Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #25401
Thor Delano - dead chassis battery?

Hey everyone, newbie here...

Bought a new to me 2021 Delano 24fb. Stored outside, no battery tender (no power to plug in).

Solar keeps the coach batteries with enough juice, so I was able to turn on control panel and it said chassis battery was at 0.1v.

Went to go see if it was dead, and saw the battery warning light on the dash before hitting the start button. Surprisingly, it started right up and on the Mercedes dash info, it read 14.4v I think, which I believe is normal for a battery when engine is on.

As far as I know, the previous owner made no mods to batteries or anything (it was brought home and never used).

So my question is...am I missing something, or not understanding something here? It seems as if the battery isn't charged, and I read the sprinter has a parasitic drain on the chassis battery, yet it starts up normally?

I want to take it out on a short trip for our 1st time, but want to feel somewhat comfortable with this battery situation. Any input is appreciated [emoji106]

Mike

Old 12-05-2021, 03:21 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
If it started the alternator most likely put a charge on it. Did you try it again and see the volts on the chassis battery? Maybe go to an AutoZone and have them check. I know nothing about your RV: ours will use the house batteries to start if chassis is too low but have to push a toggle.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:24 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
What did control panel say you House batteries were, when Chassis was .1 vdc?
How long was RV stored with no power (other than solar)?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like your "Control Panel" is not really measuring the chassis battery, but the chassis buss. And where it measures is not energized until you turn the key.

You should easily be able to reproduce these circumstances and verify you see the same thing. If so, break out the multimeter and measure the chassis battery yourself when the "Control Panel" indicates essentially 0 VDC for the chassis battery.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

THOR #25401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What did control panel say you House batteries were, when Chassis was .1 vdc?

How long was RV stored with no power (other than solar)?
It's the control panel right inside the door, which controls the lights, HVAC, generator start, etc.

It was stored for 2 weeks, maybe less.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

THOR #25401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sounds like your "Control Panel" is not really measuring the chassis battery, but the chassis buss. And where it measures is not energized until you turn the key.

You should easily be able to reproduce these circumstances and verify you see the same thing. If so, break out the multimeter and measure the chassis battery yourself when the "Control Panel" indicates essentially 0 VDC for the chassis battery.
Thanks. So just get a multimeter and test the chassis battery when it's just sitting and see what it reads?
Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

THOR #25401
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
If it started the alternator most likely put a charge on it. Did you try it again and see the volts on the chassis battery? Maybe go to an AutoZone and have them check. I know nothing about your RV: ours will use the house batteries to start if chassis is too low but have to push a toggle.
I don't see any toggle or switch to use the house battery to start it. I guess that's the confusing part.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRaidermike View Post
It's the control panel right inside the door, which controls the lights, HVAC, generator start, etc.

It was stored for 2 weeks, maybe less.
Ok, you still have not said what the control panel was reading for the House Batteries when chassis reading was 0.1 vdc?

But it is clear that a Chassis battery should not drain down in two weeks unless it is defective or has a drain on it.

And it is clear the Chassis battery has 12vdc to start the engine as you did not use Emergency start or a jumpstart.

You are prepping for a trip, not only should get the voltmeter but now is best time to just play with it so you know exactly what it is doing and if that control panel is wired properly.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

THOR #25401
Quote:
Ok, you still have not said what the control panel was reading for the House Batteries when chassis reading was 0.1 vdc?

But it is clear that a Chassis battery should not drain down in two weeks unless it is defective or has a drain on it.

And it is clear the Chassis battery has 12vdc to start the engine as you did not use Emergency start or a jumpstart.

You are prepping for a trip, not only should get the voltmeter but now is best time to just play with it so you know exactly what it is doing and if that control panel is wired properly.
I can't remember exactly what the house batteries were reading on the panel. I don't think why were drained since they powered the steps and lights with no issue.

I will go take another look today and take a photo of the screen that shows the readings. And will get a voltmeter/multimeter as well. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRaidermike View Post
Thanks. So just get a multimeter and test the chassis battery when it's just sitting and see what it reads?
Yep! Compare it to what the Control Panel reads.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:

I wouldn't go ANYWHERE without knowing for sure that ALL the batteries (chassis AND house) are healthy and functional. The simplest thing to do is use a voltmeter across the terminal posts. Then get a load test at an auto parts store as a final check.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Is it possible or normal to have multiple busses inline to chassis battery?

I ask because, I found one that stays hot 12.6 vdc all the time regardless of key position. It feeds three breakers; but one in particular is the Kwikee Steps, it sends power to a switch that you can flip to turn the step's automated retraction on/off. If it is OFF (Closed) it send 12.6 vdc to the step controller; so it knows to stay extended. If Switch is ON (Open) it effectively blocks the 12.6vdc from the chassis buss. So no voltage tells the step controller to retract when there is signal that door is closed or ignition on.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Is it possible or normal to have multiple busses inline to chassis battery?
Yes.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:22 AM   #14

Model: Delano 24TT
THOR #19066
I have a 2020 Thor Delano 24TT with only 3300 miles on it. I am also a newbe. I keep it stored in a storage building with power. The chassis batter still will leak down after several weeks and cause weak starts. Noticed the same thing camping. After several days again get a week start. It seems the chassis batter is not charged unless the engine is running. We were advised by Mercedes to get a trickle charger for it.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:47 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsqrt1 View Post
I have a 2020 Thor Delano 24TT with only 3300 miles on it. I am also a newbe. I keep it stored in a storage building with power. The chassis batter still will leak down after several weeks and cause weak starts. Noticed the same thing camping. After several days again get a week start. It seems the chassis batter is not charged unless the engine is running. We were advised by Mercedes to get a trickle charger for it.
If they told me that, I would be pissed. I have never owned a Mercedes anything but if the Mfg of a motor engine told me the starting batteries needed a trickle charger I would go crazy.

If it were me

1. Take the RV to an auto parts store or similar and let them put a load test on it. You didn't say that Mercedes put a load test on it?; if they did what were the results? If battery is bad it should still be under warranty.

2. Some one might say you put on a disconnect switch. I have only used my chassis disconnect switch when temporarily parked someplace that I don't think is the safest place in the world But if it was going to be stored months some place, I would use like situation; but this is NOT your problem

Your battery is draining too fast. It is either no good, or you have too much load drawing from it. Take a picture of your battery with both posts so we can see what may be wired to it beyond normal factory stuff?
Old 12-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsqrt1 View Post
Mercedes does not allow charging from anything but their alternator in a MH, so no, the chassis battery does not get charged when plugged into SP.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:35 AM   #17

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Sprinter Battery

I also have a Thor Sprinter-based RV. The parasitic drain on the chassis battery is significant. I always disconnect the chassis battery by pulling the negative cable near the gas (diesel) pedal. Just remember to not disconnect the cable until you have shut down the engine and removed the key for 10 minutes. Otherwise, you will get a check engine warning light the next time you start the engine. It takes that long for the ECM to shut down. All of this is in the MB owners manual.

In the warm weather the Rv can sit for a month or more and I never had a problem starting the engine. In the winter, I remove both the chassis and coach batteries and put them on trickle chargers in my basement
Old 12-12-2021, 03:08 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Mercedes does not allow charging from anything but their alternator in a MH, so no, the chassis battery does not get charged when plugged into SP.
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
I also have a Thor Sprinter-based RV. The parasitic drain on the chassis battery is significant. I always disconnect the chassis battery by pulling the negative cable near the gas (diesel) pedal. Just remember to not disconnect the cable until you have shut down the engine and removed the key for 10 minutes. Otherwise, you will get a check engine warning light the next time you start the engine. It takes that long for the ECM to shut down. All of this is in the MB owners manual.

In the warm weather the Rv can sit for a month or more and I never had a problem starting the engine. In the winter, I remove both the chassis and coach batteries and put them on trickle chargers in my basement
Double wow!

My F-53 Chassis battery a NAPA FLA has never gone below 12.6 vdc no matter how long it sits. I use year around; so a month with no use is a rarity for me.

I did add a cutoff switch when I 1st bought it because of all of the things I have read before buying, but it is the one Mod that I have done on my RV that I need or use the least.

Can't imagine having to remove batteries and or using trickle chargers on a chassis engine.

See the red/white cutoff switch upper right that I had my dealer install for me. When I am working on electricals I will shut it off just as a safety precaution. But as the ACE pointed out, My Chassis battery gets the benefit of being recharged on shorepower and generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_154050.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	35194  
Old 12-12-2021, 03:17 AM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Have the chassis battery checked to be sure it is still able to take and hold a charge. If not, Mercedes Benz warranties the chassis battery for 4 years. I had mine replaced for free from Mercedes Benz once. I also plug a solar battery tender onto the chassis battery which I was told to do at the Mercedes Benz dealership. I could just disconnect the battery at the diesel pedal but I have the charger and use it all of the time it is in storage. I also had my motor home dealership install an emergency start switch that allows me to use my coach batteries to jump start my chassis battery in the event the chassis battery is dead. People may tell you that Mercedes Benz does not allow this set up but my previous Sprinter based Class B Winnebago had it from the Winnebago factory. I had my dealership order the same set up and install it on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS.

Paul
Old 12-14-2021, 12:06 AM   #20

Model: Delano 24RW
THOR #25563
We just got a 2022 Delano and the Sprinter chassis is an interesting beast. Mercedes has a ton of telemetry in there and if it's going to be parked for more than a couple of weeks, I'd recommend disconnecting the chassis battery. (I believe Mercedes says 3 weeks) I'll have to try to replicate your readings on the panel. I'd trust the readings on the dash when it comes to the chassis battery.
I have a 2021 Hyundai that has a lot of telemetry in it too, Remote lock/unlock, vehicle finder, remote start, fuel status and so on. I was on a trip over two weeks and it discontinued those features after 2 weeks before the battery got too low. I'd guess Mercedes would do something similar, but who knows?

I was impressed by what was possible after registering on Mercedes.me and getting the app on my phone, but those features come at a cost. Either they shut themselves off after a time, or they drain the battery.