Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #61
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley97 View Post
So what your saying is

1. You say cars are not designed to be towed. If the owners manual states it can be 4 wheels down towed then it was designed to be towed. IMHO.

Yes. Cars were designed to be driven, not towed. They can be towed with modifications (tow bar) or trailers.

2. What the heck is the difference what it's called. If it weighs more than the vehicle doing the towing can safely stop the towed vehicle, trailer or whatever. I knowy Class C is not smart enough to know what it's actually towing. It just knows it's heavy.

If you have any experience reading and interpreting laws you would know that definitions and words are very important. What it's called makes the difference as to whether something is legal or illegal.
If you are towing within the max tow weight of your tow rig you will be able to brake within the governments legal limits.

An auxiliary braking system just adds an extra margin of safety, which is a good thing.
And that is the requirement to have brakes on the towed vehicle if it can not be stopped within the State's braking performance requirements.

Use Florida as an example:
Trailers under 3000 # are not required to have brakes, BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Statute 316.261
BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.—Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
(a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds, provided that:
1. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and
2. The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262.
And from 316.262:

So even if your towed vehicle, trailer or whatever is under 3000 # you are still required to meet the braking performance requirements above.

Many States, including California (I believe) have similar braking requirements for all vehicles and combination of vehicles.

So to say a towed car does NOT require brakes is not a true statement.

You also need to look at the break-away section of the statutes - you can't have break-away brakes without having towed brakes.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #62

Model: 24HE Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #19344
If you are towing within your RVs tow limits it will stop within the braking distance required by law. That's one of the factors used to determine the max tow and max load in vehicles. Those distances are more for manufacturer's than consumers.

A towed vehicle does not need brakes is an very accurate statement.

As for brakes on all wheels, that doesn't include a towed vehicle. Read the entire section. Here's section c of what you posted

 Any vehicle being towed in driveaway or towaway operations, provided the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262

The breakaway safety includes the safety chains or cable on your tow bar. Those are required for towed vehicles and states have laws stating that along with brake lights. They do NOT have any law requiring auxiliary brakes on a towed vehicle.

As for CA please refer to the link I posted earlier with the CHP email confirming this. There are other posts floating around with similar letters and emails from various states.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #63

Model: FreedomElite 24FE
State: Colorado
THOR #17183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I tow a 2012 CR-V. The towing setup cost a little over $2000. I did the install myself. About half of the cost was the braking system. It should be similar for your Sonic. Here were the costs.

Blue Ox BX2258 baseplate $360

Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha Tow Bar $543

Blue Ox BX8875 Tow Bar Cover $37

Blue Ox BX88206 7 to 6 pin cable $77

Blue Ox BRK2016 Patriot II Brake System $1091

Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Kit $53

Hopkins 39332 Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer $24
Jabrabu,

So you’re using the Blue Ox Patriot system with an accelerometer to actuate the toad brakes. Are you happy with that? Did you look at something like Invisibrake? What are your thoughts on that one? Also, can you tell me more about the towed vehicle battery maintainer? That is one of my concerns about using a system like Blue Ox that plugs into the 12v of the toad.

Thanks,
Old 06-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #64

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
2001 Jeep Wrangler manual transmission
Blue Ox base plate... $410 Etrailer
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar... $300 new Craigslist
Invisibrake... $840 Amazon
Roadmaster tail light kit (wiring, diodes, etc.)... $130 Amazon
Towed vehicle 7 pin socket... $13.00 Etrailer
Roadmaster brake light relay kit... $33 Amazon

All self installed. The motorhome charges the toad battery when connected via the 7 pin connector. Not listed: I installed a disconnect toggle switch on the firewall of the Jeep to cut power to the Invisibrake when not towing.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #65

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTurik View Post
Jabrabu,

So you’re using the Blue Ox Patriot system with an accelerometer to actuate the toad brakes. Are you happy with that? Did you look at something like Invisibrake? What are your thoughts on that one? Also, can you tell me more about the towed vehicle battery maintainer? That is one of my concerns about using a system like Blue Ox that plugs into the 12v of the toad.

Thanks,

The Patriot system works fine. The disadvantage is that you have to install & remove it each time you tow. It just takes a minute, though. The Invisibrake might be the more elegant solution, but initial installation is a lot more involved.

I installed the Hopkins battery maintainer. The CR-V towing instructions say to pull a fuse to keep from draining the battery. Some folks install a switch in the fuse circuit instead. But the maintainer keeps the battery charged while towing so I don't have to do any of that.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-39332...s%2C159&sr=8-3
Old 06-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #66

State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Quantum

There seems to be confusion as to the information and answers I have been seen posted. I did state the state lists that require braking systems for information purposes only and not as an option not to use one.

I was asking about towing with all 4 down, from those with experience and options for systems they felt were bet experience for them, however there seems to be answers that are not mine in this thread? I am a bit confuses so please note I never stated anything about using the charger or saying a tow brake system is not needed. I believe it is a safety issue, a wear on the RV braking system and in all circumstances, should use one.

I also have the Blue ox tow system, not yet installed. I was also asking for those with experience with a lighter weight vehicle their experience and options for braking systems I have now been considering a proportional vacuum braking system vs a RVi 2 or 3 due to the small nature of the system and the use of a compressor rather than electric.

My answers in some of the thread appear as my answers, they are not. I welcome all suggestions related to the most economical and effective system that is either hidden or easy to set up. I will only be towing a car for vacationing but do intend to keep the toad for many years if the ground clearance while in tow will not cause a bottoming out. The sonic does sit low to the ground as does my Thor ws31.

Thank all for your information you are sending.

Ed