are they all correctable?
Axxera is a Thor choice in aftermarket radios (and other electronics).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #17

THOR #23131
Mattresses are personal so, to each, his own.

We do not have a "convection oven" we have a normal microwave over the Furrion oven/cooktop appliance. When we bought the MH, we did not look in the oven to see the usable size. The shelf in this POS won't allow you to cook anything taller than 4". Outside of cooking a pizza, its useless.

Axerra is the THOR choice for TV's, stereo's, etc. Crappiest electronics I have ever encountered. Not even sure if they would make good paper weights.

I tend to agree with your assessment "I assume the noisy ride is a factor of no or little insulation" but harsh truck ride contributes to many household items rattling.

Hindsight is always 20/20 or better, that said we chose this model due to no slides. We looked at many "higher end" models and manufacturers, but the slide was the deciding factor. In the end the low price point worked well for us as we have made tons of upgrades 1.2kw solar, 3000w inverter, 630amps lithium, electric fridge, 3 maxxair fans, stereos, tv's and of course bedding and we are still below the MSRP of the same model 1 year later.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:21 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I ordered my 26b with no oven and the convection microwave instead. The convection microwave works pretty well. (Read the directions. It's a little different from an oven.)

I had Bigfoot auto levelers put on mine, and they work great. Highly recommended if you choose to go with levelers.

The house speakers are pretty awful, but very easy to replace with something better if you care about that. Otherwise, the Axxera stuff in mine has been fine. Not super high quality, but no problems either.

I also recommend getting a Garmin for GPS. (I have the 980.)
Old 03-13-2022, 03:43 AM   #19

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
I have the 2015 4-Winds 28F, pretty much like this link: https://mhsrv.com/2015-thor-motor-coach-four-winds28f-wjacks-king-bed-3-cam-3-tv-150-btu-ac-1-class-c-tx-i1245078 except I have the big screen TV with DVD player & storage instead of bed over cab. Also have TV & DVD player in bedroom. I bought the best memory foam King mattress Walmart had, BUT because I don't put the slide out for a nap in a Walmart parking lot, has auto levelers, anyway, had to cut a couple feet off the end of the mattress so I can open the closet doors, the 4-6" mattress made the bed too tall when slide not out. Bed is comfy & I am only 5' tall so can sleep any direction, usually cross way on the bed so I can have the window upen at my face. I have 4 new tires & the front 2 tires maybe a 1,000 miles on & had the vehicle aligned when they were put on, and it had a new rubber roof put on (thanks to insurance/hail damage) a couple years ago. All that being said, I'm having trouble coming up with a reasonable price (I keep forgetting to write down mileage) to ask for it, time to sell, I'm 87 & city says I can't keep it in my driveway anymore and I don't want to store. So, what do y'all think is best way to sell, I won't leave at an lot, am protective of it. I've taken care of all warranty work over the years, even back to the factory for a month right after I bought. It's down side it never been under cover so graphics starting to crack. I will still take off to drive to the next state east by myself before selling, but had an oxygen problem last trip to Colorado so can't go that direction again. Gas tank full, propane half full & I am good to go. I do love my oven 'cause when going to CO my sons camp next to me & breakfast is our fav meal, biscuits & gravy, bacon or sausage & eggs, we eat inside. Everything is usable without slide out but lots of room for all when out.Curious what you think best way to sell.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:08 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Maryland
THOR #18761
We have had several 28A over past 10 yrs. Love them. First introduced to them as a rental units. Then purchased……very simple in design and limited amount of maintenance…….no need for levelers if your on level sites…..great for boondock……spend extra money to do upgrades on stuff you don’t like especially the axxetra radio which sucks. We do a lot of tailgating at grandkids ball games and tow a utility trailer or a Jeep toad. No major complaints