Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
F-600

I looked at the F600 vs the F550. It does not have alot of the options that the F550 has. The F600 is only a F600XL. I was thinking Thor might change to the F600 but it would be a down grade in options

Old 12-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #42

Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
What is the weight of the XG-32 and how much fuel, propane, water, grey and black tank water did you have in the tanks?
Just want to welcome you to the forumI'm so newb that I'm no real help....but so far everyone else is!
Old 12-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #43

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This thread brings up a fine point that ALL coach shoppers should put high on their list of things to consider - OCCC. It will always be easy to check on the “yellow sticker”. Check it when you’re looking and don’t believe the sales goober. I understand that some class C coaches are rated for barely 1000 lbs. on my last coach it was 2100 lbs and when I finally got around to weighing it I was astonished to be right at the limit. It’s easy to get heavy. When we went shopping again my target was 3500. The one we bought is listed at 3700 but I’ve not weighed it yet. Recently added a second AC at more than 100 lbs. like I said, it’s easy to get heavy!!
When you added the second AC unit, how did u wire it. I’m adding mine with a separate circuit to an outside male plug that I can connect to the pedestal. Unless there’s a better way.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #44

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
When you added the second AC unit, how did u wire it. I’m adding mine with a separate circuit to an outside male plug that I can connect to the pedestal. Unless there’s a better way.

Lots of folks do this in lots of ways. I had to cut and frame a new opening in my ceiling. I pulled 12/2 Romex through the ceiling and down to the basement through a vent pipe chase in the bathroom. I routed the Romex to my electrical compartment and added a small service panel with a 20A breaker and a 20A “inlet” (like a regular outlet but male instead of female). Then I purchased a 10 ga extension cord so that my entire circuit is rated for 20A. You can skip the new breaker if you only ever use the 20A outlet on the power pedestal as that breaker will protect your wiring and AC. But I wanted to be able to use an adapter to the 30 or 50A outlet (I bought a 50A to 30 and 20A adapter). And if you think you might ever do that the new breaker is important. It only added about $20 to the cost. My project came out nicely and I’m happy I did it. Getting the new AC on the roof was the most challenging part. And finding the courage to cut a 14 inch hole in my ceiling! Good luck!
Old 12-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #45

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
So...
Your diesels have a Jake built in?
Gas engines dont benefit from Jake's so much because gas engines brake on their own, and diesels GENERALLY do not....
AND
the v10 has excellent engine braking by using the tow haul and tapping the brake.

Or I'm horribly wrong.
The gas engine braking does not compare to the diesel engine braking. The diesel engine braking is so much better.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #46

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
Our 2 previous class C 1 on the E350 V10 and the 2nd on the E450 V10 do not even compare in driving and handling the mountains like our XG32, it is a dream to drive. We spend most of our time boon docking in the mountains of western Wyoming and Montana. The 4X4 is just extra insurance that we get in and out of our site if rains or in the fall if it snows.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #47

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
The gas engine braking does not compare to the diesel engine braking. The diesel engine braking is so much better.

I could not agree more. The difference between my Magnitude SV34 with the Powerstroke Diesel and my old Outlaw 29H with the Triton V10 is like night in day in terms of engine braking.

Last spring when going up and down the Carolina mountains I set the cruise control at 50 with the engine braking set at automatic and I never touch the brake or accelerator and the RPM's stayed 2000 - 2200.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #48

THOR #6903
We criss crossed the Rockies for years with 460 Fords towing large (at the time) campers

The 6.7 Power Stroke was like getting into Heaven early, truly like night and day for both the up and down experience

Anyone planning on significant miles on the road sure will want to take long look at Diesel power
Old 12-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #49

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
I looked at the F600 vs the F550. It does not have alot of the options that the F550 has. The F600 is only a F600XL. I was thinking Thor might change to the F600 but it would be a down grade in options

Ford shows F-600 XLT for 2021. As mentioned before, I expect we’ll see this option before long because the price difference between F-550 and F-600 isn’t that much when compared to the entire motorhome’s cost. Should be great added value to gain 22,000 versus 19,500 GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7706429-1B79-45DB-A895-245DFD8196F0.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	27617  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #50
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ford shows F-600 XLT for 2021. As mentioned before, I expect we’ll see this option before long because the price difference between F-550 and F-600 isn’t that much when compared to the entire motorhome’s cost. Should be great added value to gain 22,000 versus 19,500 GVWR.
Don't count on it. From a monetary standpoint Thor will use the minimum chassis that they can sell and if it is the F550 that is what they will stick with. If the F550 is available Thor will not reengineer for the F600.

Also, when you start getting beyond the class 5 chassis on a Super C most buyers will go ahead and spend the few extra dollars and move up to the Class 7 or higher on the Freightliner or Spartan chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #51

THOR #6826
Agree that it’s an awesome platform. Not just the drivetrain but also safety and convenience features. But for us it wasn’t worth the high price premium. We’ve been all over the Rocky Mountains with a 32 ft class A F53 and it handles them fine. There are a few passes that you’ll be in the truck lane at 45mph for a few minutes but it’s not a big deal. But that’s just us. By all means drive a lot of models and brands to minimize the chances of getting g a unit you’ll want to trade in a few months- like we did. It took us four tries. Don’t be like us!
Old 12-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #52

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engi...ake%20manifold.

So, what device does your diesel have to create the engine braking?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #53

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Don't count on it. From a monetary standpoint Thor will use the minimum chassis that they can sell and if it is the F550 that is what they will stick with. If the F550 is available Thor will not reengineer for the F600.

Also, when you start getting beyond the class 5 chassis on a Super C most buyers will go ahead and spend the few extra dollars and move up to the Class 7 or higher on the Freightliner or Spartan chassis.

I doubt there would be significant re-engineering involved since the F-600 is the same truck as F-550 with beefed-up driveline, chassis components, wheels and tires. Any new engineering, if required, should be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Media
New F-600 provides increased capability on a proven platform

For customers who need additional payload or need to mount heavier upfits but don’t want to move into a larger truck, the all-new Ford F-600 Super Duty chassis cab fills the sweet spot between F-550 and F-650. Although the overall vehicle is the same size as an F-550, F-600 uses upgraded driveline and chassis components, as well as higher-weight-rated 19.5-inch tires and wheels to help it achieve a higher GVWR. With Ford’s class-exclusive choice of gasoline or diesel powertrains and 4x2 or 4x4 drivetrains, F-600 lets fleets spec the truck they want instead of settling for one that’s available. F-600 can be ordered in early 2020 and will be available in mid 2020.

F-600 customers can choose from two engines – the 7.3-liter gas V8 or the third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel. An all-new 10-speed TorqShift® automatic transmission is available across all engine offerings with available live-drive power takeoff provision with up to 300 lb.-ft. of torque.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But you have to remember that Thor is looking to build for the cheapest price possible; and not the best engineered possible...
Old 12-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #55

THOR #6826
The 600 offers more weight carrying and that was another important issue steering us away from the current super C’s. I expect they’ll adopt the platform for that reason alone.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #56
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I doubt there would be significant re-engineering involved since the F-600 is the same truck as F-550 with beefed-up driveline, chassis components, wheels and tires. Any new engineering, if required, should be minimal.
Any re-engineering represents an un-necessary cost that translates to increased cost to consumer or decreased profit from sales and thereby reduced dividends to share holders.

Remember, Thor is a stock company and a sad fact of life is they are more concerned about stockholders and capital than they are about customers wants and desires.

Looks like the difference in cost from the 500 to the 600 would be at least 5K. An additional 5K on the cost of a low end Super C might drive folks to other brands. That extra 5K still doesn't result in air brakes, air suspension which are standard on the Freightliner chassis.

A proven fact demonstrated time and time again is the only time Thor makes a chassis change is when the current chassis is no longer available.

If Thor wanted a class 6 chassis why didn't they start with the F-650 to begin with? Remember, the F550 4x4 is a recent development on Ford's part and Thor has been using the F-550 for quite a few years (long before the 4x4) beginning with the Four Winds and Chateau Super C versions. BTW, in my reading even though it is branded F600 Ford still rates it as a Class 5 chassis which is interesting because at 22K it should be classified a Class 6.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #57

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

....cut.....
If Thor wanted a class 6 chassis why didn't they start with the F-650 to begin with?
.....cut.....
Not my area of expertise, but I can take an educated guess.

Upgrading from F-550 to F-600 is relatively cheap and easy, with a listed price difference of as little as $3,660.

The F-650 is a truck intended for commercial use and is not available with upgraded interior expected in a nice motorhome. It is also much taller and harder to climb into, and adds about $15,000 or more.

I’m not making case for Ford F-600 versus Freightliner. I was only correcting information that was no longer applicable. The F-600 in XLT trim can make a motorhome with 2,500 greater GVWR for under $4,000 added cost.

I personally see this similar to E-350 versus E-450. Size and weight drives selection.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps Ford can't supply the 600 chassis in the quantities required?
Old 12-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #59

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The people here who will suffer through the stock shower head so as not to spend $32 are not exactly willing to pay for the upgrade.
Thor isn't silly.
They'll not interrupt a build line for 25 or so units a year(I'll guess more like six), or even a month and possibly not a day.

They're not losing a single isolated penny by not offering that.
And
If it had a slide Chance wouldn't buy it if it were free. 8-)
And
If it's a toy hauler 98% of people wouldn't buy it.

So,
You're down to 1:200,000 who want a load carrier with no load to carry.

I'm not qqquuuittte getting the speculation since the speculators aren't in the market for such a thing.

I you wanted one, you'd have one.
I have mine, judge has his.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #60

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

....cut....

If it had a slide Chance wouldn't buy it if it were free. 8-)

....cut....
Correct. I have no use for slides. I also don’t want or need a Super C. If someone gave me one as a gift, I’d trade it the next day for something half the size. I don’t agree with you often, but agree life is too short to own stuff that doesn’t make us happy.

Unfortunately for me, manufacturers don't build smaller motorhomes like I’d want, and I’m not good at compromising or settling for less than I want.

For a while I was looking forward to Thor’s new Hymer division, but that’s on back burner due to Covid.

For what it’s worth, I doubt Thor will cut corners on chassis GVWR solely on price. They are more likely to do it when they exceed chassis capability and can’t go higher. The E-450 at 14,500 pounds, as an example, is as high as they can go, so large Class Cs on E-450 are more likely to be overloaded. If Ford still made E-550, someone would build even larger Class Cs in my opinion.

When it becomes an option the F-600 versus F-550 won’t be that different than F-53 stripped chassis which is rated from 16,000 to 26,000 pounds. Thor and others will buy the minimum that makes sense.