Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2022, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #23156
tire wear Ford F-550 chassis Thor Magnitude BH35

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this type of wear. I am the 2nd owner and have put 3-4K miles on this 2022 BH35 with a grand total of just north of 10K miles on the clock. I believe the tires are the original factory Continental tires. This is the first time I have owned a larger commercial truck chassis vehicle so I am not sure what to expect. Noticed the front tires were chipping and scuffing on the tread. This followed 2 events where I had to do a full panic stop from 45-50 mph which activated the anti lock and had some tire chirping up front. I took it in recently to have it checked as the fronts are wearing a bit more on that outside than inside of the tread. Alignment is good and they basically told me this is normal and the Conti's I have are among the best tires in this size for this rig. What is more puzzling to me is the rears have the same type of wear on the inside like the fronts. I supposed it is possible the previous owner had the tires rotated, but I kinda doubt it since it would involve dismounting/mounting tires on different rims which is not inexpensive to do. Would love to hear what others have experienced. I know there many on here with more miles that I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220406_120024.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	36824   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220406_120634.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	36825  

Name:	20220406_120641.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	36826   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220406_120649.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	36827  

Old 04-07-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I don't have your rig or problem but you have a misconception about your rims: They are all the same, no dismounting required to rotate.

As far as tire wear - looks like too much toe out to me.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:58 AM   #3

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't have your rig or problem but you have a misconception about your rims: They are all the same, no dismounting required to rotate.

The inside rims on the dually are steel and not the fancy aluminum. Are you sure these wheel/tires can just be swapped from rear to front? The valve stem setup in the rear alone seems it would not work not to mention inverting the rims. As mentioned alignment is all within spec. I saw the print out myself.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Looks like it needs an alignment.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:01 AM   #5

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Looks like it needs an alignment.
Agreed, but the alignment machine said otherwise.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohoda View Post
Agreed, but the alignment machine said otherwise.
Alignment machines are only as good as the operator.

And I think you're confusing wheel simulators with wheels.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a 2022 Magnitude SV34 on the F-550 and I have 20,000 miles on my coach and have no abnormal tire wear. At 12,000 miles last season I had the alignment checked at a commercial truck specialty center and it was within spec. All they needed to do for me was better align the steering wheel. I will say the outer edges of the tires have a little more wear than the rest of the tread but I am pleased for the overall tire wear at 20,000 miles for a coach that weighs about 20,000lbs.

Where do you have the alignment checked? Might be worth trying another shop that specializes in commercial trucks or a Ford Commercial Truck Center.

The wheels are physically all the same. However, to save money Ford did use steel wheels for the inside rear tires instead of the polished aluminum wheels. The front wheels and rear outside wheels do have different part numbers for some aesthetic differences.

I carry a spare and I bought the same Conti tire and a steel rim. If I have a flat, I don't care what the rim looks like.... I just want to get going. I made sure the rim fit on the front before having the tire mounted.... and it fit just fine.

What are your cold air pressures all the way around? Have you weighed the coach to determine which pressures you should be running? I have attached the Continental recommended pressure based on weights for you.

If you are overweight, that can cause some wear issues. Thor built the Omni / Magnitudes right up against the weight limits for the F-550. The models with the F-600 have more wiggle room.

Now from your rear wheel perspective.... do you use a TPMS? You will find that as the tires heat up, the inner tires begin to run hotter than the outer tires from brake heat, exhaust heat, etc. I use the Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization system to keep the rear tire pressures and tread on the pavement as equal as possible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContinetalTire-medium-radial-chart-data.pdf (98.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:

And I think you're confusing wheel simulators with wheels.
Just an FYI...... Super C's don't use wheel simulators.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #9

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Looks like hard braking taking out chunks in the center and to fast around corners grinding the outside edge down.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:

Wrong...the inside rears are on steel wheels while the outside rears are on aluminum. It would take a circus act to rotate but it's normal in this setup.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Continentals are excellent commercial tires. Everything I see in the wear patterns leans towards very poor pressure management from previous owner. A severely underinflated tire on the inside rear wold cause the cupping as seen. The outer wear of the fronts is caused be severe under-inflation. Get 6 new tires and keep up the pressure...I stay at 90PSI cold.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Continentals are excellent commercial tires. Everything I see in the wear patterns leans towards very poor pressure management from previous owner. A severely underinflated tire on the inside rear wold cause the cupping as seen. The outer wear of the fronts is caused be severe under-inflation. Get 6 new tires and keep up the pressure...I stay at 90PSI cold.
Under inflation cause wear on both outer edges of a tire not just one edge. The pics show an alignment issue regardless of what the alignment shop says. The prior sop has either a bad machine for the vehicle type or a bad tech for aligning the vehicle type.

I had continental conti trac tires on a Ford Expedition that passed inspection with 70k miles on them. After 70k I didn’t like how they handled in rain so I replaced them.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #13

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2022 Magnitude SV34 on the F-550 and I have 20,000 miles on my coach and have no abnormal tire wear. At 12,000 miles last season I had the alignment checked at a commercial truck specialty center and it was within spec. All they needed to do for me was better align the steering wheel. I will say the outer edges of the tires have a little more wear than the rest of the tread but I am pleased for the overall tire wear at 20,000 miles for a coach that weighs about 20,000lbs.

Where do you have the alignment checked? Might be worth trying another shop that specializes in commercial trucks or a Ford Commercial Truck Center.

The wheels are physically all the same. However, to save money Ford did use steel wheels for the inside rear tires instead of the polished aluminum wheels. The front wheels and rear outside wheels do have different part numbers for some aesthetic differences.

I carry a spare and I bought the same Conti tire and a steel rim. If I have a flat, I don't care what the rim looks like.... I just want to get going. I made sure the rim fit on the front before having the tire mounted.... and it fit just fine.

What are your cold air pressures all the way around? Have you weighed the coach to determine which pressures you should be running? I have attached the Continental recommended pressure based on weights for you.

If you are overweight, that can cause some wear issues. Thor built the Omni / Magnitudes right up against the weight limits for the F-550. The models with the F-600 have more wiggle room.

Now from your rear wheel perspective.... do you use a TPMS? You will find that as the tires heat up, the inner tires begin to run hotter than the outer tires from brake heat, exhaust heat, etc. I use the Crossfire Dually Pressure Equalization system to keep the rear tire pressures and tread on the pavement as equal as possible.
Thank Judge for the thorough reply. I value your opinion greatly and follow many of your threads. A little more background. I purchased this RV about a year ago and before taking possession had the RV dealership get it aligned. It had the steering wheel uncentered issue, but I do not believe I got a print out of the alignment specs then. When I took delivery steering wheel was centered and continues to be. This time I took it to a very reputable commercial truck center here that works on fleets from light duty commercial trucks all the way up to the semis. Not that any of this validates their skills or the tech that did the work, but this was not some shop that was in over their heads. Cold air pressure I run currently is 105 PSI on the rears and 95 PSI in the front, but have not gotten the weight taken yet. I carry a full water tank and recently towed my 7500# toy hauler which is when Increased the pressure on the rears from 95 PSI to 105 PSI. I am running a TPMS and I do notice that the inner tires will run higher PSI than the outer and even temps show a little higher although I am not sure how accurate the TPMS is at determining temps.

Thanks for including the tire pressure guide. I will take a look at that and also the equalizer setup which I already had on my list after seeing your thread about that. I have an appointment to take her in to get warranty work done at Ford. I'll get another alignment check there to confirm, but I really have a hard time believing the place I took it would have botched the alignment given they work exclusively on commercial trucks.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #14

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohoda View Post
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this type of wear. I am the 2nd owner and have put 3-4K miles on this 2022 BH35 with a grand total of just north of 10K miles on the clock. I believe the tires are the original factory Continental tires. This is the first time I have owned a larger commercial truck chassis vehicle so I am not sure what to expect. Noticed the front tires were chipping and scuffing on the tread. This followed 2 events where I had to do a full panic stop from 45-50 mph which activated the anti lock and had some tire chirping up front. I took it in recently to have it checked as the fronts are wearing a bit more on that outside than inside of the tread. Alignment is good and they basically told me this is normal and the Conti's I have are among the best tires in this size for this rig. What is more puzzling to me is the rears have the same type of wear on the inside like the fronts. I supposed it is possible the previous owner had the tires rotated, but I kinda doubt it since it would involve dismounting/mounting tires on different rims which is not inexpensive to do. Would love to hear what others have experienced. I know there many on here with more miles that I have.
Alignment spec sheet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alignment specs.png
Views:	68
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	36859  
Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #15

THOR #12751
I've attached the specs for my alignment check so you can compare your coach to mine. I'm not an expert but from what I have read you want the caster to be around +5 on these Super C's but that would not impact your outside tread wear. If your steering wheel stability is ok and it returns to center, then the caster should be fine.

Here is what I am running for pressures fully loaded...... fuel, water, propane, gear, diesel and empty waste tanks:

I'm going to bet that the 95PSI on the front tires is too high for your coach. My coach weighs about 6680lbs in the front.... and that is with heavy duty cow-catcher bumper. I don't have access to my coach but I believe I am running about 85 in the front per Continental's recommended pressure vs weight.

My rear weighs about 13780 and I am running about 100 in the rears.

Before anybody starts having a fit..... yes.... fully loaded I am 960lbs over the GVWR but I'm not worried. The F550 components can handle it. I also rarely.... if ever..... roll with a full water tank or full propane and once I am rolling and burning diesel the weight is dropping.

Its just a shame that Thor didn't start out building all their Super C's on the F-600.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 2.21.38 PM.png
Views:	35
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	36860  
Old 04-07-2022, 08:07 PM   #16

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I've attached the specs for my alignment check so you can compare your coach to mine. I'm not an expert but from what I have read you want the caster to be around +5 on these Super C's but that would not impact your outside tread wear. If your steering wheel stability is ok and it returns to center, then the caster should be fine.

Here is what I am running for pressures fully loaded...... fuel, water, propane, gear, diesel and empty waste tanks:

I'm going to bet that the 95PSI on the front tires is too high. My coach weighs about 6680lbs in the front.... and that is with heavy duty cow-catcher bumper. I don't have access to my coach but I believe I am running about 85 in the front.

My rear weighs about 13780 and I am running about 100 in the rears.

Before anybody starts having a fit..... yes.... fully loaded I am 960lbs over the GVWR but I am not worried. The F550 components can handle it. I also rarely.... if ever..... roll with a full water tank or full propane and once I am rolling and burning diesel the weight is dropping.
I am going to get mine weighed also and drop those pressures accordingly. Since I have only put 2-3K of the total miles on this and assuming these are the original tires I have to think most of the wear came from the driver from Wakarusa to the West Coast and the previous owner.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #17

Model: 34E Hurricane
THOR #25490
Ok, a couple of things here:
-Tire lug tear is caused by road condition (in my industy mosty caused by curb hooping). The tear I see is lug tear from nasty road surface damaging tire)
-I also see outside tire wear which is steering wear. Normal as tires get some miles on them. Check your tire date codes and see when these were produced.
-Rear tire wear should be pretty much the same for both tires in teh pair. But any cupping wear is either balance and / or shocks. Generally dual tires are not balance when replaced by tire shop (some do, some don't since each tire counters it's partner). But, since you do not knwo the history, I would not worry about teh rears
-If the date codes show that your tires need changing, then do so. The tires can look great but be past their "safe" life. And, when buying new tires, make sure that teh dealer is not selling you "old" new tires. I had to order mine directly form Goodyear and have them sent to installer since the local shop could not get me 6 fresh tires.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #18

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Ok, a couple of things here:
-Tire lug tear is caused by road condition (in my industy mosty caused by curb hooping). The tear I see is lug tear from nasty road surface damaging tire)
-I also see outside tire wear which is steering wear. Normal as tires get some miles on them. Check your tire date codes and see when these were produced.
-Rear tire wear should be pretty much the same for both tires in teh pair. But any cupping wear is either balance and / or shocks. Generally dual tires are not balance when replaced by tire shop (some do, some don't since each tire counters it's partner). But, since you do not knwo the history, I would not worry about teh rears
-If the date codes show that your tires need changing, then do so. The tires can look great but be past their "safe" life. And, when buying new tires, make sure that teh dealer is not selling you "old" new tires. I had to order mine directly form Goodyear and have them sent to installer since the local shop could not get me 6 fresh tires.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply Sappy. If I am looking at the tires correctly I believe these were manufactured in the 13th week of 2018 base on the DOT code. Attached to confirm. I think that tells me these are the original tires based on a 2019 build year on a 2020 model. That puts these at 4 years old and probably time to change them?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220408_071613.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	36866  
Old 04-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #19

Model: 34E Hurricane
THOR #25490
Well, maybe. The build year is correct. Typically, 6 years is when you should really start thinking about it, but at the 10 year mark, it is imperative. Yours are showing signd of wear and some minor damage (lug tear). It depends on how you drive and how far. I go long distances with a dolly. When we got the new used Thor last fall (2015 34E), I swapped all the tires "just because". The tires only had 20K on them and looked great. But, to me, it is not worth (my opinion) the aggravation and safety concerns related to tires. If a tire fails because of age or damage, and murphy is along for the ride, the outcome is not so good - if you know what I mean. Some may disagree with this post, but I cruise better knowing I have good tires.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:01 PM   #20

THOR #23156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Well, maybe. The build year is correct. Typically, 6 years is when you should really start thinking about it, but at the 10 year mark, it is imperative. Yours are showing signd of wear and some minor damage (lug tear). It depends on how you drive and how far. I go long distances with a dolly. When we got the new used Thor last fall (2015 34E), I swapped all the tires "just because". The tires only had 20K on them and looked great. But, to me, it is not worth (my opinion) the aggravation and safety concerns related to tires. If a tire fails because of age or damage, and murphy is along for the ride, the outcome is not so good - if you know what I mean. Some may disagree with this post, but I cruise better knowing I have good tires.
Thanks. I definitely value your opinion on this and will take that into consideration. We mostly do shorter trips, but this summer it will be ~3000K miles over a period of 3-4 weeks. So definitely something to consider. I mostly pull my flat tow SUV that is ~7500# curb weight so not really ever going over 60-65 mph.