Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
Thor Super C Weight a Minute question

Although the chart below is for the 2021s (source https://www.thormotorcoach.com/magnitude/specs/), it is useful to help see my question. It's not about year models...no, not at all. I have an in-general weightier question.

We have the 2020 Magnitude XG32, and weighed it---giving us the general idea of how many pounds of leeway for mods, upgrades, etc., ...you know I was happy. Well, I'm still pretty much...

It's just that I noticed how the *bigger brothers* of the smaller XG32 are at the same totals for weight limit.
1. How can that be? (See comparison chart below.)
2. If you own one of the bigger fellas, how do you do any mods, upgrades, etc., that most certainly adds weight---aren't you very necessarily already closer to the maximum weight than the baby brother is?
3. How do you lighten your load? Please and thanks for helping me understand!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tajweight.png
Views:	419
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	27492

Old 12-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since they're all built with the same running gear: it's not surprising that their load capacities are all the same.
Look at it this way: you might have less space; but you can carry a whole lot more with you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good observation. The, IMO, low OCCC of the Magnitude is one of the reasons why the DW and I decided on the Entegra Accolade on a Class 7 Freightliner chassis instead of a Magnitude. Our OCCC is right at 5,000 lbs. Fully loaded I come in at 26,900 which is 2,100 below my GVWR of 29,000. Add in my TOAD and I was at 32,320 and my GCWR is 41,000.

IMO the Magnitude/Omni give up a lot for that 4x4 chassis when most folks will never need or use it. The 4x4 components themselves have to weigh in at over 1,000 lbs.

It's a world of trade offs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Makes perfect sense to me. Bob is right - they all use the same chassis which has the same GVWR and GCWR. When you put a bigger house on the same chassis there's less left over for the customer to add.

Same applies to MHs built on the E350 or E450 chassis.

The only outlier is the F53 chassis as there are several different chassis in that class from a 16,000 GVWR chassis to a 26,000 lb chassis, all using the same engine and driveline but different suspensions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #5

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Since they're all built with the same running gear: it's not surprising that their load capacities are all the same.
Look at it this way: you might have less space; but you can carry a whole lot more with you!
kahPOW
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb.gif
Views:	167
Size:	704.5 KB
ID:	27493
ETA: click it, Bob!
Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Good observation. The, IMO, low OCCC of the Magnitude is one of the reasons why the DW and I decided on the Entegra Accolade on a Class 7 Freightliner chassis instead of a Magnitude. Our OCCC is right at 5,000 lbs. Fully loaded I come in at 26,900 which is 2,100 below my GVWR of 29,000. Add in my TOAD and I was at 32,320 and my GCWR is 41,000.

IMO the Magnitude/Omni give up a lot for that 4x4 chassis when most folks will never need or use it. The 4x4 components themselves have to weigh in at over 1,000 lbs.

It's a world of trade offs.

Holey cow, I see what you mean now! And I hadn't even considered that, not that I ever plan on going all out 4wheeling, but Alaska is calling me. I begged for a 4x4 ...Aaaa!! It's gonna be okay, tho, still pretty happy
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Bob is right - they all use the same chassis which has the same GVWR and GCWR. When you put a bigger house on the same chassis there's less left over for the customer to add.

The only outlier is the F53 chassis as there are several different chassis in that class from a 16,000 GVWR chassis to a 26,000 lb chassis, all using the same engine and driveline but different suspensions.
I'm very thankful that we went with the baby brother then. My heart goes out to the ones wanting to add even more mods and upgrades ----having to choose between beefing up the suspension or what's in your fridge.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi ammi View Post
kahPOW
Attachment 27493
ETA: click it, Bob!
Don't click this one...
(You have been warned... )
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #9

THOR #21373
AAaaa!! I clicked it!!!

Side note:

Hoping Judge chimes in on the Weight a Minute thread. I know he's done really awesome mods and upgrades on his beautiful rig. IDK how to ping him.
<3
Old 12-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that he comes in on this discussion also: he just KNOWS stuff...
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Oh! If you survived that scene: you can handle any gory movie that's out there...
That's by far; the worst kill scene that I saw in a crowded theater. People were screaming, and some were "giving back" the over-priced snacks...
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #12

THOR #21373
Quote:
I hope that he comes in on this discussion also: he just KNOWS stuff...

He's so cool!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

THOR #21373
Quote:
Oh! If you survived that scene: you can handle any gory movie that's out there...
That's by far; the worst kill scene that I saw in a crowded theater. People were screaming, and some were "giving back" the over-priced snacks...
I think that little clip was my quota for the day.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
AAaaa!! I clicked it!!!

Side note:

Hoping Judge chimes in on the Weight a Minute thread. I know he's done really awesome mods and upgrades on his beautiful rig. IDK how to ping him.
<3
You can PM him using his user name Judge.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

I expect the new F-600 will join the mix to complement F-550 much like E-350 and E-450. With 22,000-pound GVWR, it should increase OCCC by close to 2,500 pounds. With gas engine, OCCC could increase even more to about 3,000 pounds, more or less.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #16

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You can PM him using his user name Judge.
Thanks for that info!!

Another side note:
Hey, just a little bit ago I remembered something-->I quoted one of your posts in my Newbie intro thread...was trying to figure out how to ask my family members how much they weigh. haha
Old 12-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Finally getting around to chiming in.....

While it is always good and important to be aware of the GVWR / weight rating of your coach it is also important to look at the key components to determine the weak links and where you really need to worry.

First a disclaimer.... I'm not advocating people blatantly exceed their GVWR.

If you look at a typical Class C that is about 30' long on the Ford E-450. The GVWR is usually 14,500. Most of those coaches get right up against the GVWR when fully loaded. The weakest link on those coaches are the stock 16" tires. They are LT tires, which are not designed to carry heavy loads at all times. Their dually load rating is right about at the GVWR rating of the coach and the real limiting factor. The axles could actually support more than the GVWR rating.

That being said, the E-450 is not a "true" Super Duty or Heavy Duty truck chassis. It is a van chassis and Ford gives them a basic suspension and tires because they don't know if the cutaway chassis will be a cargo van, ambulance, shuttle bus or a motorhome. A Class C motorhome 25' or longer pushes that stock setup to its limits. I was more worried about the tires when I had my Outlaw 29H than anything else because they were not designed to carry heavy loads at all times and be right up against their limits. I did still beef up the suspension because the ride comfort and handling was horrible with the stock suspension was pushed to its limits.

If you look at the F-550 Super Duty chassis for the Magnitude / Omni, it is a "true" truck chassis meant to carry heavy, heavy loads. The stock tires are capable of carrying almost 23,000lbs.... or almost 3500lbs more than the GVWR. Those tires are also designed to carry heavy loads at all times. The brakes coupled with the diesel engine braking capability can easily handle stopping weights over 19,500 and one of then reasons why the GCWR is 35,000lbs.

The power train is more than capable of carrying loads over the GVWR. For as heavy as the Magnitude is, I am amazed at the power and fuel economy of the stock setup. I have not been out west with it yet but it has handled the hills and mountains in the east with no issues and when I am towing I barely know I am pulling something. It is a night and day difference compared to my old Class C Outlaw.

The rear sway bar and leaf springs are very stout on the stock F-550. That being said, I opted to add Sumo Springs to help soften the ride a bit over rough terrain. But I'm not too worried that when we are fully loaded and we might be getting close to or slightly over the 19,500 in our SV34 given what the F-550 was designed to do. We often leave for a trip with full fuel, full propane and full fresh water plus all of our gear.

On top of the weight of fluids and gear I have added the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier and a Spare Tire. That added an extra 180 - 200lbs to the back end of the coach.

As for 4x4..... some people think it is unnecessary or a gimmick. I can't say I thought it was a must have but I am glad I do have it. I don't intend to do any off-roading in it and that is not Thor's intent anyway. It is designed for peace of mind when driving in poor road conditions (heavy rain, snow, sleet, etc.) or to give you a chance to get out of a soft campsite. I have heard about people having 4-figure bills for towing services when their coach was stuck and needed to be pulled out.... ouch!

These rigs are heavy and if you are not parking on a concrete pad or somewhere where the ground is rock hard and it rarely rains, there is the possibility of getting stuck in some campgrounds. I will take the extra weight of the 4x4 knowing the F-550 can handle it for the peace of mind when I encounter the above scenarios and you just happened to need the 4x4.

I'm going to be picking up my coach at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa the week of December 21 and I feel better about driving back in it should I hit some unexpected weather on the way because I do have the 4x4 available.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
This thread brings up a fine point that ALL coach shoppers should put high on their list of things to consider - OCCC. It will always be easy to check on the “yellow sticker”. Check it when you’re looking and don’t believe the sales goober. I understand that some class C coaches are rated for barely 1000 lbs. on my last coach it was 2100 lbs and when I finally got around to weighing it I was astonished to be right at the limit. It’s easy to get heavy. When we went shopping again my target was 3500. The one we bought is listed at 3700 but I’ve not weighed it yet. Recently added a second AC at more than 100 lbs. like I said, it’s easy to get heavy!!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #19

THOR #21373
Yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Finally getting around to chiming in.....
Judge!! Thank you for chiming in and writing those words of wisdom. Not that you were trying to boost my confidence in the Thor Magnitude 4x4, but you did!! I'm so delighted and can barely contain myself....pardon me for a moment while I do the Little Miss Sunshine happy dance.

Btw---->how you drive yours is how we plan to drive ours!!! Love!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge!! Thank you for chiming in and writing those words of wisdom. Not that you were trying to boost my confidence in the Thor Magnitude 4x4, but you did!! I'm so delighted and can barely contain myself....pardon me for a moment while I do the Little Miss Sunshine happy dance.

Btw---->how you drive yours is how we plan to drive ours!!! Love!!!

I think you will absolutely be thrilled with it!.

My DW wants to go to Alaska so we have been kicking around a trip there in the next 2 - 3 years. I don't think I would do it if I didn't have the 4x4 option for a little added confidence of dealing with the roads and weather up there.