Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mr Beaumont View Post
I just want Thor to honor their warranty. I'm having to drive my RV to the factory from Dallas to get repaired here in a month or two. What a pain, not to mention expense.
If you it that way. Take a NUMBERED list of all items. We used our list to jump in the middle of thor and service center. Really helped move things

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #82

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Not quite right. Some coaches are built in-place one at a time, with specific crews moving from one model coach to another - Thor MC plant 850 and Newmar. Other plants use a moving production line where the workers and parts to be installed or made are assembled by the same crew at the station - Entegra RED and Thor MC Plant 750. Plant 750 also uses batch production, so all the coaches of a similar type are produced about every 6 weeks. The coach spends one day each station and there will be 7 to14 coaches at the station. The floor workers at that station go home when the assigned work is finished or at 3:30 pm. The night shift does the next days prep-work and finished anything left undone. The first time I was there the were producing only ACE29.x coaches (12 a day), but the second trip they were producing Hurricane/Windsport 34R and 35M (7 a day). Plant 750 has a capacity of about 2,200 coaches per model year, but produces only coaches specifically ordered by their dealers.

At Entegra, the line has 12 stations with 2 coaches at each station (they intermix 37 to 45 ft coaches together) and each coach spends 2 days at each station, so about 4 weeks to build a coach. They, then, go off to the paint shop for two additional weeks. Entegra Coach produces 400 coaches per model year
This is good stuff. I once visited a Bluebird Mfg facility in Winnipeg and their assembly for their busses were similar. They made school buses and city transportation buses all at the same facility and they did a lot of switching of the assembly lines to process orders by School districts and/or City Metro orders.

I would love to be able to conduct a few random PDIs on brand new RVs from Thor or any RV Mfg before hitting the Dealer. I know for a FACT that both Thor RVs that failed my PDI were due to issue encountered with the RV while sitting on the dealer's lot. If I wanted to; they had others, but not at the price I was willing to pay. It didn't take long for me to figure the game the dealers were playing as they will lower the price of the RV based on how long it sits on the lot. The longer it sits on the lot the more neglected and abused it may get. I also believe that as dealer try to fix item A; they may break or damage items B & C in the process. If you want perfection like I did, find a very good dealer and inspect the RV to the nth degree before buying. My motto "don't buy crap; if you do don't be surprised that you have crap" So takeaway; take the PDIs seriously.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #83

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
As a data point, here is a list of problems I've experienced on my 2018 Chateau 31E. Lots of small stuff, but also some big items like the levelers not working, the generator failing, the slideout not working, the wing walls de-laminating, and the bottom of the main storage compartment rotting out. Thankfully I can fix most stuff myself, but there is usually something I need to fix after every trip. It will be going into the shop in a few weeks to fix some structural items like the overhead cap not being properly secured to the cab, and some slideout repairs and alignment.
Someone wrote that the design is good but the construction is poor, but I think that even the design is poor. Most of the interior construction is just particle board screwed together, and after tens of thousands of miles of shaking on the road stuff just falls apart. The mud flaps were just supported by a couple of small sheet metal screws that ripped out on the first trip.
]I've also done a lot of upgrades to make it nicer to drive. Big swaybars, a steering controller, new shocks, rear helper springs, custom alignment. Also installed sound dampening and insulation in the doghouse and cab floor and installed carpet in the cab. And replaced the stereo and speakers.

- Expanding foam crumbled in left side stowage compartment
o Applied new expanding foam and painted black
· Trim at front of slide was loose when new
o Glued/sealed with silicone adhesive
· Bottom of drawers popped out in kitchen and bedroom
o Fixed drawers with glue and staples
· Hinges ripped out for stowage under bed
o Installed new screws
· Mud flaps in front of rear tires – supports ripped out.
o Used zip ties to secure flaps
o Installed screws and covered with gorilla tape
· Water leaking inside from under slide
o Tightened fitting on water heater
· Compartment doors over sofa come open while driving
o Installed magnetic latches
· Weatherstripping in stowage compartment by entry door came out, leaving gaps to outside.
o Re-installed weatherstripping and sealed with gorilla tape
o Gorilla tape came off, so sealed it with Flex Seal
· Auto leveling jacks failed with a “low voltage” error
o Repaired by fixing battery grounds
· Metal bar came off front right window blind
o Blind replaced under warranty
· Kitchen window blind would not stay closed
o Blind replaced under warranty
· Generator wiring conduit melted on generator exhaust pipe
o Wrapped housing with friction tape and secured to frame using zip ties
o Conduit was replaced during later generator repair
· Generator cranks but will not start
o Had ignition coil and control module replaced under warranty
o Also replaced melted conduit
· Track for bedroom sliding door ripped out of overhead
o Secured with new screws and additional screws
· Trim over front of dinette bench lifted
o Glued down with Titebond
· Rear bedroom window valence/shade fell off
o Re-attached with larger screws
· Intermittent propane smell
o Camping World found a leak at regulator and repaired it
· Coach wing walls delaminated underneath coach
o Wing walls replaced under warranty (Oct 2018)
· Slide stops half-way while retracting (intermittently)
o Re-synced motors, but still happens occasionally (Oct 2018)
o Camping World did adjustment (Dec 2018), working okay for now
· Fuse for bedroom, hallway, and kitchen light keeps blowing (Oct 2018)
o Camping World repaired electrical short (Jan 2019)
· Light under awning not working (noticed after wing wall replacement) (Oct 2018)
o Camping World replaced LED light strip (Jan 2019)
· Interior decorative trim fell off upper right of slideout
o Re-glued it (Oct 2018)
· Rear window blind will not stay down
o Received replacement from Thor and installed it (Nov 2018)
· Kitchen window blind will not stay down (2nd time) (Nov 2018)
· All propane stopped working (Nov 2018)
o Replaced regulator with an MB Sturgis regulator
o Discovered holes in hose to grill connection – probably chewed by squirrels
o Replaced hose and installed squirrel guard on portion of hose inside wheel well
· Battery hold-down straps broke (Dec 2018)
o Replaced straps with new ones, which broke after one trip
o Replaced them with Atwood straps (Jan 2019)
· Battery disconnect switch not working (Jan 2019)
o Replaced relay assembly
· Cannot insert key into entry door lock (Jan 2019)
o Installed new entry door latch/lock (April 2019)
· Left front tire had excessive inner tread wear (June 2019)
o Got alignment done
o Replaced tire with new Hankook Dynapro HT
· Wood panel at side of front dinette bench fell off (Aug 2019)
o Installed bolts to re-secure it (was just screws into particle board)
· Inside rear tire driver’s side went flat. This also caused excessive wear on outer tire. (Aug 2019)
o Replaced inside rear tire as an emergency repair during trip (Cooper Discoverer HT3)
o Replaced outer tire later at home (Hankook Dynapro HT)
· Inside right rear tire blew out (Oct 2019)
o Emergency repaired with a Sailun Terramax tire
· Slideout would not extend (May 2020). Front motor failed.
o Both slideout motors were replaced
· Fridge will not operate on AC power (green light gives 3 flashes) (June 2020)
o Replaced AC heater element
· Rear bedroom vent fan will not turn on (June 2020)
o Replaced circuit board
· Generator exhaust hanger came off
o Reattached to RV using larger screw, and tightened exhaust clamp at muffler
· Check engine light (July 2020). Codes for Bank 1 Catalyst Below Threshold and Evaporative Control System Leak.
o Century Ford replaced purge valve and an elbow fitting that was chewed by a squirrel.
o However, check engine light came back on 2 days later with same codes.
o Catalytic converter and an O2 sensor were replaced August 2020.
· Front right tire had tread cupping and lots of road noise (July 2020).
o Replaced front tires with General Grabber HTS
o Got an alignment done, including installing camber/caster bushings
· Main stowage compartment floor rotted & delaminated (Aug 2020).
o Replaced with new exterior grade plywood, new vinyl flooring, and sealed with weatherstripping, expanding foam, and caulk.
· Outer right rear tire had a blowout. Sept. 2020, `48,000 miles
o Replaced both rear right tires
· Cabinet door over fridge fell apart
o Glued it back together
· Wooden grate under fridge cracked
o Glued it back together
· Received low voltage errors at leveler panel (May 2021)
o Believe to be batteries not holding charge
o Replaced batteries with DuraLast RV deep cycle flooded batteries
o Problem not resolved, it appears that the coach batteries are not charging from the alternator.
o Replaced the Trombetta relay, problem fixed
· Trim board over bedroom sliding door came off multiple times
o Glued and screwed it back on
· Microwave oven fell off the wall (Aug 2021)
o Reattached with larger screws and nails
· Check engine light with code P2247 (O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1), (Nov 2021)
o Replaced left front O2 sensor
Wow.
I have a 2020 Four Winds 31y, basically same camper as you.
I'm feeling better about having to fix a couple things.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #84

THOR #22342
Don't buy anything Thor. The quality sucks shitty workmanship and they skimp on the size screws and supports. It leaves the factory knowing it's a bad product and their dealers are just as bad. Since trip one things just jump off my 31f Quantum. A list too big to print. Spent countless phones never got back to me until I gave up. Now I have a large rolling pile of crap. That now has cracks in the rear cap. I spend extra time not enjoying 100k shit box but constantly repairing it. All of this with just 5k on the speedo.

Could you breakdown what exactly you are having issues with? I purchased new in 2020 and all issues have been worked with the THOR tech ops. Some parts and repairs were fully reimbursed.

I would be happy to walk you through any issues you might be having. This forum has been a treasure trove of experience and the YouTube channels can explain everything and everything.

Most of the systems on the RV are probably new to you and the electrical system has its own logic.

Did you purchase your RV new from an authorized THOR dealer? Do you understand what is covered by warranty? Have you fully read your owners manual? Have you used your RV in an acceptable manner.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #85

State: California
THOR #19288
Thor 31f.

The worst on quality I've ever seen. Constantly have things falling off or breaking. And trying to get service Never never buy from Mike Thompson. Rv. The absolute worst service and the lack of communication with the service department is always a problem. My coach has been the for a month on appointment to have it recorded with maxguard. And a water intrusion that came about on the way to the service appointment. So do yourself a favor don't buy new and never Mike Thompson rv. Been dealing with this for 3 years only because of the extended warranty I bought. There is always some issue.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #86
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertirvine1 View Post
The worst on quality I've ever seen. Constantly have things falling off or breaking. And trying to get service Never never buy from Mike Thompson. Rv. The absolute worst service and the lack of communication with the service department is always a problem. My coach has been the for a month on appointment to have it recorded with maxguard. And a water intrusion that came about on the way to the service appointment. So do yourself a favor don't buy new and never Mike Thompson rv. Been dealing with this for 3 years only because of the extended warranty I bought. There is always some issue.
How's this rant differ from your most recent post over a year ago?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:35 PM   #87

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m always sorry to see such anger. Especially over something that is supposed to be “recreational”. And I don’t discount anyone’s personal experiences. But this is by no means a universal experience. I had VERY few problems with the Freedom Elite we had a few years ago and I found Thor to be helpful, courteous and flexible with the few minor issues I had. If I had this much frustration I’d certainly try a different repair shop.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:04 PM   #88

Model: ACE
State: Ohio
THOR #11446
Our Thor ACE has been a maintenance nightmare. Prior to purchasing the Thor, we owned a KZ toy hauler. Now that was a quality product!
Old 02-18-2023, 11:57 PM   #89

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Thpr Industries is a holding company. Each Thor plant is manged by the plant management committee. Each plant has its own engineering, production and sales staff. Thor MC has 8 plants (factories) named by plant numbers 150 to 850. Jayco, Entegra and Tiffin are Thor Industries brands

Just because your Thor Industries product doesn't meet your specifications does not mean all the other Thor industries RVs are built, and inspected the same way. What is built by Thor Industries Jackson Center plant, OH has absolutely nothing to do with the Thor Industries plants in Wakarusa, IN.
If you did not spend at least 24 hours living in your new RV on the dealers lot or in the delivery barn, before you drove off the lot, it is your mistake. Most of the better Thor dealers carry parts to fix the things that commonly fail during the PDI. Did you dealer show you a copy of the dealer's delivery checklist which Thor MC requires be sent to them on the dealers acceptance of the RV? If they did copy it as part of the sales package, they probably did not check all the required systems for proper operation.

You will probably pay a little more at NIRVC or MHSRV, but you probably have a better experience.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:51 AM   #90

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How's this rant differ from your most recent post over a year ago?
I got bored and curious earlier and researched his previous comments. When he says that his research said thor had the fewest complaints, all credibility is lost. First since TMS builds the most RVs and even if everyone was on par with quality, thor would have more complaints. Where did he look, thor sales brochures or perhaps sales reps blogs??

Beau is right, some thor owned products are good. I've had 2 Keystone Raptors and both were well built. But the worst RV was my most recent thor branded onmi. I won't rehash why it was a literal POS, but it was. I went from that to great quality in the Renegade. Is the Renegade perfect, no because common items such as A/C, furniture, stoves are made by 3rd party. At least in the Valencia, Renegade doesn't put in bottom line stuff, but not top line either. Need to spend 6-700K for that I reckon. Thor put in lowest quality in everything in the omni which for as much as they cost is wrong.

Good weekend and Monday I take off on a 6-8 week trip out west, TX, NM, AZ. New toad is Ram 2500 with Rampage lift and my HD Heritage classic in the back. More nervous about the bike loading in the truck than anything are related.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:57 AM   #91

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m always sorry to see such anger. Especially over something that is supposed to be “recreational”. And I don’t discount anyone’s personal experiences. But this is by no means a universal experience. I had VERY few problems with the Freedom Elite we had a few years ago and I found Thor to be helpful, courteous and flexible with the few minor issues I had. If I had this much frustration I’d certainly try a different repair shop.
Same.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:59 AM   #92

THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I got bored and curious earlier and researched his previous comments. When he says that his research said thor had the fewest complaints, all credibility is lost. First since TMS builds the most RVs and even if everyone was on par with quality, thor would have more complaints. Where did he look, thor sales brochures or perhaps sales reps blogs??

Beau is right, some thor owned products are good. I've had 2 Keystone Raptors and both were well built. But the worst RV was my most recent thor branded onmi. I won't rehash why it was a literal POS, but it was. I went from that to great quality in the Renegade. Is the Renegade perfect, no because common items such as A/C, furniture, stoves are made by 3rd party. At least in the Valencia, Renegade doesn't put in bottom line stuff, but not top line either. Need to spend 6-700K for that I reckon. Thor put in lowest quality in everything in the omni which for as much as they cost is wrong.

Good weekend and Monday I take off on a 6-8 week trip out west, TX, NM, AZ. New toad is Ram 2500 with Rampage lift and my HD Heritage classic in the back. More nervous about the bike loading in the truck than anything are related.
Have fun on your trip. Like your toad. Check out this:
https://www.hennesseyperformance.com...oduction-line/
Old 02-19-2023, 02:44 AM   #93

THOR #6411
Quote:
[snip]

Beau is right, some thor owned products are good. I've had 2 Keystone Raptors and both were well built. But the worst RV was my most recent thor branded onmi. I won't rehash why it was a literal POS, but it was. I went from that to great quality in the Renegade. Is the Renegade perfect, no because common items such as A/C, furniture, stoves are made by 3rd party. At least in the Valencia, Renegade doesn't put in bottom line stuff, but not top line either. Need to spend 6-700K for that I reckon. Thor put in lowest quality in everything in the omni which for as much as they cost is wrong..
Not quite right but a great synopsis. Plant 750 makes all the class A gas coaches from 24 to 33 ft and several of the 34 and 35 foot models. The chassis are all the same Ford F-53 for the 29 and up coaches and MORryde does the factory required chassis modification to the stripped chassis. The E-350 chassis are also moded by MORryde. There are several levels of coaches produced with the Windsport and Hurricane (both Four Winds coach names) made in the old Four Winds factory, having the highest cost interiors, with a much longer option list than on the lower cost models. I haven't visited Plant 750 since 2018, but I plant to go back this fall with my grandson. Recently, Plant 750 started assembling the Gemini and Compass AWD coaches in addition to the Freedom Travelers, ACE, Windsport and Hurricane.

On a personal level, my November 2015 model (titled as a 2016) on a September 2015 F-53 chassis has all the original stuff still working except for the awning lights. I did add Sumo springs and a rear track bar, but otherwise all the stuff done to the coach was crash repair or comfort modifications done by my DW and me.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:46 AM   #94

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Have fun on your trip. Like your toad. Check out this:
https://www.hennesseyperformance.com...oduction-line/
Loaded and ready to travel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCD7254E-5BA3-4FFA-94CF-278A2894F301_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	40955  
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-19-2023, 03:11 AM   #95

THOR #22586
Quote:
Not quite right but a great synopsis. Plant 750 makes all the class A gas coaches from 24 to 33 ft and several of the 34 and 35 foot models. The chassis are all the same Ford F-53 for the 29 and up coaches and MORryde does the factory required chassis modification to the stripped chassis. The E-350 ch
On a personal level, my November 2015 model (titled as a 2016) on a September 2015 F-53 chassis has all the original stuff still working except for the awning lights. I did add Sumo springs and a rear track bar, but otherwise all the stuff done to the coach was crash repair or comfort modifications done by my DW and me.
Don't know which plant makes the omni and magnitude but the managers there must have made a deliberate effort to cut as many corners as possible. The result is a really crappy build and inconsistent quality. Some people I guess got OK ones, or their easy to satisfy, others like me got a horrid one.

At any rate glad you are happy with your coach. I am now.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-19-2023, 03:23 AM   #96
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thpr Industries is a holding company. Each Thor plant is manged by the plant management committee. Each plant has its own engineering, production and sales staff. Thor MC has 8 plants (factories) named by plant numbers 150 to 850. Jayco, Entegra and Tiffin are Thor Industries brands

Just because your Thor Industries product doesn't meet your specifications does not mean all the other Thor industries RVs are built, and inspected the same way. What is built by Thor Industries Jackson Center plant, OH has absolutely nothing to do with the Thor Industries plants in Wakarusa, IN.
If you did not spend at least 24 hours living in your new RV on the dealers lot or in the delivery barn, before you drove off the lot, it is your mistake. Most of the better Thor dealers carry parts to fix the things that commonly fail during the PDI. Did you dealer show you a copy of the dealer's delivery checklist which Thor MC requires be sent to them on the dealers acceptance of the RV? If they did copy it as part of the sales package, they probably did not check all the required systems for proper operation.

You will probably pay a little more at NIRVC or MHSRV, but you probably have a better experience.
Thor Industries is not, repeat is not a holding company. Thor Industries is a publicly traded company with numerous operating units. When someone purchases Thor stock they purchase Thor Industries (NYSE:THO) and not stock in the operating units, or as Thor calls them, the family of companies. For instance TMC, Tiffin and Jayco do not sell their own stock.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:06 AM   #97

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thor Industries is not, repeat is not a holding company. Thor Industries is a publicly traded company with numerous operating units. When someone purchases Thor stock they purchase Thor Industries (NYSE:THO) and not stock in the operating units, or as Thor calls them, the family of companies. For instance TMC, Tiffin and Jayco do not sell their own stock.
You are correct, I misspoke. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:04 PM   #98

THOR #22586
Quote:
Loaded and ready to travel
The big picture for departure tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F003228-B443-4BEC-8653-8BC326544D2C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	40967  
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-10-2023, 05:51 AM   #99

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #29909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
After having many different units from fold down to trailer to class c, I bought my first NEW motorhome at retirement. I'm thankful it was Thor Miramar. I've found it no different than buying a new home... There's always minor issues but I love my Miramar.

The only thing I don't like is the depreciation...
Could you email me a picture of your shower door? I am looking to buy used and it is missing the shower door for some reason.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:23 PM   #100

Model: Chateau 25v
State: Florida
THOR #25787
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC Windsport View Post
Same here, the design is better than ones 4 times the price, I love the layout of my Windsport.
But yes the quality of the cabinetry is not good, and if you pull out the drawers and see exactly how poorly it's assembled, you'd be even more put off.
However, I put in the hours doing the repairs to make it slightly better and its paid off. I saved $10s of thousand of dollars buying Thor vs the ones with high quality and it took a few trips to strengthen the weak links but I have to say, every person who enters my rig goes on about how great it looks and the love the layout.
So, I saved money, have a superior usable product in exchange for a few scraped knuckles and time making repairs.
We knew what we were buying. Our brand new Chateau 25V was a kit waiting for assembly. We reinvented, repaired, replaced, fabricated, and did the things necessary to turn it into a reliable, trouble-free RV... one that we are proud to show our friends, and unafraid of taking on extended trips. The unit has not and will never see the dealership service department. We were able to make an amazing deal (shaking out the real value of our trade and the difference we paid, we are into this RV at 61% of the MSRP in terms of real money.) We've had it now for about 15 months, and could not be happier. The Chateau, with all its flaws, really lent itself to owner repair and upgrading. The poor quality and shoddy workmanship were readily apparent and easy to identify. We just made a 'hit list' and worked on it until everything was the way we want it. Buying an RV is acquiring a project. There is virtually nothing that we cannot repair or replace ourselves if we are willing to learn the necessary skills and procedures. Approaching the purchase with that frame of mind eliminates a lot of grief.