Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Thor Omni full slide

Greetings all,

I hope youíre all having fun while out and about in your rigs. I have been out several times with our 2021 Thor Omni BH35. We havenít had any major issues until this past weekend. When I attempted to retract the full slide, I could hear the motor start working and it immediately stopped. This happened several times without the slide closing. I had power and all of the fuses were good. The engineís motor was running and the break was activated. The house batteries were also on.

Believing I was stranded, I called the technical support line which I was on hold for at least 20 minutes. In my book of notes, I recalled reading the reset sequence code on the main panel (pushing the retract - extend button six times and then holding the retract button). The reset worked, but the slide would only retract for approximately 2 inches before stopping. Needless to say, I did the sequence process over and over until the slide was fully retracted. We arrived home and I let our rig sit overnight. The following morning, I attempted to extend the slide yet again. I could hear the motor activate, but now it wouldnít move.

I am dropping the rig with my dealer and theyíre going to inspect it later this week.

My question is has anyone ever experienced this problem with their rig? If so, what was the remedy to resolve the issue?? We have a Pismo Beach trip planned next month. I want to be sure they resolve the issue properly so that I donít experience the issue the next time we are out. I realize there are no guarantees with RVing, but with all of your experience you might be able to point me and their technicians in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your insight and safe travels!

Pat

Old 05-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Search on SLIDE lots of posts
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is the controller flashing a code?
Old 05-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Not sure if this helps but you may want to read my thread to see what I dealt with on my Magnitude SV34.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ent-26397.html

First, the Controller Override procedure is to press the Reset button on the Controller 6 times and then hold it on the 7th press for 5 seconds (see the proper LCI procedure below).

It could be a couple things. Since you have a dealer appointment, I would not do anything else at this point. But if you were out and this happened I would....

- First, try to synchronize the motors by making sure the slide was fully extended then closing about 6 inches.... stopping... and then fully extendeding the slide again (an be sure to hold the extend button for at least 5 seconds after the motors stop moving. Do this three or four times and see if the slide will close evenly and completely.

- If that doesn't work or the slide is stuck or not moving evenly, I would go through the Manual Override procedure and then try to close the slide. If it closes properly, I would then put the Controller back into its normal mode and then resync the motors.

It almost sounds to me like one of your motors is out of sync for some reason. If you are not holding the Extend and Retract buttons a full 5 seconds after the slide stops opening or closing every time, then the motors will get out of sync.

It could also be an issue like I had where a screw was sticking out of the slide trim and knocked off the top of the motor causing damage to the sensors that measure the motor rotations to keep the motors in sync.

It could also be an issue with a V-Roller adjustment and the slide binding because it is not rolling freely on the floor.

You also want to check to make sure something is not blocking the slide inside or outside the coach is not obstructing the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 6.57.40 PM.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	30772  
Old 05-25-2021, 01:47 AM   #5

THOR #22133
Thanks fellas,

Scuba,
I was able to find Judgeís post regarding a similar issue he had with his rig.

EA3,
The controller was not blinking during the malfunction.

Judge,
Thank you. I was not aware you had to depress the buttons for at least five seconds. At this point Iíll have the dealer inspect it.

Will the slide go out of alignment if the rig isnít entirely level while retracting?

Thanks again for all of your insight!

Pat
Old 05-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #6

THOR #20220
No I have had slides for years. I do make sure the slide side is 1" or 2" higher than passenger side.since single slide weight is heavy "Will the slide go out of alignment if the rig isn’t entirely level while retracting?*"
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-25-2021, 02:14 AM   #7

THOR #22133
Thank you Scuba!
Old 05-25-2021, 02:19 AM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Thanks fellas,

Judge,
Thank you. I was not aware you had to depress the buttons for at least five seconds. At this point Iíll have the dealer inspect it.

Will the slide go out of alignment if the rig isnít entirely level while retracting?

Thanks again for all of your insight!

Pat
Being slightly out of level should not cause an issue. The biggest thing that will cause a motor sync issue is lifting off the Extend or Retract buttons immediately. After the slide and motors stop you need to keep holding the button or the motors can get out of sync over time.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:27 AM   #9

THOR #22133
Thanks Judge!
Old 05-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #10

THOR #12751
One other thought.....

If you are a little out of level front-to-back, I would not think you would have an issue. The garage I had built to store my coach has a very slight slope forward to allow any water to drain out the front door. I've not had any issues with my slide binding if I don't put the jacks down to level perfectly.

Now if you were out of level well over a half-bubble left-to-right, the weight of the hevay full-wall slide may be putting too much torque on the slide mechanism.... especially if the V-Rollers are not adjusted properly.... and it could have caused enough binding that it stopped the motor on the side it was binding most.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #11

THOR #22133
Copy that Judge! Thank you
Old 05-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #12

Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH35
State: Arizona
THOR #20328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Greetings all,

I hope youíre all having fun while out and about in your rigs. I have been out several times with our 2021 Thor Omni BH35. We havenít had any major issues until this past weekend. When I attempted to retract the full slide, I could hear the motor start working and it immediately stopped. This happened several times without the slide closing. I had power and all of the fuses were good. The engineís motor was running and the break was activated. The house batteries were also on.

Believing I was stranded, I called the technical support line which I was on hold for at least 20 minutes. In my book of notes, I recalled reading the reset sequence code on the main panel (pushing the retract - extend button six times and then holding the retract button). The reset worked, but the slide would only retract for approximately 2 inches before stopping. Needless to say, I did the sequence process over and over until the slide was fully retracted. We arrived home and I let our rig sit overnight. The following morning, I attempted to extend the slide yet again. I could hear the motor activate, but now it wouldnít move.

I am dropping the rig with my dealer and theyíre going to inspect it later this week.

My question is has anyone ever experienced this problem with their rig? If so, what was the remedy to resolve the issue?? We have a Pismo Beach trip planned next month. I want to be sure they resolve the issue properly so that I donít experience the issue the next time we are out. I realize there are no guarantees with RVing, but with all of your experience you might be able to point me and their technicians in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your insight and safe travels!

Pat
Pat,

We have a 2021 BH 25 and this happened to me as well. The exact same issue you had. I called Thor and my dealer and they were notmuch help. I thought I was stranded and decided to check everything top to bottom as the slide had been working perfectly all day.

I checked the controller first and found that items from the driver side of the upper storage compartment slide into the wiring going into the controller which is located in the passenger side front storage compartment (Sam compartment as your power inverter). The driver and passenger side compartments are connected by a 5 inch crawl type space which we use to store tables and fishing poles. A table shifted into the wire connector and disconnect it.

It easy solution when all the trouble shooting didnt work.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #13

THOR #22133
CB,
Thanks for your response. I didnít check the wiring, but Iíll certainly call the Thor Rep. in the morning. Iíll also be far more cognizant of how I pack my rig going forward.

Pat
Old 05-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

THOR #20220
there slide controller wiring in my storage compartment outside the coach. I only put rugs and folding chairs carefully in there. I will go in a secure the wires agai after reading thispost thx
Old 05-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
This is just my opinion but I don't like full wall slides. Too much chance of failures in RVs. Yes they make a big open space but RVs are not particularly strong structures and when you cut and frame up a large hole, that structure is weakened. Large slides are heavy and moving that heavy thing in and out repeatedly is problematic. Setting up in an out of level situation and you have binding and bending. My new XG32 Omni has a rather big living area slide but isn't the full wall that all the other Omni/Magnitudes use. In it are heavy things, refrigerator, stove components, sink, dining booth. While this isn't a full wall slide I need to make sure I am as level as possible before deploying the slide, otherwise I'm asking for trouble.

I have rejected many RV plans because they had full wall slides. Perhaps if a person travels twice a year, north to south and return, they may escape problems, but for those who travel and set up frequently, I see this as a plan for problems. YMMV
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #16

THOR #12751
I agree on the full wall slide...... unfortunately the XG32 floor plan did not work for us. We needed a king size bed and the DW wanted the outdoor kitchen. The SV34 fit the bill for us so we rolled the dice with the full wall slide.

I carry a spare motor and controller. I inspect the slide mechanism regularly to try and catch problems before they happen. With any luck I'll be able to handle an issue if one comes up. If it becomes a chronic point of failure, I'll sell it and spend the extra money to move up to something with a better design, construction and materials like a Dynamax, Nexus or Renegade.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The single full wall slide and inability to use the bed without retracting the slide are 2 reasons we walked away from the Magnitude and went with the Accolade. That plus air brakes, air suspension and a class 7 chassis.

When we bought the Challenger we kept away from the full wall slide. The problems with those slides go back over 8 years, are well documented and people continue to buy them. I guess some folks hope to be the first to not have an issue with the slide.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Full wall slides create design compromises beyond the slide and or structure itself. One is that it typically forces bathroom to passenger side, complicating black tank plumbing. On larger units with tanks and plumbing in heated basement it is not too bad, but some smaller and medium rigs with external tanks create unnecessary issues.

Also, by having bathroom on passenger side, it often leads to kitchen on driver side, so it is in the slide. That too adds complexity beyond the slide itself.

Recently Iíve noticed quite a few new floorplans that essentially split the driver-side full wall slide into two (one in front/living and one in back/bedroom), with bathroom in between on driver side. Kitchen is then on non-slide passenger side. This approach seems to solve many design issues, except that weight of two small slides and black tank end up on driver side. Having said that, itís probably no worse than the off-center weight of a full wall slide.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #19

THOR #22133
Thanks everyone,
I rolled the dice with the full wall slide because the Accolade was out of my price range. Weíre lucky we were close to home, but hoping weíll work the kinks out before taking a long adventure. If it continues to persist, we will also consider selling and upgrading.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #20

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The single full wall slide and inability to use the bed without retracting the slide are 2 reasons we walked away from the Magnitude and went with the Accolade. That plus air brakes, air suspension and a class 7 chassis.

When we bought the Challenger we kept away from the full wall slide. The problems with those slides go back over 8 years, are well documented and people continue to buy them. I guess some folks hope to be the first to not have an issue with the slide.
As with any RV everything is a compromise and for me size matters and I'm already a foot over my target maximum or 32'. I also didn't want "break-a-bed" or a king. We liked much of an Entegra Esteem 29V but at 32.5 on a E-450 chassis it had enormous overhang and low CCC. Nice roomy shower though. If I start requiring everything I want I'm back over 40'. My XG32 is the best combination of compromises I found that gives a heavier chassis, F-550, usable convenient space, and hopefully solidly built. BUT compromises there are. Full wall slides were one I was not going to make.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote