Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Tour the New 2023 Winnebago EKKO

All,

I was able to make a quick video of the 2023 EKKO ... Tell me what you think.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
That Winnie Ekko is quite an RV. Let me compare it to my 2021 Thor Axis 24.1 which has similar capabilities:

Chassis: The Ekko is built on Ford's 3.5 liter Transit chassis and has a GVWR of 11,000 lbs. My Axis is built on Ford's 7.3 liter V8 E350 chassis and has a GVWR of 12,500 lbs. The Axis is a much heavier chassis, but I suspect the EKKO will drive nicer. As an old school nothing beats cubic inches guy, I am a little concerned about 3.5 liters powering such a chassis on the EKKO. Time will tell how it holds up.

The Axis is 2' longer and probably wider and has a longer wheelbase than the EKKO. But the EKKO sure fits a lot into that smaller footprint.

Exterior Storage- The EKKO does a great job of squeezing basement storage into that chassis and looks like it has about the same cu ft as the Axis.

Windows: The EKKO appears to have the much superior Seitz douple pane windows that tilt out to as much as 90 degrees. The Axis has very limited opening single pane windows.

Driving position. The EKKO is basically a Class C whereas the Axis is a Class A. The Class A gives much more room in the driver's area than the C.

Side by Side Seats vs a Medium Size Couch- The Axis wins this one hands down as their 60" couch is much nicer to hang out on. But if you travel with kids you will appreciate the forward-facing seats with the belts of the EKKO.

Kitchen- About the same on both.

Fridge- Looks to be considerably larger than the Axis but that may be because mine is an absorption fridge. The days of a new coach having an absorption fridge are about gone.

Bath- The EKKO has an ingenious sliding panel that opens up the shower. The Axis has a rather ingenious door system that provides more bathroom space. A toss up.

Toilet- Even though I have come to grips with a cassette toilet, with 51 gallons of grey water storage, I wonder why Winnie couldn't have figured out how to split the gray tank 70/30 and have a 15 gallon black water tank. Layout considerations probably. The 5-gallon capacity of the EKKO's cassette may be limiting for some.

Bedroom- EKKO wins hands down with its hydraulic strut bed supports, steps, reading lights, etc.

Interior Storage- They both seem to be about the same here.

Lights and Controls- Since I am not a fan of the Axis' BMPro that handles these, I have to like the EKKO better.

USB Ports and Outlets- The EKKO has these EVERYWHERE.

And finally, I bet the EKKO costs $75,000 more than the Axis, so work that into your value proposition when comparing the two.

David
Old 10-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

....cut....

The Axis is 2' longer and probably wider and has a longer wheelbase than the EKKO. But the EKKO sure fits a lot into that smaller footprint.

Exterior Storage- The EKKO does a great job of squeezing basement storage into that chassis and looks like it has about the same cu ft as the Axis.

.....cut....

Side by Side Seats vs a Medium Size Couch- The Axis wins this one hands down as their 60" couch is much nicer to hang out on. But if you travel with kids you will appreciate the forward-facing seats with the belts of the EKKO.

.....cut....

And finally, I bet the EKKO costs $75,000 more than the Axis, so work that into your value proposition when comparing the two.

David
Great detailed comparison.

Regarding size, the EKKO may only be a little more than 2 feet shorter, but with only 156-inch wheelbase, and much narrower width, I expect it can be parked much easier in many more places. By backing into standard parking spots where rear overhang can go over a curb, it can probably be parked at many restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I do that with my extended E-350 van, and it is essentially necessary when using my large hitch cargo tray which extends overall length to nearly that of EKKO.

As to outside storage, that’s the biggest bonus I see for EKKO. Both units may have same overall volume, but that doesn’t paint total picture. The large garage can haul a couple of bikes, and maybe a small tandem, where an AXIS can’t.

Regarding seats, EKKO forward facing are far safer, and look more comfortable for travel. However, both units miss the mark by placing seats at different elevations. That is a huge design compromise in my opinion.

Finally, MSRP for AXIS 24.1 has increased so much that price difference should be less than $75K; though it is possible that AXIS may be discounted more.

There are other major differences worth noting. EKKO has no slides (a huge plus for me) but resulting smaller space limits sleeping capacity unless it has pop-up roof/bed. Basically, EKKO is a much smaller motorhome.

Another difference is in electrical capabilities and flexibility. The standard EKKO comes with an Onan 2,800 Watt inverter generator, and also much greater solar, lithium battery and inverter capacity. I thought about how nice a large inverter would be as I hesitated starting my portable inverter generator this morning due to noise. Electrical is all EKKO over AXIS in my opinion, but then you pay for it.

In my opinion Thor should have built an AXIS floorplan similar to EKKO years ago.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:46 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Toilet- Even though I have come to grips with a cassette toilet, with 51 gallons of grey water storage, I wonder why Winnie couldn't have figured out how to split the gray tank 70/30 and have a 15 gallon black water tank. Layout considerations probably. The 5-gallon capacity of the EKKO's cassette may be limiting for some.

I have never understood why there are separate black and grey tanks in the first place. Why not just drain everything into a single tank? It’d be cheaper to build, easier to dump and it all goes to the same place anyway.