Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Don't click this one...
(You have been warned... )

Old 12-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #62

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm about the same.
You'd have a hard time giving me a free c class if I had to use it.

I still think I can make the slide disappear on a 24.1.

Remove all the slide crap(we never use ours) build a frame of angle iron that another angle iron frame fits into, bolt, glue(gm body panel adhesive) and weld the outside panel on.
Our slide has been used only for demo and maintenance, not as a living quarters thing.

If ours gives us a moments grief, it's getting pulled out.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Well... you sure miss something by not seeing it on the Big Screen...
Old 12-14-2020, 02:45 AM   #64

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engi...ake%20manifold.

So, what device does your diesel have to create the engine braking?
Read this article. Maybe it will clear it up for you.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-it-work-.html
Old 12-14-2020, 03:21 AM   #65
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One thing I noticed as we have begun using more US, State and County roads over interstates is that there are quite a few communities that prohibit the use of exhaust/engine brakes.

Also, my Freightliner S2RV chassis came with the Exhaust Brake disable while using cruise control so when it goes into the Freightliner dealer for its annual service I'm going to have them enable that feature.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #66

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
One thing I noticed as we have begun using more US, State and County roads over interstates is that there are quite a few communities that prohibit the use of exhaust/engine brakes.

Also, my Freightliner S2RV chassis came with the Exhaust Brake disable while using cruise control so when it goes into the Freightliner dealer for its annual service I'm going to have them enable that feature.
I believe that's more directed at the big rigs using their Jake Brakes with dual open exhaust. They're pretty darn noisy.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's how they handle it around here
.they leave PP vehicles alone, and keep an eye on the commercial ones.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:00 AM   #68

State: Virginia
THOR #27526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Finally getting around to chiming in.....

While it is always good and important to be aware of the GVWR / weight rating of your coach it is also important to look at the key components to determine the weak links and where you really need to worry.

First a disclaimer.... I'm not advocating people blatantly exceed their GVWR.

If you look at a typical Class C that is about 30' long on the Ford E-450. The GVWR is usually 14,500. Most of those coaches get right up against the GVWR when fully loaded. The weakest link on those coaches are the stock 16" tires. They are LT tires, which are not designed to carry heavy loads at all times. Their dually load rating is right about at the GVWR rating of the coach and the real limiting factor. The axles could actually support more than the GVWR rating.

That being said, the E-450 is not a "true" Super Duty or Heavy Duty truck chassis. It is a van chassis and Ford gives them a basic suspension and tires because they don't know if the cutaway chassis will be a cargo van, ambulance, shuttle bus or a motorhome. A Class C motorhome 25' or longer pushes that stock setup to its limits. I was more worried about the tires when I had my Outlaw 29H than anything else because they were not designed to carry heavy loads at all times and be right up against their limits. I did still beef up the suspension because the ride comfort and handling was horrible with the stock suspension was pushed to its limits.

If you look at the F-550 Super Duty chassis for the Magnitude / Omni, it is a "true" truck chassis meant to carry heavy, heavy loads. The stock tires are capable of carrying almost 23,000lbs.... or almost 3500lbs more than the GVWR. Those tires are also designed to carry heavy loads at all times. The brakes coupled with the diesel engine braking capability can easily handle stopping weights over 19,500 and one of then reasons why the GCWR is 35,000lbs.

The power train is more than capable of carrying loads over the GVWR. For as heavy as the Magnitude is, I am amazed at the power and fuel economy of the stock setup. I have not been out west with it yet but it has handled the hills and mountains in the east with no issues and when I am towing I barely know I am pulling something. It is a night and day difference compared to my old Class C Outlaw.

The rear sway bar and leaf springs are very stout on the stock F-550. That being said, I opted to add Sumo Springs to help soften the ride a bit over rough terrain. But I'm not too worried that when we are fully loaded and we might be getting close to or slightly over the 19,500 in our SV34 given what the F-550 was designed to do. We often leave for a trip with full fuel, full propane and full fresh water plus all of our gear.

On top of the weight of fluids and gear I have added the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier and a Spare Tire. That added an extra 180 - 200lbs to the back end of the coach.

As for 4x4..... some people think it is unnecessary or a gimmick. I can't say I thought it was a must have but I am glad I do have it. I don't intend to do any off-roading in it and that is not Thor's intent anyway. It is designed for peace of mind when driving in poor road conditions (heavy rain, snow, sleet, etc.) or to give you a chance to get out of a soft campsite. I have heard about people having 4-figure bills for towing services when their coach was stuck and needed to be pulled out.... ouch!

These rigs are heavy and if you are not parking on a concrete pad or somewhere where the ground is rock hard and it rarely rains, there is the possibility of getting stuck in some campgrounds. I will take the extra weight of the 4x4 knowing the F-550 can handle it for the peace of mind when I encounter the above scenarios and you just happened to need the 4x4.

I'm going to be picking up my coach at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa the week of December 21 and I feel better about driving back in it should I hit some unexpected weather on the way because I do have the 4x4 available.
Judge,
I'd love to hear more about the Roadmaster spare tire carrier. It looks like you can pull a toad, but have you done it? I have the F600 chassis pulling a 2023 F-150 and am not sure i want any more distance between camper and truck - it seems like the F150 wants to lead sometimes... But I really wan tot carry a spare!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #69

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Florida
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobintheHood View Post
Judge,
I'd love to hear more about the Roadmaster spare tire carrier. It looks like you can pull a toad, but have you done it? I have the F600 chassis pulling a 2023 F-150 and am not sure i want any more distance between camper and truck - it seems like the F150 wants to lead sometimes... But I really wan tot carry a spare!
I've been driving and living full-time, in the Magnitude with the Roadmaster spare tire carrier for two years. It is sturdy, but the quality of the "powdercoating" is less than desirable. I've needed to sand it down in multiple places and repaint. I've taken it on and off numerous times, it's easy to use (with the tire on it's heavy). It is a two inch hitch, so you'll need the adapter for our 2.5 inch hitches.
I don't tow with it, but I put it on my tow (Ford Edge) to carry my spare tire. It is beefy (the attachment arm is solid steel-I had to cut off an inch to adapt it to my tow hitch), that I wouldn't see a problem with using it to tow with. Once I shed some more weight, it will eventually move to the hitch, and I'll use it to tow.
My two cents. Mostly wanted to comment on the powdercoating and war aspect.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #70

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Bob is right - they all use the same chassis which has the same GVWR and GCWR. When you put a bigger house on the same chassis there's less left over for the customer to add.

Same applies to MHs built on the E350 or E450 chassis.

The only outlier is the F53 chassis as there are several different chassis in that class from a 16,000 GVWR chassis to a 26,000 lb chassis, all using the same engine and driveline but different suspensions.
The differentials (gears size, ratios and axle strength) are different, as are the frame rails (same size but different grades of steel with different thicknesses).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:01 AM   #71

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Bob is right - they all use the same chassis which has the same GVWR and GCWR. When you put a bigger house on the same chassis there's less left over for the customer to add.

Same applies to MHs built on the E350 or E450 chassis.

The only outlier is the F53 chassis as there are several different chassis in that class from a 16,000 GVWR chassis to a 26,000 lb chassis, all using the same engine and driveline but different suspensions.
Not quite the same driveline. As the GVWR go's up the rear axle gear ratio also changes. My 18,000# Chasse has a 4.30 rear axle ratio but a unit with a 26,000# GVWR chassis has a 6.17 rear axle ratio.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:19 AM   #72

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
The gas engine braking does not compare to the diesel engine braking. The diesel engine braking is so much better.
The engine braking on my F53 Chassis is far better than my old Chevy P30 chassis motor home. I am halfway through my shake out cruse through New Mexico and Arizona. I never had to manually downshift or ride the brakes while descending a long downhill. The power uphill is also much better than the P30 as well. For the most part the F53 can maintain headway much better uphill.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #73

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I think you will absolutely be thrilled with it!.

My DW wants to go to Alaska so we have been kicking around a trip there in the next 2 - 3 years. I don't think I would do it if I didn't have the 4x4 option for a little added confidence of dealing with the roads and weather up there.
The trip up to AK doesn't require or need 4x4 to safely do. The group I went with was mostly As with 2 5th wheels all regular drive. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip up and may go back again but not with a group. Everybody goes to the same places and 2 basic ways up. ALCAN and Cassius. Construction areas and frost heaves will slow you down but 4x4 isn't needed. You'll likely lose a windshield cause oncoming construction traffic/semi truck don't slow down and they kick up rocks. Get some super glue or windshield repair kits ahead of time to "patch" them.

In my opinion the 4x4 on most of the smaller "super C, omni, etc. is a selling gimmick that takes away from usable OCCC. Not needed or used in most cases. In the case of the omni, the 4x4 also increases the likelihood that the front tires come off the ground when attempting leveling due to limited suspension travel.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote