Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Toad from experienced Class C toaders

I have been Rving for some time now but never have pulled a car.

My RV is a 2016 Thor Quantum 31ws -- with the 10cyl Triton

I have a Chevy Sonic front wheel drive I feel would be just right for for my extended trips. I usually rent a week here and there. Was cheap and simpler to rent.

Now with High rental cars costs looking for experienced advice. Also planning a trip West from MA north and south loop and in between

Flat tow or Dolly ?? Handling issues for each

I need to check with Chevy Techs to see if I can even tow an automatic? If not my question all relates to the Dolly

My big question is how the car behaves on a dolly verses a flat tow.

I'm not experienced with a toad but your shared experiences would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

Ed

Old 05-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Search the forum. Tons of info already posted and it is not yet out dated.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
can't tell you about the Sonic. I dolly tow a Focus and don't even know its back there

Dolly tow is a lot less expensive to set up, especially if you plan to exchange the toad some day
Old 05-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #4

THOR #21704
Sonic in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
can't tell you about the Sonic. I dolly tow a Focus and don't even know its back there

Dolly tow is a lot less expensive to set up, especially if you plan to exchange the toad some day
As I thought it may be. My trailer sometimes will be swayed with the passing of a truck but only has one axel with 2 wheels.

The dolly would provide the two axels and 4 wheels rolling ..

That was my home the the extra dolly axel would create more stability.

Thanks for feedback
Old 05-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You didn't say which Sonic model you have but most are flat towable with the automatic transmission - actually one of the simplest to flat tow and well within the capability of your class C. I don't know if anyone keeps statistics on towing but I would say over 75% of RVs that start with a dolly change to flat towing due to the PITA associated with using a dolly so I recommend skipping that step.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #6

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You didn't say which Sonic model you have but most are flat towable with the automatic transmission - actually one of the simplest to flat tow and well within the capability of your class C. I don't know if anyone keeps statistics on towing but I would say over 75% of RVs that start with a dolly change to flat towing due to the PITA associated with using a dolly so I recommend skipping that step.

Thanks for the info, I did reply to the email I received and wanted to follow up her for another question on the costs of the flat tow!! I have seen prices from 1800 to $4500 and again have no clue on the best set up. I do not want a dangerous set up nor do I need a top of the line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I tow a 2012 CR-V. The towing setup cost a little over $2000. I did the install myself. About half of the cost was the braking system. It should be similar for your Sonic. Here were the costs.

Blue Ox BX2258 baseplate $360

Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha Tow Bar $543

Blue Ox BX8875 Tow Bar Cover $37

Blue Ox BX88206 7 to 6 pin cable $77

Blue Ox BRK2016 Patriot II Brake System $1091

Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Socket Tail Light Kit $53

Hopkins 39332 Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer $24
Old 05-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Thanks for the info, I did reply to the email I received and wanted to follow up her for another question on the costs of the flat tow!! I have seen prices from 1800 to $4500 and again have no clue on the best set up. I do not want a dangerous set up nor do I need a top of the line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
On my Sonic I use a:

Reese Towpower 7014200 Adjustable 5000 lb Tow Bar - $83
(2) CURT 80151 44-1/2-Inch Vinyl-Coated Trailer Safety Cables, 7/16-In Snap Hooks, 5,000 lbs Break Strength, 2-Pack - $38
Roadmaster (523173-4) Towbar Bracket Kit (Baseplate) - $350
Roadmaster 155 Taillight Wiring Kit (Second set of bulbs in the housings) - $56

At 2700 lbs I towed for years with no brake setup in flat parts of the country with my ACE. When we setup my Wife's Colorado for flat towing we got the:

Blue Ox BRK2019 Patriot 3 Brake System - $1225
Second Break-Away Cable System - $77

and also use it on the Sonic - it barely actuates.

So total for the Sonic including the braking system was $1752.
I did all the installs myself so no labor out of pocket.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I am one of the 75% who started with a dolly and when it was time to replace my dolly car, I purchased a bonafide Toad for ez 4 down towing.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We went from dolly to rentals to flat. Dolly was not a PITA as others suggest and depending on the car I want to drive at the time I would consider going back to the dolly towing scenario.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
https://www.motorhome.com/top-storie...inghy-vehicle/
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Yech! If I wanted a pickup truck, I'd be pulling a fifth wheel!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #13

THOR #21704
Thanks for the information.

My sonic has a weight of under 2900 lbs soaking wet.

I am not sure if a brake system is required for a vehicle towed under 3000lbs. Any idea on that subject. I have the Class c Quantum 31ft

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #14

THOR #21704
Thanks,

How did the sonic tow, was there much sway when trucks passed?

2 additional questions? when flat towing the sonic I read that a fuse had to be removed, the engine run before towing to lube the trani gears and only go for a couple to 3 hours before restarting the engine again. Also did the odometer add miles on?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I flat towed a CR-V for the entire 15 years I had my last Class C. I never knew it was back there. It had no noticeable effect on my acceleration or braking. Passing trucks did not sway it either. The coach was a 2002 Fleetwood without tow/haul mode. I imagine with the newer engine transmission combo of the later generation coaches you'll have no problem.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Thanks,

How did the sonic tow, was there much sway when trucks passed?

2 additional questions? when flat towing the sonic I read that a fuse had to be removed, the engine run before towing to lube the trani gears and only go for a couple to 3 hours before restarting the engine again. Also did the odometer add miles on?

Thanks
A Toad reduces truck passing induced sway.

The procedure from the Owners Manual has you remove the DLIS fuse (#22 I believe) to prevent battery draining while being towed. This causes the Body Control Module to remove accessory power after about 10 minutes even if the key is in the ACC position which is where the Owners Manual leaves you by procedure.

In reality, you can remove that fuse and stick it in the glove compartment for as long as you own the car if you like. Removing the DLIS fuse also defeats the PARK interlock to remove the key. So I leave my transmission in Neutral, turn the key off and remove it, and lock the car while towing as the Sonic has no steering wheel lock.

The requirement to run the car to lube the transmission is daily before towing and every 6 hours or gas up break, whichever occurs first.

Miles do NOT accumulate on towed vehicles with digital odometers IF you follow the prescribed procedure.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #17

THOR #21704
I have the 2016 and I do have the tow function.

V10 triton

So I am not mistaken are you speaking of all 4 on the ground, flat tow or a Dolly.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:55 PM   #18

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
Look in your owner's manual under recreational towing or something like that. It should tell you yes or no for 4-down or dolly.

My 2020 Equinox is a breeze to tow with our E450 chassis with the V10 Triton. No sway. This is our first trip where I remembered to use the tow setting and I discovered it downshift as you brake to assist with stopping.

Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate, Demco Stay n Play Duo permanent brake system.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #19

THOR #21704
Thanks for the tip on the downshift when breaking. Never would have known that.

One additional question if you don't mind. My sonic is less that 3k lbs and I am not sure if the tow is using just the hitch ball, like I would with my boat. Or is there additional sway bars to connect to the bumper of the RV. Most states do not require a braking system on the towed vehicle, from what I have read, if under 3000lbs.

Thanks Ed
Old 05-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I just bought a brand new tow dolly and will towing our 2014 Ford Flex with it. I have only done a couple of practice runs so far. It is true that flat towing is quicker to set up once everything has been installed. The trade off is the expense and if your toad is something you plan on keeping for a while since it too has to be set up for flat towing. My Ford Flex can be flat towed but with the cost at this time it made more sense to me to go with the tow dolly. My tow dolly has surge disc brakes and rear lights for safety. It does take more time each time to get the car on the dolly and secured but with practice that should become easier each time I use it.

Paul