Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #25122
I thought I was the only one but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
I have not noticed any cracks in the cap yet, but the front glass has cracks on the inside glass from cap flex. I did not see the crack until I opened the shade. You can not see cracks on the outside glass.
I have around 10,000 miles on my 2020 XG-32. It has been in the shop for repairs for 8 out of the 14 months I have owned it. The recall on the 10 speed transmission was just finished and I took it straight to the RV repair for the slide out that has not worked more than 3 times between repairs. This will be the 5th time for the slide out repair.
Today after checking underbody antenna cabling I noticed a bolt missing from the propane tank mount on my 2021 XG32. Tanks was rocking. Turns out the other 3 were loose to the point they were jingling! Every week it seems like Im finding something... bad HDMI cable routing to the main TV, heat doesn't come up through the floor vents but the floor rises up, leaking ice-maker water line, overtightened screws and random ones falling out all over the place. And I just went out to check this particular issue and I too have the problem. I've only put 600 miles on the dam thing. Sadly I told Thor if it was assembled in China it would be a great product. No more work ethic in USA. Elkhart folks need to spend time at a Ford factory.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #202

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
LarryD
I agree, I will complain and moan, but, you’re right. 1 night, just 1 with my sick wife camping at her favorite spot makes it worthwhile.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #203

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Same as pillbox..all will be great soon. We have done 20 campsites all over the country with all things working..also if something fails in our "driving down horrible highways home" we will deal with it. Seeing America this way with loved ones, playing games, romantic dinners, wine is WORTH IT
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #204

Model: RB34
THOR #21936
Smile

Minor update from us. I had plans pop up and needed to use the RV, so I cancelled my appointment to get mine repaired. We've been using the RV since I posted and will be back on the road again this weekend.

I fixed the slider. It was out of alignment. The manual for the LCI slider from the Thor owner's site had troubleshooting steps and I was able to fix it by following the guide very easily.

I read a lot of posts on here more than I write. I see a lot of bashing the full wall slide. I was the reason mine was broken; I tried to put the wall out when it was on an incline so it got misaligned front to back. I won't make that mistake again! It seems durable enough, but time will tell. With how much usage we have, I think we're a good use case. That slide has been in and out at least 50 times now.

Anyways, back on topic of the cabover. I've decided to fix it myself. There's zero reason for me to spend 4 hours round trip to drop off my RV, then repeat again to pick it up 2 weeks later to maybe fix it, when I can just spend an afternoon and do it right myself. Sure I'll be out of pocket some - but that'll still be less than gas and I have confidence in my handiwork.

Related to quality, we have 6k miles on our Magnitude and have slept around 3 months in the RV this year between our move and all the trips we've been on. I have fixed TONS of stuff. It's a house moving down the road and I have two young kids. My mods list is like Judge's - I even installed a dishwasher, new front suspension, laundry.

With the kinks worked out, it's one hell of a great rig. I haven't found trash or anything too weird or any horrible quality issues, so maybe the guys in the shop had a good pep-talk the day they built mine. I'd buy it again, even with having to deal with the front cap. It's something I can fix on a really nice rig. Sure I shouldn't have to do that, but every RV will have issues. It's just part of (mobile) home ownership.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #205

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Minor update from us. I had plans pop up and needed to use the RV, so I cancelled my appointment to get mine repaired. We've been using the RV since I posted and will be back on the road again this weekend.

I fixed the slider. It was out of alignment. The manual for the LCI slider from the Thor owner's site had troubleshooting steps and I was able to fix it by following the guide very easily.

I read a lot of posts on here more than I write. I see a lot of bashing the full wall slide. I was the reason mine was broken; I tried to put the wall out when it was on an incline so it got misaligned front to back. I won't make that mistake again! It seems durable enough, but time will tell. With how much usage we have, I think we're a good use case. That slide has been in and out at least 50 times now.

Anyways, back on topic of the cabover. I've decided to fix it myself. There's zero reason for me to spend 4 hours round trip to drop off my RV, then repeat again to pick it up 2 weeks later to maybe fix it, when I can just spend an afternoon and do it right myself. Sure I'll be out of pocket some - but that'll still be less than gas and I have confidence in my handiwork.

Related to quality, we have 6k miles on our Magnitude and have slept around 3 months in the RV this year between our move and all the trips we've been on. I have fixed TONS of stuff. It's a house moving down the road and I have two young kids. My mods list is like Judge's - I even installed a dishwasher, new front suspension, laundry.

With the kinks worked out, it's one hell of a great rig. I haven't found trash or anything too weird or any horrible quality issues, so maybe the guys in the shop had a good pep-talk the day they built mine. I'd buy it again, even with having to deal with the front cap. It's something I can fix on a really nice rig. Sure I shouldn't have to do that, but every RV will have issues. It's just part of (mobile) home ownership.

The slide motors getting out of Sync is a common problem when someone does not hold the Extend / Retract button for 3 - 5 seconds after the motors have stopped…. and the fix to resync the motors is easy.

Some will have “luck” with the durability of a large and heavy slide. However, the LCI mechanism using a single 1/8” screw to hold the motor in place under high-torque conditions is a fatal design flaw. The odds are more likely that it will fail than not. The V-rollers are also a weakness in the design.

If you haven’t read this, it might be worth reading…

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...v34-28659.html

If you intend to fix the front cap yourself, you might void your structural warranty going forward if it is still in effect so just be aware of that possibility.

And if you do fix it yourself, make sure to remove all of the outer trim in additional to the headline inside the cab when adding better screws, adhesive sealant, etc.

After 10,000 miles since the Thor Factory Service Center fixrd my front cap, it appears to be holding up well.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #206

THOR #21936
Thumbs up All fixed?

Just a quick update from us. We went for a trip with the cabover separated anyways, so we're up to almost 8k miles now. I decided to fix it today before giving the RV a bath.

Kevin did a great DIY fix writeup here https://www.thorforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32139 - using that as reference:
  • I looked under the bed from the cab looked good enough, I just added more / bigger self tapping screws
  • The roof looked good, no pulling out screws on the trim up there
  • The passenger side looked good too

But, on the passenger side, literally every single self-tapping screw I had from waist-height up was sheared off.

My steps:
  1. Carefully cut the sealant on the trim top to bottom, cutting through it on the top - and using caution on the house side when cutting to go parallel to the ground so you don't cut through the roof membrane.
  2. Peel the rubber cover trim back. It's painted - but your paint will be fine if you're gentle. It is C shaped and grips around the metal strip the fasteners are in.
  3. Add screws, lots of them. I used hex head galvanized self-tapping screws that were a size thicker than what was on there. The factory screws are 1" long #8 screws, I used 1" long #10 screws. For every broken screw, I put 2, doubling the screws.
  4. Clean the existing sealant using alcohol wipes and clip the rubber trim back in.
  5. Seal it back up.
That took less than 2 hours, so much better than having a shop do it. If it fails again, I'll figure out what else needs braced over the cabover above the cab, but I think there's enough in there to be a permanent fix.

My RV also had no insulation in the cabover like Kevin experienced. I did (a long time ago) seal the area behind the cab at the bottom... I did that in our first week of ownership because exhaust from the generator was getting sucked into the cab while we were running it while driving. At the very least mine is airtight, so it's better than nothing... I may add more later, but LP is cheap, my kids are young, and I'd rather go have fun than do extra fixes.

I'll follow up sometime early next year if my exterior-only fix solved the issue, we have 2 trips planned between now and new years that should be another 3k miles or so of driving.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #207

THOR #21936
It's fixed

Quote:
I'll follow up sometime early next year if my exterior-only fix solved the issue, we have 2 trips planned between now and new years that should be another 3k miles or so of driving.

12k mile follow-up. This fix is holding up fine. I'll update again if it fails, but I think my quick and dirty fix worked.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:16 AM   #208

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
12k mile follow-up. This fix is holding up fine. I'll update again if it fails, but I think my quick and dirty fix worked.
Good deal. Hopefully it never causes you any more issues
Old 01-11-2022, 01:27 AM   #209

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Sounds great.
Mine fix is also holding, glad I did it myself.
In fact I just had the alignment done, wow love it more.
Time to tackle the house battery ordeal……..
More to come.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:40 AM   #210

Model: SV34
State: Oregon
THOR #20521
Thumbs up Thor Came Through!

Hello all you Magnitude and Omni owners with the Over the Cab cap separation issues. So, I finally got my Mag into Camping World to find and diagnose the issue we all have been experiencing and Thor agreed to take care of the issue and fix the separation! Looks like new again! I am taking the wise advise from Judge, and only MANUALLY LEVELING my ride. Thanks again for you all out there sharing experiences and thoughts. I most definitely learn alot from this forum. Stay safe out there!

Sean
Old 09-02-2022, 12:27 AM   #211

THOR #12751
Just got to the first stop of our 7-week RV trip at Sun Country RV Resort in Granby, CO. The roads were really rough in places.

As I was sitting and having a drink I looked up at the front cap and something didn’t look right. Sure enough two screws behind the passenger door are pushing through the molding…. enough to break the seal.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’m great mechanically but not so much with body work.

Thor’s fix lasted a little more than one season and about 12,000 miles.

I’ll probably fix it and keep it for two more years.

But I won’t rule out a Class Action Law Suit given so many people have had this issue. If I don’t go the law suit route, maybe I’ll just park it on Bob Martin’s front lawn with a big sign telling people not to buy inferior Thor products.

I’ll see what ideas I come up with after a few more [emoji484]
Old 09-02-2022, 12:51 AM   #212

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just got to the first stop of our 7-week RV trip at Sun Country RV Resort in Granby, CO. The roads were really rough in places.

As I was sitting and having a drink I looked up at the front cap and something didn’t look right. Sure enough two screws behind the passenger door are pushing through the molding…. enough to break the seal.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I’m great mechanically but not so much with body work.

But I won’t rule out a Class Action Law Suit given so many people have had this issue. If I don’t go the law suit route, maybe I’ll just park it on Bob Martin’s front lawn with a big sign telling people not to buy inferior Thor products.

Maybe those two screws were never in correctly. I did my sides with larger screws almost two years ago-still look ok-and we've been on some horrendous roads in the last year travelling full time). I added more screws than they did-where there was a stripped head, I put two screws on either side...). Hopefully those two are the only ones to not cooperate. I did a partial kwplot34 fix (secured the roof to the top frame, through the frame with bolts and nylocks)-I'll finish the sides when we get to a spot for at least a month this winter. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:54 AM   #213
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Didn’t someone say something about there not being a front cap issue and scaring new owners.

Need to find a way to notify everyone considering those Super C models.

Hopefully you will be able to continue the trip.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:02 AM   #214

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Maybe those two screws were never in correctly. I did my sides with larger screws almost two years ago-still look ok-and we've been on some horrendous roads in the last year travelling full time). I added more screws than they did-where there was a stripped head, I put two screws on either side...). Hopefully those two are the only ones to not cooperate. I did a partial kwplot34 fix (secured the roof to the top frame, through the frame with bolts and nylocks)-I'll finish the sides when we get to a spot for at least a month this winter. Hope it all works out for you.

The tech at the Thor Factory Service Center told me he replaced all the screws down the sides with larger screws and more than originally used during manufacturing.

However, they never did the roof. I was up there and they never removed the EternaBond Tape I installed over that seam when the coach was new. When I was up there this spring I could see screw heads pushing up through the EternaBond Tape.

When we were coming through I-70 out of Denver and into the mountains I could see the front cap bouncing a lot. There are multiple issues in play with the front cap.

First it is too big and should never stick out past the windshield. Next their attachment procedure is horrible.

It is a recipe for failure.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:14 AM   #215
Site Team

THOR #1469
What is the time limit on your structural warranty. Mine is five years.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:58 AM   #216

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:

Dont let it ruin your trip Judge. Plenty of time to get it when you get back. Just a friendly reminder to focus on what you bought the rig for, seeing the country, spending time with the wife and friends you meet along the way and just enjoying the short stint we all have on this crazy rock hurtling thru space. That top wont mean squat in the end.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #217

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What is the time limit on your structural warranty. Mine is five years.
It's 3 years and Thor claims it is not a structural issue and will not fix the front cap under the structural warranty. Have an email from Thor saying that.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #218
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
It's 3 years and Thor claims it is not a structural issue and will not fix the front cap under the structural warranty. Have an email from Thor saying that.
That sucks.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #219

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
How do they justify that as not being structural!
Old 09-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #220

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Hate to hear that Judge and hope it didn't ruin the cocktail hour...

I cringe and slow down as slow as I dare anytime I get on a rough road. My wife even winces now when we hit a dip as she knows how much it unnerves me.

Around here (AZ, UT, NM, CO) its the secondary reservation roads that are in horrendous condition with severe dips, frost heaves, torn-up, broken asphalt etc.

Some of the North/South roads that are hard to avoid are the 491 between Shiprock and Gallop, NM and the 89 from Page to Flagstaff, AZ. There are some dips on these roads that if hit at speed would probably launch your refrigerator onto the floor and certainly raise havoc with slides...
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote