Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Thanks, That was my first option, the dolly. My concern is the weight to move it after the car is off it. The car will have a hitch so not a real issue I would guess. My other was where to stow the dolly after disconnected. My thought here was to back it into the sites first, back the rig in and then reconnect it to the RV. Then when I am ready to move on just pull forward and drive onto the dolly???

I have seen prices from $1200 to 2500 for a new dolly. Some can be put in a stand up position

Any suggestions

Old 05-18-2021, 11:58 PM   #22

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi quantum

I just sent you a private message regarding my tow dolly.

Paul
Old 05-19-2021, 12:15 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Thanks for the tip on the downshift when breaking. Never would have known that.

One additional question if you don't mind. My sonic is less that 3k lbs and I am not sure if the tow is using just the hitch ball, like I would with my boat. Or is there additional sway bars to connect to the bumper of the RV. Most states do not require a braking system on the towed vehicle, from what I have read, if under 3000lbs.

Thanks Ed
The transmission will downshift for you when using the tow/haul feature. At least the one on my newer Hurricane does.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

One additional question if you don't mind. My sonic is less that 3k lbs and I am not sure if the tow is using just the hitch ball, like I would with my boat. Or is there additional sway bars to connect to the bumper of the RV. Most states do not require a braking system on the towed vehicle, from what I have read, if under 3000lbs.

Thanks Ed
No sway bars on any toad; just the hitch ball and safety chains/cables.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:13 AM   #25

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
THOR #19344
Check your vehicles owners manual to see if and how it can be towed.

If it can be flat towed there are many options ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. For some reason people on forums only like to give the high dollar advice.

Any tow bar works. All are just as safe as any other as long as they are rated for the weight of the tow. Spending more on a Blue OX or other higher end tow bar does nothing for safety, just makes it easier to connect and disconnect.

As for brakes, no state requires brakes on a TOAD. A TOAD is not a trailer. However, brakes can add a margin of safety when you are towing. Especially if you are like most people that tow too fast and follow to close to the vehicle in front of them.

It really all depends on how much money you want to spend and how convenient you want things to be.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #26

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
A tow dolly will use your ball hitch. My tow bar goes in the RV receiver and stays on the RV after it's disconnected from the toad.

Quote:

One additional question if you don't mind. My sonic is less that 3k lbs and I am not sure if the tow is using just the hitch ball, like I would with my boat. Or is there additional sway bars to connect to the bumper of the RV. Most states do not require a braking system on the towed vehicle, from what I have read, if under 3000lbs.it

Thanks Ed
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #27

THOR #21704
Thanks.

Any recommendations on where to get the flat tow equipment you speak of. My car is small and under 3000lbs. Worth looking into
Old 05-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We went in a different direction with ours...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1621427027
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904201001a_resized.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	30645  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks.

Any recommendations on where to get the flat tow equipment you speak of. My car is small and under 3000lbs. Worth looking into
I purchased all my equipment from Amazon.

Etrailer is another option.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #30

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
I was flat towing a Jeep Cherokee and switched to a Jeep Wrangler. Cost $1300 for installation of a Blue Ox base plate. 28 foot Class C Ford E450. Don't even realize it is back there.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #31

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Plenty of tow dolly’s now in the classified
The reason for selling???

Got new car & are now going to flat tow 4 down
Old 05-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #32

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
I was flat towing a Jeep Cherokee and switched to a Jeep Wrangler. Cost $1300 for installation of a Blue Ox base plate. 28 foot Class C Ford E450. Don't even realize it is back there.

I'm always surprised when people say they don't realize it's back there. I tow a 2012 CR-V, which is lighter than a Jeep Wrangler, and I definitely notice the extra weight, especially in the hills.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
I've towed thousands of miles with a Class C - 28 footer - both dolly and four down. My impression is that a dolly behaves better. With four down the towed vehicle gives a bit of wag the dog, if you will, where you make a correction on the road and the towed tends to resist/wants to keep going and "pulls" a bit. On the other hand the ability of the front wheels to react to steering changes makes it easier doing tight corners with the four down. A dolly is more like a trailer in that you drag it.

As for performance, I think you will be surprised how easily the V10 pulls the extra load. Mileage is minimally affected unless it is stop and go.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #34

THOR #12004
Towing a toad

I purchased a Master Tow Dolly to tow my car on the back of my 2017 Thor Vegas. My wife and I traveled from Florida cross country and down and back.
I Put over 13,000 miles on my RV and close to 3,700 miles on my car. The trailer has Electric breaks and the only item I had to purchase was a brake controller for the motorhome. My car is a front wheel drive Ford Fusion 2018. Front wheel drive. Trailer towed like it wasn't even there. Even my wife would drive the interstates getting off and on in rest areas. I did not want to put miles on my front end where there are struts, etc. The Tow dolly was the best for me and takes about 10 minutes to drive it up and hook it up.
Hope that helps some
Tom
Old 05-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: South Carolina
THOR #3582
we have a 2016 31W and flat tow a Smart Car for the past four + years without a problem. We have been around the US a few times with it and up and down most mountains out West. The problem I see with a trailer is after you stop where do you put it and getting it on and off the tow trailer in the rain is one messy problem, plus it is just more weight to tow along.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #36

THOR #21704
Thanks,

I found a Premier Dolly for $1500 including shipping with all ties. Does not fold but has 14" wheels and a 4900 lb rating with surge brakes. Far better price than the 3500 to $4500 I was seeing with the stehl . But I just did see a sthel on marketplace, new unused by private sale to !900.

Question?? Do you also wire the car brake lights with the dolly lights or is it legal to use just the dolly lights? Just was a though I did not consider before.

Thanks

My car is only 2900 so I question if I need a brake system.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #37

THOR #12004
Trailer at Campsite

If you get a dolly, it is almost impossible to back it up, reason 2 rear wheels on the car plus two wheels on the dolly. Unless I get a pull thru site. I off load the car at the check in point and my wife follows in the car to the site. I drive past the site and unhook the dolly and push it manually into the rear of the site or on the side of the site. Then back in the motorhome.
Tom
Old 05-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #38

THOR #21704
Yup, as I thought. In any back in that would be the drill. If in a drive through as you stated is a much less panful deal. Either way when leaving the dolly needs to be reconnected and the car tied down. A definite added break down step and set up step
Old 05-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #39

Model: Windsport 32R
State: New York
THOR #375
4-down vs dolly

I recently sold our "02 Thor Windsport 32R but kept the "05 Suzuki Grand Vitara that we towed, 4-down, for over 100,000 miles through all the lower 48 states. I kept it because I'm expecting to get another MH but know it would be hard to find another toad to match it. My comment is not so much about how easy it was/is to hookup, tow or unhook but more relating to 4-down vs dolly towing. Think about those times you have to back the MH into some place, like at a NP that doesn't have pull-troughs. With a 4-down it's simply unplug the umbilical cord, pull 2 pins on the tow bars, put the car in gear and GO. With a dolly it's much more complicated plus you have to manhandle the dolly itself.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #40

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi quantum

I just sent you a private message regarding the brake/turn signal light issue with a tow dolly. The car I tow is around 4400 lbs on my tow dolly.

Paul