Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
State: Florida
THOR #6288
Check this technical tip by googling for:

Technical Training Tip of the Month Ford Transmission Control Switches Overdrive Cancel and Tow/Haul Mode

Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here is a good read on Tow/Haul

Tech Tip - August 06.pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
When in hills towing or not I do the same as I was taught when learning to drIve; downshift to keep from overheating your brakes and running away. Still do it, works fine for me. Going uphill I'm not concerned with maintaining a certain speed and dont mind slowing down and staying between 3 and 4000rpm. Seems much easier to me. Maybe I'm misusing my equipment but it has never caused a problem. Tried the tow/haul a few times, didn't like it.

EDIT: I just read the Technical Training Tip of the Month posted by HighMobious. Ok, maybe I'm an old fart stuck in my ways but, with doubts, I am going to try this out as we tow our car more often than not.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I highly recommend you talk to a service tech or qualified mechanic about tow/haul mode. I know for a fact that at least a few of the responses to this question are simply incorrect in how/why the transmission works the way it does.
As for me personally if I'm towing/hauling I use tow/haul, if not I don't. For many downgrades I set my cruise and let the engine do it's work.

I totally agree.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Here is a good read on Tow/Haul

Attachment 5801
So is he saying that you will get lower MPGs but should hit OD/Off or Tow/Haul after every start anyway?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
So is he saying that you will get lower MPGs but should hit OD/Off or Tow/Haul after every start anyway?
No, he's saying buy their DuraTrans and BrakeMax systems
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It reads to me that it is an issue of economy vs performance and you have to decide what is best under the conditions.

I posted the article because of the explanation on how tow/haul works.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #28

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Thanks for the link! I read my owners manual today and it basically suggest the same as has been recommended in this thread
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
No, he's saying buy their DuraTrans and BrakeMax systems
It sounds to me like he's saying that's an option to having to do it manually each time you start out, but doesn't contradict the previously-made lower fuel economy statement.

I believe some of the points made regarding torque converter lockup also don't apply to newer 6R140 6-speed transmission.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the intention of having overdrive gears is to improve fuel mileage. To get that improved fuel mileage you need to get into that overdrive gear as soon as possible, and stay there as long as possible. As a general rule, automatic transmission electronic strategy is to get you into the highest gear possible, and lock up the torque converter as soon as possible for a given engine load. EPA test methods for fuel mileage testing and ranking of OEM vehicles does not currently allow for the pushing of a button during the test to “allow” overdrive. The test must be done by dropping the shifter into drive and off they go. If the vehicle started with OD off / OD cancel / Tow/Haul engaged, EPA fuel mileage ratings would suffer.

You can take advantage of the benefits of the transmission control strategies associated with the transmission control switch by remembering to hit the button or switch every time you start your vehicle...or...you can contact InterMotive about our DuraTrans and BrakeMax systems that perform that function, and more, for you.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There are two solid advantages for tow mode: one, it holds each gear longer on acceleration and if you are in the mountains or "heavy" as most RVs are this can be quite convenient at times to minimize the number of times the transmission has to shift and; two it puts the transmission in a mode to downshift each time you tap the brake. It does not, in itself, cause a downshift or overdrive lockout, it just makes it super easy to select a lower gear for engine braking when in mountainous country. Just try it a few times and see if you like the results. I'm quite sure lots of folks never use the feature and may even not know it's there- and they get along fine without it!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There are two solid advantages for tow mode: one, it holds each gear longer on acceleration and if you are in the mountains or "heavy" as most RVs are this can be quite convenient at times to minimize the number of times the transmission has to shift and; two it puts the transmission in a mode to downshift each time you tap the brake. It does not, in itself, cause a downshift or overdrive lockout, it just makes it super easy to select a lower gear for engine braking when in mountainous country. Just try it a few times and see if you like the results. I'm quite sure lots of folks never use the feature and may even not know it's there- and they get along fine without it!
Actually, on my 2015 F53 chassis when I get off the Interstate and start braking down the ramp the transmission downshifts early to assist the braking with no action on my part.

Also, while on cruise control, if I go down a long hill and the coach goes 5 mph over the set speed it will downshift to slow it down.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #32

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Let's face it automatic transmission is just a lazy mans method to shifting. However in many cases its much better and consistent in terms of using the right pattern for all of the mentioned reasons. So the question really is are you better than a computer assisted machine. If you are get a stick shift if not ...
Old 01-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #33

State: New Hampshire
THOR #19618
is there a way to turn off TOW/HAUL automatic?

So we have our unit we purchased from Cruise America. It automatically starts in TOW/HAUL mode and you have to switch it off every time. I'm assuming they have this on auto so that it puts less wear on their trans with renters. Is there anyway I can set it to not come on automatically?

Thank you in advance.

Cruise America - Majestic 23A "lemon"
Old 01-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But why would you even want to?
It's designed to reduce wear and tear on the transmission...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #35
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquamLake View Post
So we have our unit we purchased from Cruise America. It automatically starts in TOW/HAUL mode and you have to switch it off every time. I'm assuming they have this on auto so that it puts less wear on their trans with renters. Is there anyway I can set it to not come on automatically?

Thank you in advance.

Cruise America - Majestic 23A "lemon"
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...l-21747-2.html

Post #34 and on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #36

State: West Virginia
THOR #1006
Tow/haul mode

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong when putting mine in tow mode going downhill. Seems I was probably tapping my brake too much because it would scream on downhill runs.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag101 View Post
I was wondering if I was doing something wrong when putting mine in tow mode going downhill. Seems I was probably tapping my brake too much because it would scream on downhill runs.
That is what you're supposed to do. The "screaming" was it working properly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is what you're supposed to do. The "screaming" was it working properly.
That's true...
But you could also try tapping the brakes les frequently; but using them more, when you ARE on them.
You can also shit out of T/H mode, let the things re-set, and then put it back on again...

For the record: I'm also a "tapper"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Ford V-10

There are 9 distinct versions of the Ford V-10 used in front of three different transmissions used in RV over the 21 years for it life. The V-10 was used in 7,000 lb to 30,000 lb RVs. Each post seems to describe one application at one time. Realize the advice for a 1999 Fleetwood Flair 25 is not applicable 2019 Newmar Baystar 3811.
The engine is computer limited to 5,200 rpm. This limit was chosen to limit the wear on the chain drive to the two counter balance shafts, so it could meet its design goal of 200.000 miles expected engine life. In no way is that screaming for any overhead cam gasoline engine; diesel engine yes it is screaming. Besides it is V-10 with 20,000 exhaust pulses @ 4,000 rpm as opposed to a 4 cylinder's 8,000 exhaust pulses @ 4,000 rpm. Quite a different exhaust note.

Coach weight and rear gear ratio greatly effect the transmission shifting pattern be it 4, 5 or 6 speed transmission. There have been four different shifting programs for the Ford 6R140 transmission. So your V-10 many not shift like your neighbors in the same coach.

Remember any gas engine is most efficient at full throttle and at the peak torque rpm. Closing the throttle causes a loss of efficiency due to pumping loss. So low rpm at full throttle at a given speed is best for engine efficiency, but terrible for engine life. The least throttle regardless of engine rpm is best for engine life. Your automatic transmission's job is to find a happy medium between the two and replace a knowledgeable driver with a manual transmission.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 PM   #40
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I pretty much use tow/haul all the time with very few times not.
I believe with a chassis and house weighing roughly 13,000+ lbs, we are hauling all the time.

My first rip out west I was not in tow mode (still in the learning phase) and was tapping the brakes (lightly since I am not a heavy braker) but when I got down to the bottom the brakes had a burning smell. Learned then to keep in Tow/haul and just softly tap the brakes a little at a time to bring it down a gear one at a time.