Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #19288
Thor quality.

Don't buy anything Thor. The quality sucks shitty workmanship and they skimp on the size screws and supports. It leaves the factory knowing it's a bad product and their dealers are just as bad. Since trip one things just jump off my 31f Quantum. A list too big to print. Spent countless phones never got back to me until I gave up. Now I have a large rolling pile of crap. That now has cracks in the rear cap. I spend extra time not enjoying 100k shit box but constantly repairing it. All of this with just 5k on the speedo.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I agree with your assessment, just not so stridently. OTOH, Thor does provide a low cost MH. My 2021 Thor Axis is a design masterpiece but an assembly POS. But after spending a hundred hours or more researching problems and fixing them, I have a pretty nice MH.

David
Old 11-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Sorry to hear about your RV . Unfortunately as long as we the consumer continue to buy them the RV industry has no reason to improve the way they manufacture the damn things. The RV industry didn't have a good track record before Covid and now with the surge in demand they are just throwing them out the door.
The auto makers in this country used to be in the same boat as todays RV manufacturers. It took Toyota and Datsun grabbing a big share of the market in the 70's with a well made car to wake up the US auto industry to start building a decent automobile. We need the Japanese to start building RV's and then maybe Thor and the others will start to get the idea that crap ain't gonna sell no more.
I know this isn't going to ease the pain of getting a POS. If the market is still hot perhaps you should patch it up and sell the thing. Or stick with it, fix it as is required and eventually like David you will be able to make it work for U. Either way I feel your pain!
Peace Out
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:06 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
2 years ago I would have disagreed. The suggested retail then was never taken seriously, and the quality issues were mostly forgiven - considering a 30% discount.

Units today are at least 40% overpriced, some much more, and you're lucky to get a 5% discount. AND... the build quality has actually declined.

Going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out in a few years when the dust settles.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Buy entry level and cheap and that’s what you get.

Also, the buyer selects the dealer they purchase from. If they chose a crappy dealer it’s their own fault and no one else is to blame on that aspect.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertirvine1 View Post
Don't buy anything Thor. The quality sucks shitty workmanship and they skimp on the size screws and supports. It leaves the factory knowing it's a bad product and their dealers are just as bad. Since trip one things just jump off my 31f Quantum. A list too big to print. Spent countless phones never got back to me until I gave up. Now I have a large rolling pile of crap. That now has cracks in the rear cap. I spend extra time not enjoying 100k shit box but constantly repairing it. All of this with just 5k on the speedo.
Sell it and invest the money in a travel rewards program that you can utilize with your hotel stays because the quality is the same with the competition. But who knows? You may luck out and get a well built one from another manufacturer. Are you feeling lucky?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:49 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
So,
You didn't like the floor plan on the Newell you looked at?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Buy entry level and cheap and that’s what you get.

Also, the buyer selects the dealer they purchase from. If they chose a crappy dealer it’s their own fault and no one else is to blame on that aspect.
I get tired of hearing entry level BS. My popup was entry level and cost $5k 40 years ago. If you make big money it may be entry level but my POS class C cost more than my house so keep your entry level BS to yourself.

Most know my POS story and after 5 seasons and numerous repairs it is still a POS, but it's my luxury item and is my life's savings.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I get tired of hearing entry level BS. My popup was entry level and cost $5k 40 years ago. If you make big money it may be entry level but my POS class C cost more than my house so keep your entry level BS to yourself.

Most know my POS story and after 5 seasons and numerous repairs it is still a POS, but it's my luxury item and is my life's savings.
Read it for yourself in Thor’s annual report to the SEC. They identify themselves as entry level.

Sorry but the truth hurts at times. Facts are Facts whether people like them or not.

Question, who builds a cheaper motorhome than Thor?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:16 AM   #10

THOR #13932
And If thy rv, offend thee, sell it out for it is profitable to lose an rv and spare thyself.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:20 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
The majority of sales MUST be to first time buyers who are completely unaware of the RV market legacy of markdowns. They are completely unaware that the SAME unit 2 years ago SOLD for about half of today's discounted price! That's historically unheard of, but it's happening! I'm not bashing the first time buyers... they probably just aren't aware.

With continuously diminishing quality over the last couple years, I'm puzzled why people are STILL overpaying for LOWER quality... for the same components and layout. I'm talking about buyers who've owned an RV before.

I get it that some people don't care what the price is... they're going to buy that new RV regardless. I call that the "P.T. Barnum effect". That's also why prices stay inflated and quality doesn't improve.

As George Carlin so eloquently stated: "Americans would buy sauteed racoons a**holes on a stick and eat them". Hey... there's a thought! Thor could give away a free sautee pan with every new RV!
Old 11-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #12

THOR #13932
This is off topic but on topic.
On our last trip I saw a
THOR limousine.
It was a bit fancier than a small glas bodied city bus. High roof, flushmount black windows down both sides. No side doors, a molded rear door.
Edit: found this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bikKd4qdiHg5sh

Old 11-10-2021, 01:42 AM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #25067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The majority of sales MUST be to first time buyers who are completely unaware of the RV market legacy of markdowns. They are completely unaware that the SAME unit 2 years ago SOLD for about half of today's discounted price! That's historically unheard of, but it's happening! I'm not bashing the first time buyers... they probably just aren't aware.

With continuously diminishing quality over the last couple years, I'm puzzled why people are STILL overpaying for LOWER quality... for the same components and layout. I'm talking about buyers who've owned an RV before.

I get it that some people don't care what the price is... they're going to buy that new RV regardless. I call that the "P.T. Barnum effect". That's also why prices stay inflated and quality doesn't improve.

As George Carlin so eloquently stated: "Americans would buy sauteed racoons a**holes on a stick and eat them". Hey... there's a thought! Thor could give away a free sautee pan with every new RV!
Speaking from recent personal experience this was my situation.

We only got into camping a year ago, bought a used travel trailer, fell in love with that vacationing style and knew we needed to upgrade. Unfortunately I was more focused on floorpan that fit my family's needs than researching quality or other options. I know more now but it was definitely a costly lesson. Definitely gonna make the best of it though and do what I need to do for my family to enjoy our MH.

Was happy to get almost exactly what I paid for the original travel trailer and a decent discount but no doubt they still made out good with the markup.

https://tjbryant.com

2022 Windsport 29m
tjbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:46 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I agree with your assessment, just not so stridently. OTOH, Thor does provide a low cost MH. My 2021 Thor Axis is a design masterpiece but an assembly POS. But after spending a hundred hours or more researching problems and fixing them, I have a pretty nice MH.

David
Agree

Our 2020 Thor Vegas is a design masterpiece
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:52 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

Auto loans at 28 Billion. Many 1st time buyers . Trucks $80k. Enjoy your rv my friends
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:02 AM   #16

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Same model (Four Winds 26B, but mine is on the Chevy 4500 chassis) but totally different experience. I suspect the quality and issues are hit or miss, as with most things built without much automation.

I've been very happy and have no significant issues.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:09 AM   #17

THOR #13932
I'd sure would have liked to have a Chevy.
$5,000 gets you 600hp.

Ford v10, $8,000 gets you not enough more to notice.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:12 AM   #18

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
After having many different units from fold down to trailer to class c, I bought my first NEW motorhome at retirement. I'm thankful it was Thor Miramar. I've found it no different than buying a new home... There's always minor issues but I love my Miramar.

The only thing I don't like is the depreciation...
Old 11-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
We bought our 2014 Challenger used in June. Glad we went used. The people kept very good receipts. They had AC unit replaced, wall slide motors replaced, radio replaced. Hopefully all the issues are wrapped up by now. Haven't had any issues yet.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Hearing the "Entry Level" excuse all the time does get old...... and people tend to enjoy using that as an easy excuse.

Many consider Kia and Hyundai as "entry" level vehicles yet they offer 5-Year / 60,000 warranties and 10-year / 100,000 mile power train warranties. I know some people who've owned them and they aren't at the dealer constantly and they don't have parts falling off all over the place.

You can buy a $3 burger at Wendy's or buy a $15 burger at a high-end restaurant. There are standards where you don't have to worry about the $3 burger being ground up horse-meat.

I sell a technology solution that competes with Honeywell. One of the components of our solutions is 40% less than the equivalent Honeywell offering. Ours is manufactured in Germany. Their's is manufactured in China. The quality of ours is equal to and actually better than Honeywell.

It comes down to a company holding themselves to a higher-standard. Cheaper does not always.... or even have to.... equate to inferior.... or even junk for that matter. A well run company can find ways to optimize their operation to reduce expenses and offer a competitively priced product that is still well-constructed.

If a company won't hold themself to a higher standard, then it's up to the consumer to force their hand.

I also know plenty of people who shelled out significantly more than I did for my latest coach and bought what were supposed to be "better" brands (Entegra, Tiffin, Newmar, Dynamax) but they still had slide problems, water leaks, coaches that needed to be repainted, multiple trips to the dealer, etc. Paying more money also does not guarantee you won't get something with suspect quality and workmanship. It just means you spent more money and you may or may not have gotten a better product at the end of the day.