Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I received a confirmation email for November 8th to hopefully get my front cap issue fixed. I hope they say that it will be covered under the structural warranty, but not holding my breath on it.
Best wishes and highest hopes that all turns out way better than expected and faster than we thought!! God bless all your endeavors, Kwplot

Old 08-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #122
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Shi Ammi, thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #123

Model: XG32 Magnitude
THOR #21373
Old 08-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #124

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
I have finished my cab/chassis……….yeppieeeeeeee
On to the next….
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B1391A6-5615-46DC-80C2-2BDF68D8D733.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	33128  
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #125

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
This is great info when we upgrade. We have been to 20 rv parks this year and starting December will travel 4 more months around the country..we look at mh and ask owners what they think..currently at Fairmount rv resort with a natural hot springs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210827_162529.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	33130  
Old 08-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #126

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
In for repair

I dropped Maggie off at the repair shop this morning to have the cap evaluated.

I contacted Thor Customer Care on the 11th to make them aware of the issue as my 12 month tip to tail coverage would expire before it could be seen by the service folks. They said that they'd be waiting for the service center call and that the repair would be covered.

Interestingly, when I dropped it off today they told me that the visit had been listed as a "recall". I told them that was news to me, but explained the number of folks having issue on this forum.

It'll be interesting to see what they find ( as if I didn't know, based on the posts here), and the whole recall thing makes me wonder. I checked the usual recall sites, and don't see anything about the cap issue.
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:44 PM   #127

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thor Super C front cap issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post

I contacted Thor Customer Care on the 11th to make them aware of the issue as my 12 month tip to tail coverage would expire before it could be seen by the service folks. They said that they'd be waiting for the service center call and that the repair would be covered.

Interestingly, when I dropped it off today they told me that the visit had been listed as a "recall". I told them that was news to me, but explained the number of folks having issue on this forum.

It'll be interesting to see what they find ( as if I didn't know, based on the posts here), and the whole recall thing makes me wonder. I checked the usual recall sites, and don't see anything about the cap issue.

There is / was a Recall on sealing the window in the over-head bunk / front cap.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #128

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:

That is interesting on the recall. I was bout 3 months out of the 1 year warranty, but there is a 3 year structural warranty.
I received a confirmation email last week 3 different letters attached.
The first one is a welcome letter and to verify my information and sign and return it, but at the top it says WARRANTY.
Second page is directions, and the third is a list of complaints to be looked at or fixed, and it has 3 boxes, one is warranty, another is goodwill and the last is customer pay, the customer pay box is checked. Well this customer is not paying one dime for work to have the front cap structural issue fixed.
I guess I will find out when I get there in November.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #129

THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There is / was a Recall on dealing the window in the over-head bunk / front cap.
Now that is interesting. When I was up on the roof checking the cap seam, I noticed that there was what looked like silicone bubbling out from under the black seal. Do you have a link to the actual recall notice? I didn't see one for the window.

Thanks!
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 08-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #130

THOR #12751
Quote:
Now that is interesting. When I was up on the roof checking the cap seam, I noticed that there was what looked like silicone bubbling out from under the black seal. Do you have a link to the actual recall notice? I didn't see one for the window.

Thanks!

I actually got a Recall Letter from Thor and it was only a few months after I purchased mine. It may have since been corrected in production.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 PM   #131

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
one more for the list

12k miles. noticed this today after NY to Florida trip, same on both sides. Heading back tomorrow, Will call Thor on Monday. Has anyone spoken to a lawyer about a class action?

Name:	20210828_182515.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	33157
Old 08-29-2021, 02:22 AM   #132

THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
12k miles. noticed this today after NY to Florida trip, same on both sides. Heading back tomorrow, Will call Thor on Monday. Has anyone spoken to a lawyer about a class action?

Attachment 33157
Man, so sorry - that sucks. This isn't a club any of us wants to be in. You may want to climb up on the roof and look at the cap seam, especially at the corners. Mine had separated about a quarter inch on the passenger side, and the dicor was pulled away from the roof membrane on both sides. It was easy to see because of the paint line they run along the cap and the membrane.

If you haven't please file a report with the NHTSA folks. The more they get, the more likely they are to look further into the matter.

It may be prudent to see how Thor responds in fixing the problem with a few more of us. If they try to deny it's an issue, or claim that somehow it's not structural, then it's time to band together and lawyer up. In my case so far, the have been nothing but helpful. Here's hoping that continues.
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 08-29-2021, 05:30 AM   #133

THOR #4243
Quote:
Man, so sorry - that sucks. This isn't a club any of us wants to be in. You may want to climb up on the roof and look at the cap seam, especially at the corners. Mine had separated about a quarter inch on the passenger side, and the dicor was pulled away from the roof membrane on both sides. It was easy to see because of the paint line they run along the cap and the membrane.

If you haven't please file a report with the NHTSA folks. The more they get, the more likely they are to look further into the matter.

It may be prudent to see how Thor responds in fixing the problem with a few more of us. If they try to deny it's an issue, or claim that somehow it's not structural, then it's time to band together and lawyer up. In my case so far, the have been nothing but helpful. Here's hoping that continues.
The female I was emailing back and forth with at Thor warranty told me that this not a structural issue and not covered under the structural warranty, that's when I requested to speak with someone else and she set me up with their service center to bring it in.
Which all of this is crazy, when I had the rattling dinette windows Thor was very helpful and as soon as they had the fix had me bring it into the dealership and had the windows replaced. With this front cap it's like they are in denial and simply don't care.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #134

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post

Attachment 33157
Which model do you have? There is no sig line and the info to the left under your user name, nor your profile, has it. I'm curious if the longer Omni/Magnitudes with the full wall slides are having a higher incidence of this issue.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:12 PM   #135

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Which model do you have? There is no sig line and the info to the left under your user name, nor your profile, has it. I'm curious if the longer Omni/Magnitudes with the full wall slides are having a higher incidence of this issue.
He posted in another thread, SV34.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #136

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
He posted in another thread, SV34.
Thanks I've read all the posts but don't remember every comment.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #137

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks I've read all the posts but don't remember every comment.
Anytime.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:24 AM   #138

THOR #12751
Thor Super C front cap issues

While I think there are sevaral factors for the front cap issue, one theory I’ve had for awhile about one of the things that helps to expose the front cap mounting issue on the Omni / Magnitude is the placement of the front leveling jacks. I saw something today that may reaffirm my theory.

At the campground we’re staying at right now, I saw a Dynamax Isata5. While I really like the Dynamax Force HD and the new Europa, I’ve never liked the look of the Isata. They look too boxy for my taste.

Anyway….. the Isata5 has a very large front cap / cab-over like the Omni / Magnitude but I’ve never heard of any front cap issues like we are experiencing. I’m sure Dynamax does a better job mounting the front cap but there may also be another factor.

The Isata5 is on a simailr chassis…. The Ram 5500 with a 19,500 GVWR. Dynmax mounts their leveling jacks right behind the cab and just about where the front cap is mounted to the house box.

I’ve felt Thor mounts the jacks too far forward at just behind the very center of the cab doors.

My theory is that as the front jacks being too far forward lift the chassis in such a way that it is causing the cab to act as a fulcrum with respect to the house box at the mounting point of the front cap. The chassis flexes enough that the weakest point (the front cap - house box mounting seam) is under more stress that it should be. Eventually with enough leveling or severe movements caused by AutoLevel that the screws start to loosen and push against the molding or simply break off.

I might be way off base but it has been something that I started looking at over a year ago when my front cap started to separate. After seeing where the Isata5 front jacks are mounted up close today, I think it could be a contributing factor.

The rear jacks are placed in about the same position on both coaches.

Here are pictures for a comparison. I’d say Dynamax places their front jacks almost 24” further back than Thor did and right where the house mounts to the cab and front cap.

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	33384

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	33385
Old 09-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #139

THOR #4243
That is a very good possibility Judge. I have not looked under ours to see if the jacks can be moved back, have you looked to see if they can?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #140

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
That is a very good possibility Judge. I have not looked under ours to see if the jacks can be moved back, have you looked to see if they can?

I did and it looked like it woukd require welding new mounting brackets to the frame. Admittedly I didn’t spend too much time investigating possibilities since it wasn’t something I would be able to do without some assistance in terms of welding, etc.