Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
Thor Magnitude inverter circuits

anyone have a link to the inverter wiring diagram? Im trying to identify the two lines from the inverter and where they land. thx!

Old 09-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
anyone have a link to the inverter wiring diagram? Im trying to identify the two lines from the inverter and where they land. thx!
BH 35 here so my wiring is probably a bit different than yours.

However you can surf over to the Thor Owner's Resource, where you can access all the info on your coach. If you haven't already, create an account (you'll need the VIN from your coach). Then you can access all the diagrams, manuals and videos pertaining to your coach model.

Hope that helps!
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:39 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751

I’ve got an SV34.

The AC input Romex runs from the 15A Breaker labeled “TV Recptacles” in the Power Distribution Panel to the input of the Inverter. Any time you want to test your Inverter when in shore power, just turn thsi braker off.

The AC output Romex from the Inverter runs back to junction box under my bed where they split off to the two fridges, outside TV, cab-over TV, outlet inside the cabinet over the dinette and one of the outlets next to the bed.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #4

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I’ve got an SV34.

The AC input Romex runs from the 15A Breaker labeled “TV Recptacles” in the Power Distribution Panel to the input of the Inverter. Any time you want to test your Inverter when in shore power, just turn thsi braker off.

The AC output Romex from the Inverter runs back to junction box under my bed where they split off to the two fridges, outside TV, cab-over TV, outlet inside the cabinet over the dinette and one of the outlets next to the bed.
thx judge! Ive the sv34 also. The inverter itself seems to have 2 white romex outputs that dont seem to land on the panel. Are you saying theres a separate junction box under the bed?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

THOR #12751

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
thx judge! Ive the sv34 also. The inverter itself seems to have 2 white romex outputs that dont seem to land on the panel. Are you saying theres a separate junction box under the bed?

A couple of things……

Xantrex and most Inverter manufacturers recommend a subpanel on the output side of the Inverter. Thor cuts corners and does not install one.

They only use a breaker for the AC input side to the inverter. This is fine when on shore or generator power but when the transfer switch moves to Inverter AC power, there is no breaker protection on that Inverter circuit.

Next…. I have one Romex run from the Power Distribution Panel and a 15A breaker to the input side of the Inverter. I then have another single Romex run from the output side of the Inverter that runs up to the dinette seat next to the bathroom wall and then under the bathroom sink and over to the area under the bed…. at least as best as I can follow it.

But there is no breaker / subpanel on the AC output of the Inverter. It just splits off to the various outlets as indicated by the schematics for the Inverter powered circuit. On my schematics it is labeled as the 5B circuit.

One of my next planned modifications is adding a subpanel on the output side and putting a few other circuits on the Inverter now that I have installed LiFePO4 batteries. If the Magnitude holds up well in our current big trip, this will be my spring project.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:54 AM   #6

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
A couple of things……

Xantrex and most Inverter manufacturers recommend a subpanel on the output side of the Inverter. Thor cuts corners and does not install one.
My schematic shows a 15 A breaker with the inverter, just like it shows two 30 A breakers on the generator. Does yours show the same?
Old 09-08-2021, 03:16 AM   #7

THOR #12751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
My schematic shows a 15 A breaker with the inverter, just like it shows two 30 A breakers on the generator. Does yours show the same?

That 15A breaket is for the AC input to the Inverter transfer switch. It is not labeled Inverter in my SV34. It is labeled “TV Receptacles” but it is the AC input to the Inverter and the transfer switch passes the AC throught to the TV’s Fridges, etc. on thay circuit.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
I gotcha. The reason for the sub panel is to isolate all those items you listed that are on the inverter circuit. I was wondering why that little “junction box” i have under my dinette is. I think there are four romex lines joining together. I suppose i could put a sub panel on its place.