Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni RB34
State: New York
THOR #20403
Thor Magnitude on the Beach

Driving my Thor Magnitude on the Beach in Montauk!
Being that I couldn't find information or pics online related to driving a Super C on the beach, i figured I share a couple. This past weekend, I had my Thor Magnitude on the sandy beaches in Montauk, NY. I was super nervous to driving on the beach being that I couldn't find solid information or experiences from other Magnitude owners. I have to say that I am very impressed with the performance of the Ford F550 4x4 on the beach. I was a little skeptical with the continental tires being more rated for road performance. I aired down following the 2/3's out rule which put me around 30-35 psi. The sand was dry and soft and i was able to get thorough it very well. It was great waking up and looking out of the front window to seeing just sand and water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5492.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	32269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5858.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	32270  

Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Man..... you have a bigger set that I do.

Even with 4-wheel drive I don't think I will take my SV34 on the beach. I have seen more than a few stuck coaches and trucks over the years.

I'm glad you were able to pull it off...... very cool for sure!
Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #3

THOR #20403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Man..... you have a bigger set that I do.

Even with 4-wheel drive I don't think I will take my SV34 on the beach. I have seen more than a few stuck coaches and trucks over the years.

I'm glad you were able to pull it off...... very cool for sure!
Hi Judge,
I was doubtful the whole time. When I first was on the trail to the beach, I started slipping in some loose sand. I found myself saying.. Why did I do this!! However after I made the turn onto the beach, it was smooth sailing. The worst part was the 3 hours it took me to clean the whole RV to make sure all the sand was out.

Btw Judge - I just printed out your upgrade list. You hit a lot of major pain points that I want to upgrade as well. I might be reaching out to you soon. As my wife wasn’t a fan of boondocking, I found that I need to add additional batteries and solar.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #4

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Wow!
I agree with Judge.
I have seen vids of coaches on the beach and some day I will but I only have 2 WD.
I may have to find a sandy spot in the parking lot next to the beach and say I did.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
That is very cool, and no doubt gutsy.

I expect much depends on the sand. We have stayed at a campground in Florida Panhandle that has (or at least had since we haven’t visited in years) some spots on the beach, and have seen regular motorhomes parked on sand. Likewise, I’ve driven 2WD family cars on hard-packed beach sand like it was concrete.

The flip side is one of my friends got his Jeep Wrangler stuck in the soft sand during a beach party. The scary thought is that if a Jeep gets stuck, what’s going to pull you out? A tractor? Fortunately there were enough of us there to push it out after some digging.

Nice looking rig by the way.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Getting stuck is just one issue. Stopping the corrosion is another and regular beach goers will have damaging rust and other metal corrosion to deal with. If you ever looked at a beach house, rust and corrosion everywhere and a constant battle to keep it at bay and replacing things. I have driven on the beach in WA and Galveston but washed everything a bunch.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #7

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: New Jersey
THOR #21905
This is awesome to see... I have been looking for some actual omni/magn' info on beach driving and had not found any.

I did see a post that someone had got stuck (however, they did not air down) in sand (desert type area/road) with their omni/magn' and toad, and then used their toad jeep to pull the coach out and continue on... after airing down....
1999 Coachman TruckCamper 125
bandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Super-cool that you were able to make it happen...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Apparently boondocking popularity and campground shortages is making off-road camping more tempting — to the point a recent ad I received from Cruise America had various compact motorhomes in remote settings. It’s kind of odd in that years ago they discouraged or prohibited what they now use for advertising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2ACC39E0-FCA1-41C8-9A34-159018F45FC0.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	32282  
Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But you gotta admit: it sure makes for a pretty picture!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Make sure you rinse the underside really good to remove all the salt and sand. Tons of half painted frames and inferior metal and screws from the manufacturers. Go behind the rinse with a metal spray protector like you use on outboard motors, etc.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But you gotta admit: it sure makes for a pretty picture!

Only reason I haven’t unsubscribed is for some of the pictures that may inspire me to try something new, or visit new places. The little Thor 19G get my attention most. They are about the largest motorhome I’d want to drive on a normal beach, and only after 4X4 upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	589A7399-8AA0-472A-9B62-1B1EB9B62B9C.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	32287  
Old 07-29-2021, 01:12 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They ARE cute: aren-t they?
I keep telling my kid that he should find one for him and his bride. She grew up camping in a Road-Trek.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #14

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Beach parking

I was wondering how my RB34 would handle soft sand. Thanks for sharing. I am a little more confident now.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #15

THOR #20403
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
I was wondering how my RB34 would handle soft sand. Thanks for sharing. I am a little more confident now.
Yes, that’s why I posted. I like to investigate bonfire doing things and I could find any information on this topic. The rv handled very well on the Montauk sand. Just need to air down. Again, I used the 2/3 out rule and it seemed good.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Earlier this week we were at Huguenot Memorial Park in Jacksonville where they allow driving on the beach. The sand is hard packed enough for regular cars. I did see a 1 ton dually truck with a large Truck Camper in the bed on the beach but no motorhomes - my ACE stayed in the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210623_100529748.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	32403  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Sure is nice to read some Thor owners actually know going to a salt water beach could ruin your truck with all the salt and sand getting stuck under the rig. I agree with you to rinse and spray the "underbelly" of the entire rig to make sure corrosion is stopped in the early process ! I live in eastern Canada, those who use their rigs in winter face huge issues when not taking the proper care pertaining to salty enviroments. Most roads in the North have soo much abrasives the unprotected rigs are quickly ruined !
(By the way, I love the beach, salt and sand ... 😎 )

My two cents anyway !

Happy trails ! 🚍
Old 08-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #18

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
Back in the 80's we took our 34 foot Class A Fleetwood Pace Arrow on the beach at Daytona Beach, Florida. It was like driving on concrete! I have reservations at Montauk for this Fall. I hope I have the same good luck you did! My coach today is a 32 foot Jayco Precept and is pretty heavy. Am I nuts?
Old 08-08-2021, 01:22 AM   #19

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzerj@comcast.net View Post
Back in the 80's we took our 34 foot Class A Fleetwood Pace Arrow on the beach at Daytona Beach, Florida. It was like driving on concrete! I have reservations at Montauk for this Fall. I hope I have the same good luck you did! My coach today is a 32 foot Jayco Precept and is pretty heavy. Am I nuts?
You are asking for opinions, so YES.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #20

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Bought my SV34 for exactly this. Did you already have your Beach permit or did you get it when you went out? I was told they're not giving any out until Labor day. How tough was the inspection? My biggest concern is the spare, Ranger told me Duallies dont need a spare but Im concerned I'll get a different story when Im there. Was up in the Cape 2 weeks ago and their ORV permit, inspection was a breeze. Super excited to get out there!
Also, if you're not aware, there's a boating wash called SALTAWAY. Would be a good idea to wash the rig down with it once you get home and away from the sand.

Tags
4x4, beach, off-road, super c, thor magnitude