Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I think you will absolutely be thrilled with it!.

My DW wants to go to Alaska so we have been kicking around a trip there in the next 2 - 3 years. I don't think I would do it if I didn't have the 4x4 option for a little added confidence of dealing with the roads and weather up there.

Yes, exactly!! A little bit of added assurance for the sake of Alaska is what my heart is set upon...and your DW is brilliant!!
So, did you have to do trade-offs when adding mods/upgrades to compensate for added weight, to keep from going too over weight? For example: you still got your refrigerator, right? Which, I think is 160 lbs., but you get the idea. Thanks for helping me understand nuances...I'm prepared to take out the fridge!lol

Name:  tanks.gif
Views: 433
Size:  292.6 KB

Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you're going to the expense of 4wd I'd get a hidden front hitch ($120ish) and I carry a winch with a hitch mount so it could be used front or back($200ish)and a snatch strap($35).
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=142

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #23

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If you're going to the expense of 4wd I'd get a hidden front hitch ($120ish) and I carry a winch with a hitch mount so it could be used front or back($200ish)and a snatch strap($35).
My husband has been saying something about that very idea. I should ping him to this thread!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ringydingy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	27499
Old 12-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #24

Model: Magnitude XG32
THOR #18758
Quote:
The brakes coupled with the diesel engine braking capability can easily handle stopping weights...
I can vouch for that statement. I picked ours up in Idaho and specifically took the most mountainous route back to Florida to check out that particular aspect of the rig. Rock solid through the mountains, felt like I was driving an F150. The engine braking was also top notch. 6% grade , what else you got?!
I opted for Air Lift air bags because of the huge swing in the types of roads we will be traveling on to Alaska. Big difference in the ride. I also installed Helwig rear anti-sway bar. Bottom line, we have a beefed up rear, and soon to be front, suspension upgrades with lots of adjusting options.
Also toying with getting wider rims (still undecided) so I can put on 245/70s. Along with that size comes increased wight bearing tires. I know it doesn't increase the gross weight, but it will give us piece of mind if we are close or slightly over
Old 12-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #25

THOR #18758
Quote:
Nice setup. Great idea. Love the LED bar!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #26

THOR #13932
So...
Your diesels have a Jake built in?
Gas engines dont benefit from Jake's so much because gas engines brake on their own, and diesels GENERALLY do not....
AND
the v10 has excellent engine braking by using the tow haul and tapping the brake.

Or I'm horribly wrong.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #27

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Nice setup. Great idea. Love the LED bar!
Posts 213 and 216 in my signature thread has installation and wiring instructions.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #28

THOR #21373
...about Gmthrust

Side note:

Name:	gmt.gif
Views:	41
Size:	992.4 KB
ID:	27502
ETA: click it!
Old 12-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #29

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi ammi View Post
Yes, exactly!! A little bit of added assurance for the sake of Alaska is what my heart is set upon...and your DW is brilliant!!
So, did you have to do trade-offs when adding mods/upgrades to compensate for added weight, to keep from going too over weight? For example: you still got your refrigerator, right? Which, I think is 160 lbs., but you get the idea. Thanks for helping me understand nuances...I'm prepared to take out the fridge!lol

Attachment 27498
If I had to do a rough estimate, the upgrades I have done have added less than ~300lbs so I have done nothing other than add front and rear Sumo Springs.

- Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier and Spare Tire = 180lbs
- Two 160W Renogy Flexible Solar Panels = 10lbs
- Dirt Devil Central Vac = 20lbs
- Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS = 10lbs
- Swap Coach for Recliners = 0
- Swap 40" TV for 32" Smart TV with Swivel Mount = 0
- Add Swivel Mount for Bedroom TV = 1lb
- TPMS w/ Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization System = 1lb
- Two Security Cameras = 1lb
- Swap WFCO Converter for Progressive Dynamics PD9200 Converter = 0
- Rear Mud Flaps = 4lbs

I think that is everything I have done but I may be missing a couple things. If I add all that up it's about 229lbs. Then I better add in the DW's decorations.... that is probably another 10lbs.

As I said, I am not too worried about exceeding the 19500 GVWR rating of the Magnitude. Many of the individual components are rated over that number. I would guess Ford has some variance before safety and reliability come into play. Maybe as much as 10% so that means you would have to be overweight by 1900lbs until before being concerned.

Again, I am not advocating pushing the limits but a couple hundred pounds over or under is not going to make a difference. It's like the oil in the engine. If you drive 5 miles over the recommended oil change mileage, the engine is not going to blow up.

When I start out with a full load of fuel, it weighs ~475. I usually can drive all day on one tank so over the course of the day I will actually be getting lighter as the diesel is burned. As we use fresh water and propane, the load will continue to lighten (after dumping the tanks) during the course of the trip.

I may add a heavy duty bumper / cow catcher on the front to protect for impacts with wildlife. That would add some more weight up front but again I'm not too worried about it.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #30

THOR #21373
Quote:
If I had to do a rough estimate, the upgrades I have done have added less than ~300lbs.....
Again, I am not advocating pushing the limits but a couple hundred pounds over or under is not going to make a difference.....
When I start out with a full load of fuel, it weighs ~475. I usually can drive all day on one tank so over the course of the day I will actually be getting lighter as the diesel is burned. As we use fresh water and propane, the load will continue to lighten (after dumping the tanks) during the course of the trip.
I may add a heavy duty bumper / cow catcher on the front to protect for impacts with wildlife. That would add some more weight up front but again I'm not too worried about it.

Thank you, Judge...I can't thank you enough! I owe a heartfelt apology to my husband who tried to reassure me with pretty much exactly what you're saying. Not that I don't trust his judgement, I guess I just wanted a second opinion from someone like you. The weight issue will always be something to be aware of, but not keep me awake at night, as much as it was.

So previously, I was ready to take out the fridge, microwave, etc., but now we can keep our rig as beautiful as it is! At least for right now....all is well
Old 12-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #31

THOR #21373
Nice job, Ducksface<3

Quote:
Posts 213 and 216 in my signature thread has installation and wiring instructions.
Here's the clickable links to those two posts:
#213 https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=213

#216 https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=216

And a bonus one too, because it's just cool...
#214 https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=214

Very nice!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #32

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Although the chart below is for the 2021s (source https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude/specs/), it is useful to help see my question. It's not about year models...no, not at all. I have an in-general weightier question.

We have the 2020 Magnitude XG32, and weighed it---giving us the general idea of how many pounds of leeway for mods, upgrades, etc., ...you know I was happy. Well, I'm still pretty much...

It's just that I noticed how the *bigger brothers* of the smaller XG32 are at the same totals for weight limit.
1. How can that be? (See comparison chart below.)
2. If you own one of the bigger fellas, how do you do any mods, upgrades, etc., that most certainly adds weight---aren't you very necessarily already closer to the maximum weight than the baby brother is?
3. How do you lighten your load? Please and thanks for helping me understand!
Attachment 27492
I guess the question is, how many mods could add significant weight to the unit? I always drive with a full water for wind stability, Usually full of fuel too. I added a satellite dish, a tow bar, and some mud flaps on the front, then some food in the fridge and pantry and a few extra rolls of toilet paper. I tow a Wrangler Rubicon too. Just wondering?

Now if i pick up a few offensive lineman from a football game, I might have an issue.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #33

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Although the chart below is for the 2021s (source https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude/specs/), it is useful to help see my question. It's not about year models...no, not at all. I have an in-general weightier question.

We have the 2020 Magnitude XG32, and weighed it---giving us the general idea of how many pounds of leeway for mods, upgrades, etc., ...you know I was happy. Well, I'm still pretty much...

It's just that I noticed how the *bigger brothers* of the smaller XG32 are at the same totals for weight limit.
1. How can that be? (See comparison chart below.)
2. If you own one of the bigger fellas, how do you do any mods, upgrades, etc., that most certainly adds weight---aren't you very necessarily already closer to the maximum weight than the baby brother is?
3. How do you lighten your load? Please and thanks for helping me understand!
Attachment 27492
You said you weighed your XG32, what did it come in at? Is that the gross combined vehicle weight set for the chassis, or for the coach from Thor?
Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you ever DID get tipped over by the wind: those lineman could prove their worth; by setting you back upright!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #35

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
XG-32 Weight

What is the weight of the XG-32 and how much fuel, propane, water, grey and black tank water did you have in the tanks?
Old 12-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #36

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
XG-32 mud flaps

Judge
Where did you get the mud flaps and did you need brackets?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #37

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
You said you weighed your XG32, what did it come in at? Is that the gross combined vehicle weight set for the chassis, or for the coach from Thor?
We weighed back in (I think it was) July...and can't remember all the details except that we had 1000 lbs to 'play with' ----> but then I started thinking about how my family members in Alaska are going to want to go for a ride. And so I worried about the---> "Now if i pick up a few offensive lineman from a football game, I might have an issue." And started poking around a little bit concerned about how to ask my family how much each member weighed.

When I discovered that the bigger brothers of my rig were at the same rating---I posted about it. It really stumped me that Taj could lift, pull, tug arm-wrestle, whatever-its-called, as much they could. Not that I view it as some sorta weird competition...just trying to understand what I thought was odd. So, anyway, I guess it's not so odd afterall, and should count it as a good happenstance.

The moral of the story is Newb falls in love with Thor forum.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #38

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you ever DID get tipped over by the wind: those lineman could prove their worth; by setting you back upright!
This^would be the one reason football is cool.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #39

THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post
When we weighed it, I printed out the results, then wrote all the parameters on the printout, i.e. fuel, water, grey, black tank full. At that time, with all tanks full we had roughly 1100 pounds until we hit 19500. I can't tell you what the exact numbers were because our puppy ate the paper. That's right, my dog ate my homework!
Old 12-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #40

THOR #21373
She's so dang cute tho.

Name:	bobross.gif
Views:	52
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	27565