Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #23745
THOR Magnitude BB35 Cab over vibration

Hello everyone,

We are looking at purchasing a used 2020 Thor Magnitude BB35 with 9K on it. On my test drive I noticed what seemed like the bunk area over the drivers compartment seemed to be moving around alot. We do not notice any movement on our Winnie Class C Access.

I also noticed that there was what appeared to be fresh sealant where the main body meets this bun area front cap. NO apparent leaking inside.

Should I be concernend about the movement of this cap?

Other areas to check out on inspections?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy28x View Post
Hello everyone,

We are looking at purchasing a used 2020 Thor Magnitude BB35 with 9K on it. On my test drive I noticed what seemed like the bunk area over the drivers compartment seemed to be moving around alot. We do not notice any movement on our Winnie Class C Access.

I also noticed that there was what appeared to be fresh sealant where the main body meets this bun area front cap. NO apparent leaking inside.

Should I be concernend about the movement of this cap?

Other areas to check out on inspections?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. Read Judge’s post about cab over body separates on. Used rig no warranty would be an expensive repair.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Here is my thread about the front cap cab-over issue I experienced with my 2020 SV34.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...sue-22547.html

Here is another good thread about the Super C issue with the front cap.....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...sue-22547.html

While driving you will see the front cap / cab-over bounce a bit.... especially on rougher roads. it is heavy and stick out fairly far. I did notice the front cap / cab-over bounce a bit on my '18 Outlaw 29H when driving but I notice more on the Magnitude.

Another big concern is the amount of torque and twisting AutoLevel can put on the house structure (I only manual level my coach). If the front cap was not attached properly, that can eventually expose the problem.

You want to look for the following around the trim that runs from the drivers side over to the passenger side at the front cap:

- Look for any signs that a screw head may be trying to push through the trim

- While leveling the coach, have someone watch the driver side and passenger side to see if the trim starts moving or lifting

- After leveling look to see that the trim has not moved from its normal position

If you see any of the above, the front cap needs to be properly addressed.

The big problem is Thor has not been using bolts that are long enough and large enough to mount the front cap. They are also not using enough bolts.

Now this is considered a structural issue and there is a 5-year Thor Warranty on Structural Defects. I assume the Structural Warranty will transfer from the original owner but this would be a question to ask Thor directly.

My unit was fixed by the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. It is possible your unit was also fixed by Thor.. or possibly a dealer of the original owner experienced a similar issue. I would request the service records for the vehicle before purchasing it to see if there have been any issues or fixes done on the front cap / cab-over.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

THOR #23745
Judge,

Beyond thank you for that incite. We currently have a 32" access by Winnebago and our cab over does not move at all. That is what caught my eye when going for a drive.

More to come as we plan to go review the unit more closely in the coming days. I dont want to spend that kind of money on a rig only to have to pay to have it repaired to make it "right".

If by chance this fix for the cab over is not covered by warranty and idea on the cost to have it done?

Pete
Old 06-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy28x View Post
Judge,

Beyond thank you for that incite. We currently have a 32" access by Winnebago and our cab over does not move at all. That is what caught my eye when going for a drive.

More to come as we plan to go review the unit more closely in the coming days. I dont want to spend that kind of money on a rig only to have to pay to have it repaired to make it "right".

If by chance this fix for the cab over is not covered by warranty and idea on the cost to have it done?

Pete

You are welcome.... happy to provide any insight.

I don't think this repair would be too expensive if an RV shop experienced in repairs and rennovations did it. I think it only took Thor 1 1/2 - 2 days to complete the repair.

There is a member with the user ID of Boerne RV. It would appear he is an RV Technician. I believe he has fixed a couple of the Thor Super C front caps because he has commented on the repair and shared some pictures. It might be worth reaching out to him with a PM. He might be able to give you specifics.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

THOR #23745
Roger that. I will do just that!

Pete
Old 06-12-2021, 04:45 AM   #7

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Cap repair

I have repaired a few. The first one took about two and a half days of actual work and some time to figure out how to fix it.

The second one had rot to deal with Rusty screws and body fit complications. It was a challenging job Took a week because of the moisture to get out and restore the wood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C15AC86-212F-4008-A942-2A8799E1E6B8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	31297   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEEC6B3C-E28E-4492-9EC0-4C016D35050F.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	31298  

Name:	4DC53474-5249-4BAC-95B1-0209EFFD1B90.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	31299   Click image for larger version

Name:	29C0941F-21C4-4262-808E-0C28B418DC98.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	31300  

Old 06-12-2021, 04:59 AM   #8

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Cap repair

Check the seam cover at the joint of the cap to body
Look for separation over the windshield
The interior cover of the cab/bed cutout isn’t too hard to remove and take a look inside the cab cutout for loose screws and broken welds on the aluminum frame
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	271265BA-2D6E-4577-8431-CCDCF2815C28.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	31301   Click image for larger version

Name:	14E2A6DD-D454-40A3-B82D-E92A02505C96.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	31302  

Name:	1F53E20B-3093-4EF5-82EA-C187BE048A12.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	31303  
Old 06-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerne RV View Post
Check the seam cover at the joint of the cap to body
Look for separation over the windshield
The interior cover of the cab/bed cutout isn’t too hard to remove and take a look inside the cab cutout for loose screws and broken welds on the aluminum frame

The seam cover on my 2020 Magnitude started to buldge and the move exposing broken and missing screws.

Since it was still covered uner warranty I took it to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa. They said the factory is not using the right bolts and enough bolts and this is what happens once some flexing occurs.

They used better bolts and more of them plus a special bonding sealant around the area where the cap is attached to the house.

I'm hoping their fix holds up..... or I'm coming to visit you!!!!

I won't know how it holds up until we take our two months trip out west later this summer.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The seam cover on my 2020 Magnitude started to buldge and the move exposing broken and missing screws.

Since it was still covered uner warranty I took it to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa. They said the factory is not using the right bolts and enough bolts and this is what happens once some flexing occurs.

They used better bolts and more of them plus a special bonding sealant around the area where the cap is attached to the house.

I'm hoping their fix holds up..... or I'm coming to visit you!!!!

I won't know how it holds up until we take our two months trip out west later this summer.
Judge do you know if the factory service center had effective input to the factory doing the assembly to get them to change their procedures and use correct hardware? Mine is a 2021 and I would hope that they, Thor people, would talk to each other.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Judge do you know if the factory service center had effective input to the factory doing the assembly to get them to change their procedures and use correct hardware? Mine is a 2021 and I would hope that they, Thor people, would talk to each other.
Don’t count on it. Service center folks want to remain employed and quality improvements hinder that effort. A Tiffin owner we know was told that in Red Bay about 5 years ago (before the Thor acquisition).
Old 06-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

THOR #2228
The F-550s are notorious for having the cab over front cone coming loose from the main cabin area. Thor only uses small self tapping screws that rust and break. I have removed my trim strip on the side and repositioned the nose cone then replaced the factory screws with larger stainless screws. No problems now. The whole job is only about an hour.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by trowan View Post
The F-550s are notorious for having the cab over front cone coming loose from the main cabin area. Thor only uses small self tapping screws that rust and break. I have removed my trim strip on the side and repositioned the nose cone then replaced the factory screws with larger stainless screws. No problems now. The whole job is only about an hour.

It’s not an F-550 issue. It’s a Thor issue.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #14

THOR #2228
Exactly, just like I said Thor uses cheap screws and not enough. Mine were rusted and broken.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 AM   #15

Model: BH35
State: Washington
THOR #19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by trowan View Post
What size and length of screws did you use? Thanks
Old 07-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #16

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
The trim bulge

Okay picked up my 2022 Magnitude a week ago. Literally drive from dealer to factory showed signs of separation, fortunately I was already in route to Thor service for some other issues. When they peeled back trim I was advised the screws appeared to be over torqued and not a separation issue, but similar symptoms. I was filled in on the fix also, they have now placed a metal plates between front cap and box section so the screws are not just relying on wood for grab.

The trim was starting to bulge in the middle of the wall between box and front cap. Caught in quickly thanks to Judge previous post. You will have to zoom in to see it and rotate the photo trim should be running vertical, but I couldn’t figure out how to rotate photo on upload.

Thor has really stepped up to resolve my issues. They actually have been quite amazing. I recommend anyone that needs service, warranty or not, to make an appointment at Thor service. Their rates are very reasonable and they obviously know what they are doing, and if they need access to the build factory to obtain more knowledge on the problem they will drive right to assembly line to try to figure out what the problem is. A+ on service so far and customer service.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42A22946-6F03-461E-9F69-34653371C5B7.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	32232  
Old 07-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Okay picked up my 2022 Magnitude a week ago. Literally drive from dealer to factory showed signs of separation, fortunately I was already in route to Thor service for some other issues. When they peeled back trim I was advised the screws appeared to be over torqued and not a separation issue, but similar symptoms. I was filled in on the fix also, they have now placed a metal plates between front cap and box section so the screws are not just relying on wood for grab.

The trim was starting to bulge in the middle of the wall between box and front cap. Caught in quickly thanks to Judge previous post. You will have to zoom in to see it and rotate the photo trim should be running vertical, but I couldn’t figure out how to rotate photo on upload.

Thor has really stepped up to resolve my issues. They actually have been quite amazing. I recommend anyone that needs service, warranty or not, to make an appointment at Thor service. Their rates are very reasonable and they obviously know what they are doing, and if they need access to the build factory to obtain more knowledge on the problem they will drive right to assembly line to try to figure out what the problem is. A+ on service so far and customer service.

The screws being over-torqued (along with the scres being too small and not enough of them) will eventually lead to the front cap starting to move at the attachment points.

I am glad you were able to get it fixed quickly.

I don't know if they used metal plates on the repair they did for my coach but a metal backing plate should always be used on a front and rear cap on every coach.
Plus the screws should not just be going through wood. They should going through an aluminum stud at the house side attachment points and the roof of the cab at the bottom of the cap.

I guess I will find out over time how my repair holds up. I have been on two long trips and one short trip and so far it looks ok. I have another short trip this weekend before we leave August 20 for a 7 week 6000 miles trip.

If I get back from the 6000 mile trip out west and the moulding is still in place, I will bless it as fixed.

If not, I will be selling it and replacing it with a Nexus Ghost.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #18

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Nexus

Nexus was the other direction I was considering. I really liked the all metal coach. The only two concerns I had was servicing. I know Loves is contracted to serve the chassis, but I’m not sure where I would have coach service. Being in NW Montana any service is a problem.

By the time I get back to Montana, I will have close to 6000 miles. I have been trying to get quotes for selling it if I do not have confidence in the unit by the end of the month. I love the floor plan and chassis though. I did a walk through on the RS36, but not much different than the RB34 except for the chassis, it did not have the walk through bathroom, and the bathroom was even smaller than the RB34. I assume that is to get by the slide when it’s closed, but I did not have the opportunity to see it closed.

Also I really like the 4x4 and did not know if the Nexus was 4x4. I already used it in Alabama in their red clay.

Tags
bunk area moving