Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #402
Thor Four Winds 31L

New owner - need to know how to access water pump in Thor Four Winds 31L - need to install accumulator tank...

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
9uc

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Former Daybreak Owner
State: Nevada
THOR #360
Are ya seeking info on the engine water pump or the cabin fresh water pump. If it's the latter of the two, in all the class a, including my new Daybreak, and class c units I've owned over the years, it always been in the same compartment with the fresh water tank.
9uc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

THOR #402
Water pump

Thanks for your reply. The water pump in this model is actually inside on the floor above the exterior water fresh water tank. Have to remove an access door under the inside bottom drawer to get to it... We just can't deal with the pump and pipe noise so we are installing an accumulation tank - I will keep my fingers crossed that it decreases the noise. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

State: Vermont
THOR #386
Got the same issue with my new 24c Chateau. Where are you sourcing the accumulator tank and what capacity will it accumulate?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #5

THOR #402
Just Google Shurflo accumultor tank - Camping World has a good customer response page. It will also tell you the specs. Thought we would try this before ripping into walls to insulate pipes.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Also insulate the mounting of the pump. a lot were just screwed to a flat surface thus a lot of the noise. By putting some sort your choice of rubber insulators between the mounting plate and the mounting surface will quite this down
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I have a shurflow tank I installed in our unit. It helped, but I wish there was more room. I would like to have a 2 gal. tank. It would have been a lot more beneficial. Our pump has been starting to hammer a lot more lately. Will have to consider if the pump needs work, or, replacement.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: North Carolina
THOR #512
Hi, new here. We have a 2013 Thor Chateau 31L and to have the loud pump. We don't dry camp often, but we did once this past summer. I noticed that if I left the switch for the pump in the on position at night, that the pump would make a 1 second sound every now and then. Not too often, noticed it a couple times the first night and just got up and turned the switch off. Is it normal to do that by itself? Don't have any leaks.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

State: Vermont
THOR #386
I have a 2013 Chateau 24C and have just returned from a 9000 mile road trip. We have the same issue with our pump and it appears that it only does it when the tank is full. When the tank is around 1/2 or just above it stops doing this little annoying noise. Of course you can just leave the pump off as you know. I have no idea why it does this or if it is really related to the pressure of the water in the tank when full.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
That is normal on most pumps. What it is doing is keeping a set amount of pressure in the line. The pistons in the pump have O rings sealing them. there will be a small amount of bleed back through the pump.' Now if it runs a lot look for a leak
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I agree with Frank. Ours was doing the same thing, and has for a couple years now. We didn't have any leaks either. This year when we were in CO. the pump went south on us. I replaced it with a new one, ($120) and it also cycles periodically. Just not as often. So the "leaking by" within the pump is normal I guess.