Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I agree. Had a trip planned to Wyoming in September, but with the screws coming out that hold the front cap on that trip is canceled. First time we have ever had to cancel a trip with any of our motor homes, always thought someday we might have to but not for the front of the coach falling off.

You could probably still do your trip.... unless Thor can get you in then. I did 3 or 4 trips with the front cap the way it was in the earlier pictures I posted. I don't think you are the point yet where the majoirty of screws have failed. I wouldn't want to drive it that way on a long trip or for a year or more but I think you can could do another trip or two that way.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #22

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You could probably still do your trip.... unless Thor can get you in then. I did 3 or 4 trips with the front cap the way it was in the earlier pictures I posted. I don't think you are the point yet where the majoirty of screws have failed. I wouldn't want to drive it that way on a long trip or for a year or more but I think you can could do another trip or two that way.
You're right, the front cap would most likely be ok for another trip, but not knowing when Thor is going to get me in we just canceled the trip for now.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Well, poop

Came back from a short trip, and after reading the new posts on this topic I had a close look at my cap. I’m having the same issue.

I’m still a week away from my 12 month expiry, so I’m contacting Thor today to get this registered.

Judge, do I remember right that you had this fixed at Wakarusa? Not sure I trust my local folks with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	431386A2-26B4-42A4-B1AF-87CB3DD55B8B.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	32726   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C06A5F8-13CD-452E-BE6D-13977ED6C3AB.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	32727  

Name:	D1B771F4-BA71-425E-B524-2791D2780481.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	32728   Click image for larger version

Name:	44920846-B5A6-48F8-B918-4C9033EE7029.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	32729  

Old 08-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #24

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Came back from a short trip, and after reading the new posts on this topic I had a close look at my cap. I’m having the same issue.

I’m still a week away from my 12 month expiry, so I’m contacting Thor today to get this registered.

Judge, do I remember right that you had this fixed at Wakarusa? Not sure I trust my local folks with this.
Yes..... I had it fixed in Wakarusa. I would not trust anyone else to do it except for the Thor Service Center or a place that specializes in major RV restoration.

I would also call the dealer just to make sure there are mutliple sources documenting your warranty claim before you warranty expires.

This is a real shame.... just about every Omni / Magnitude owner who checks their front cap after reading these posts are finding this issue.

This is truly a design and manufaturing defect.... and could be a safety issue. I am wondering if filing reports with the NHTSA is the right thing to do at this point given the number of these reports... and pictures documenting the issue.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #25

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Judge, how do you send an email directly to THOR, with picture attachments? On the THOR owner website, there is no email address to send communication. I only saw that CUSTOMER CARE that ask for your NAME, Email, Phone Number and VIN Last 8 Number. Then a box to type your message. But no actual email address to send (so you can have a record).
Just asking in case I need to email them about my upcoming appointment with my RV dealer regarding my slide and some other minor issues (ACE).

I agree. I think you guys should start reporting this issue with NHTSA. What if that entire thing do separate while you are on the road? Maybe NHTSA can make THOR do a recall, given the number of affected units reported.

Quote:
I would also call the dealer just to make sure there are mutliple sources documenting your warranty claim before you warranty expires.

This is truly a design and manufaturing defect.... and could be a safety issue. I am wondering if filing reports with the NHTSA is the right thing to do at this point given the number of these reports... and pictures documenting the issue.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #26

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
I have not noticed any cracks in the cap yet, but the front glass has cracks on the inside glass from cap flex. I did not see the crack until I opened the shade. You can not see cracks on the outside glass.
I have around 10,000 miles on my 2020 XG-32. It has been in the shop for repairs for 8 out of the 14 months I have owned it. The recall on the 10 speed transmission was just finished and I took it straight to the RV repair for the slide out that has not worked more than 3 times between repairs. This will be the 5th time for the slide out repair.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Dang, I missed a lot.
Ok, got some work in today. I re attached the front cap down I hope.
Lots and lots of calk, geo 2300, 2 tubes squeezed into the space between the cab and cap. I used shims to lift up the cap as far as I dared. Then screwed down the cap.
The screws that go into the wood does I don’t know what, but the screws closer to the window DID get into the fiberglass.
Attached are my pics, feel free to ask any questions about the pics, just ask.
Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09DB48F2-874F-41AD-B62D-E0E46AE8BFF6.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	32730   Click image for larger version

Name:	272EEF61-07D9-4109-9F36-3C62995D809D.jpeg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	32731  

Name:	761C24E7-3035-4A71-B61E-3404A03621C2.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	32732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB7F5845-6231-4994-B0E6-D2AE407B4227.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	32733  

Name:	FD8AFBDB-E14F-48FF-8B45-4578A6CEEF00.jpeg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	32734   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E2D1BE6-B01F-4D55-B328-85E7DA12C43C.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	32735  

Name:	9EE4BF4D-BE3E-4555-BBE4-8653A0C6515F.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	32736   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4776092-63B5-47B3-BEDB-ED08D55D745C.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	32737  

Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Judge, how do you send an email directly to THOR, with picture attachments? On the THOR owner website, there is no email address to send communication. I only saw that CUSTOMER CARE that ask for your NAME, Email, Phone Number and VIN Last 8 Number. Then a box to type your message. But no actual email address to send (so you can have a record).
Just asking in case I need to email them about my upcoming appointment with my RV dealer regarding my slide and some other minor issues (ACE).
This is the e-mail for Thor Warranry Support.... wsupport@tmcrv.com
Old 08-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #29

THOR #4243
Got a call from the Thor service center today and have an appointment for November 8th for them to look at the front cap. Talked to a guy named BJ Ballard and he said they are starting to see more and more of these.
Hopefully the will fix mine under warranty, they should, but you never know with Thor anymore.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #30

THOR #4243
Quote:
Yes..... I had it fixed in Wakarusa. I would not trust anyone else to do it except for the Thor Service Center or a place that specializes in major RV restoration.

This is a real shame.... just about every Omni / Magnitude owner who checks their front cap after reading these posts are finding this issue.

How do you file a report with NHTSA? I believe it's time to start the ball rolling on this issue.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #31

THOR #4243
Looking good PillBox. You might have a career in fixing these front cap structural issues, certainly seems to be a lot of job security out there.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260

Once is good enough for my old body.
I see a lot of wrong ways to do things, but, Thor took takes the cake on this one.
Just the screws used, most are way too long. I used rubber washer ones, then plan to put some e6000 around them for more security, AFTER I test for water leaks, 24 hour cure time then we will see.
Time for the wife’s job, Crash or in this case water dummy
Still have to pull the side molding up to the top. Will be checking for loose/broken screws there also. Then my most favorite place, the dreaded ROOF. Any volunteers?
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #33

THOR #2228
Nothing new about this problem. Mine is a 2015 purchased new. Thor uses cheap hardware that rusts out and breaks. I contacted my favorite RV guys just last week to start work on the drives side. Use stainless steel larger screws and add more of them. Most of mine were short and regular small screws.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:01 AM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
How do you file a report with NHTSA? I believe it's time to start the ball rolling on this issue.

Here is the link....

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

The one marked "vehicle" includes RV's.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:06 AM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I would email thor pictures and keep emailing to escalate
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #36

THOR #12751
I wish Pillbox would have taken his front cap off before fixing it and took some photographs.... then we could show Thor what it will look like when all of the scews eventually break of fall out....
Old 08-12-2021, 12:16 AM   #37

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #19910
Quote:

Contacted my local dealer, and have an appointment, but not 'til Aug 31. Warranty expires Aug 17. So I contacted Thor Customer Care and explained the situation. They were very helpful, and documented the issue and that I had contacted them prior to expiration. He stated they would cover it under warranty, once the dealer contacts them.

As I have a couple of trips coming up before the end of the month, I talked with him in some detail about whether the unit is driveable. He advised me that I should be fine. We discussed how the cap is supported Note that this is the Thor explanation not mine, so take it for what you think it's worth. He explained that the cap is mainly supported by the cab roof (hmm, I question that myself), and that additionally, Thor installs a "C channel" to attache the cap to the main RV shell. Thus, he reasoned, failing a major problem with the channel or the cap integrity, complete failure is highly unlikely.

I'm going to go ahead and go, hoping that he's right, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the silly thing.

Submitted the issue to NHTSA.
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #38

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Contacted my local dealer, and have an appointment, but not 'til Aug 31. Warranty expires Aug 17. So I contacted Thor Customer Care and explained the situation. They were very helpful, and documented the issue and that I had contacted them prior to expiration. He stated they would cover it under warranty, once the dealer contacts them.

As I have a couple of trips coming up before the end of the month, I talked with him in some detail about whether the unit is driveable. He advised me that I should be fine. We discussed how the cap is supported Note that this is the Thor explanation not mine, so take it for what you think it's worth. He explained that the cap is mainly supported by the cab roof (hmm, I question that myself), and that additionally, Thor installs a "C channel" to attache the cap to the main RV shell. Thus, he reasoned, failing a major problem with the channel or the cap integrity, complete failure is highly unlikely.

I'm going to go ahead and go, hoping that he's right, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the silly thing.
I think you are ok short-term. I took mine on a couple trips as well before I got it fixed.

One thing he didn't tell you is if you are getting separation at the molding or the cab roof and you are driving during a rain storm, water intrusion is inevitable.

I have also seen a video of someone standing outside the coach (a 2017 Super C) and lifting the front cap right off the cab roof after a bunch of the screws fell out or had just broken off. Its hard to believe that if it is not eventually addressed, there won't be a major failure of the cap.

And that C-channel that is holding the front cap and main box together is using the same under-sized crappy screws.

My issue developed on the driver side right where the front cap and house box are joined together. When leveling my coach a large gap would develop between the side of the front cap and the cab roof. There was a good 3/8" of movement.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:46 AM   #39
MCG

THOR #17782
Front cap issue

Same issue: Not sure why pics are sideways. But came apart behind passenger door.......

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	32744

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	32745
Old 08-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #40

THOR #4243
Yip, Yours is coming apart also, better call or better yet email Thor warranty and get on the schedule to get it fixed. I can't get in till November 8th.