Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I did and it looked like it woukd require welding new mounting brackets to the frame. Admittedly I didn’t spend too much time investigating possibilities since it wasn’t something I would be able to do without some assistance in terms of welding, etc.
When I get a chance I will crawl under mine and take a look. If some new mounting brackets need welded on, that won't be an issue, I have a mig and a stick welder.
If it's decided to move them I won't do anything until the Thor service center looks at and hopefully fix's my front cap.

BTW: how is your ft cap doing so far on this long road trip?

Old 09-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #142

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Kevin,
Good job man, now the Judge will start to worry, then he will start looking, THEN he might find me freeloading……
Terry
Ps i will get a pic of my 2017 for you all also.
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #143

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Kevin,
Good job man, now the Judge will start to worry, then he will start looking, THEN he might find me freeloading……
Terry
Ps i will get a pic of my 2017 for you all also.
LOL. Sorry Judge, think positive happy thoughts and everything will be ok. I'm sure the Thor service center fixed the cap correctly.

Terry, let's see some pics when you get a chance.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #144

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
BTW: how is your ft cap doing so far on this long road trip?
So far so good….. I’m babying her as much as I can whrn it comes to
Leveling, etc. but we have been on some rough roads. Fingers crossed!

And if you figure out a way to install new mounting brackets, can I drive out and have you weld them on??? [emoji1]
Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 AM   #145

THOR #4243
Quote:
So far so good….. I’m babying her as much as I can whrn it comes to
Leveling, etc. but we have been on some rough roads. Fingers crossed!

And if you figure out a way to install new mounting brackets, can I drive out and have you weld them on??? [emoji1]
No problem. I will take a look underneath and see what is needed. I have been doing a lot of welding these last 2 months, put in a new roll cage and 4 link suspension in my drag car.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:25 AM   #146

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
The saga continues...

I heard from the repair center today. Thor accepted the cap repair as a warranty covered item (yay!). They allowed 12 hours for the repair. Now I'm in the queue to get the ting into the bod shop to actually see what needs to be done.
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:27 AM   #147

THOR #24260
Great news….
Terry
Semper Fi
Old 09-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #148

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
I heard from the repair center today. Thor accepted the cap repair as a warranty covered item (yay!). They allowed 12 hours for the repair. Now I'm in the queue to get the ting into the bod shop to actually see what needs to be done.
That's great news. Hope mine gets covered.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #149

Model: SV34
State: Oregon
THOR #20521
Hey Fellow Thor Mag owners! I’ve got a 2019 SV34 and we are having the same issues with our Caps separation. I mentioned it looking slightly separating a year ago when I was going through the Punch List. Unfortunately at the time Camping World gave me the “seal your own seams” answer. So I did and it’s way worse. I can’t get back in until November. I am very happy to see you guys talking about stuff that I am going through. I really love this rig, and hope to get to a better place. I do see how the front jacks would mess with the structure and I also think my slide is also affected as well!! Frustrating very frustrating.
Thank you all again.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	33460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	33461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	33462Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	33463
Old 09-08-2021, 09:06 PM   #150

THOR #24260
Pics of jacks up here
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ion-28232.html
Terry
Ps. Will get pics when down soon.
Semper Fi
Old 09-09-2021, 01:24 AM   #151

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Just my thoughts on jack positions is it may make it worse but the core issue is abysmal factory installation. It gets to poor no real factory QA, Quality Assurance, and certainly no meaningful Quality Control, QC. Without these 2 critical factors all there puffery in the advertisements, all the fancy interior colors and design are meaningless. Think lipstick on a pig. The front cap separation or covid as scuba called it is just one quality defect we have. Things like flimsy showers, cheap ass water heaters, poorly designed and executed plumbing, exterior trim pieces that fall off, etc. Feel free to fill in any blanks what you've found.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #152

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Just my thoughts on jack positions is it may make it worse but the core issue is abysmal factory installation. It gets to poor no real factory QA, Quality Assurance, and certainly no meaningful Quality Control, QC. Without these 2 critical factors all there puffery in the advertisements, all the fancy interior colors and design are meaningless. Think lipstick on a pig. The front cap separation or covid as scuba called it is just one quality defect we have. Things like flimsy showers, cheap ass water heaters, poorly designed and executed plumbing, exterior trim pieces that fall off, etc. Feel free to fill in any blanks what you've found.
I agree our "motorhomes" are lumped in with travel trailers.
Maybe the industry needs a new category with better controls..

A recreational vehicle, often abbreviated as RV, is a motor vehicle or trailer which includes living quarters designed for accommodation. Types of RVs include motorhomes, campervans, coaches, caravans (also known as travel trailers and camper trailers), fifth-wheel trailers, popup campers, and truck campers.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #153

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magni-Sean View Post
Hey Fellow Thor Mag owners! I’ve got a 2019 SV34 and we are having the same issues with our Caps separation. I mentioned it looking slightly separating a year ago when I was going through the Punch List. Unfortunately at the time Camping World gave me the “seal your own seams” answer. So I did and it’s way worse. I can’t get back in until November. I am very happy to see you guys talking about stuff that I am going through. I really love this rig, and hope to get to a better place. I do see how the front jacks would mess with the structure and I also think my slide is also affected as well!! Frustrating very frustrating.
Thank you all again.
Attachment 33460Attachment 33461Attachment 33462Attachment 33463
Welcome to the club.
It's a shame that Thor will do such terrible construction on the coach and then put it on a great chassis like the F550.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #154

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magni-Sean View Post
Thank you all again.
Attachment 33460Attachment 33461Attachment 33462Attachment 33463

You actually have a 2020 Magnitude (the chassis is a 2019 Ford F-550). I have the 2020 SV34 as well and I could see the molding moving around while leveling so I new this was more than a "sealing" problem. I called Thor directly and sent them pictures and videos of it happening and had the front cap fixed in Wakarusa.

If you have any documentation of CW mis-diagnosing this issue when you brought it up under warranty, I would go back to Thor and demand they cover it under the structual warranty and have it fixed at the Factory Service Center in Wakarusa.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #155

State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
You actually have a 2020 Magnitude (the chassis is a 2019 Ford F-550). I have the 2020 SV34 as well and I could see the molding moving around while leveling so I new this was more than a "sealing" problem. I called Thor directly and sent them pictures and videos of it happening and had the front cap fixed in Wakarusa.

If you have any documentation of CW mis-diagnosing this issue when you brought it up under warranty, I would go back to Thor and demand they cover it under the structual warranty and have it fixed at the Factory Service Center in Wakarusa.
Judge can you point me/us to your manual leveling process (up and down). I have done it automatically a few times and there is a lot of twisting and quick movement going on, it also lifts the coach much higher than when doing it manually.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #156

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Judge can you point me/us to your manual leveling process (up and down). I have done it automatically a few times and there is a lot of twisting and quick movement going on, it also lifts the coach much higher than when doing it manually.
So I have three small levels. I place them in the center of the floor as follows: one in the middle of the front of the coach, another at the kitchen and the third at the entrance to the bedroom. Here are the ones I use....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then look to see where the level is and then I lower the front and rear jacks manually until they just touch the ground. Then I gently adjust the level as needed. I can do it much faster and with a lot fewer movements than AutoLevel.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #157

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
I use a single torpedo level I set on the floor just in front of the door. I manually drop the rears until ground contact and slight movement. Then drop the front to get level. Turn level 90* and adjust lateral level. Small presses to get small movements. If you overshoot there's no way with this crappy level system to retract just one side so you have to retract them all and start again. I put some wood blocks under the front pads to keep the front jack from being too leggy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:02 PM   #158

THOR #12751
Thor Super C front cap issues

If see the front severely low, I drive up on wood blocks with the front tires and then add blocks under the front jacks:

I have driven up on two blocks with no issues one time.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:19 AM   #159
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Just another technique: like Judge, I will use ramps and blocks but I have the Level Mate Pro (kept from when we sold our 5th wheel). Now, if a set of wheels are more than 4 or 5 inches different (e.g. if the rear wheels are 4 inches lower than the front) I will drive on ramps until the wheels are within 1 inch all around. The Level Mate Pro makes this easy. I will then put blocks under the jacks that are raised and proceed with the manual level process (front until it touches, back until it touches, then front or back until level in that direction. Next side to side until level). Using this process (as noted by everyone else) is much easier on the rig without the jerky movements associated with auto level.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:46 AM   #160

State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Thanks so much for the leveling tips and validating, much appreciated. Our last campers were a vintage/updated restored 1954 22’ Safari Airstream 13 panel (supper cool but too small) , and then a low mileage 2013 Jamboree Sport 28Y-29’ full paint without auto levelers (Great little well built coach). After leveling them for years I’m a pro at manual block leveling, really loving the stability now with having 4 down jack other than the wheels. Looks like the key with this SV34 is to use a little of both blocks and levelers when needed.