Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
TV Install in bedroom TV recess

Anybody installed a bracket to mount a 32" TV in the TV recessed area of the bedroom? I've got a 2017 Thor Chateau 26B with a 36" diagonal recess for a TV. Is there a thick chunk of wood behind it to accept screws? If so, what type of screws did you use to make sure it was secure?

Thanks,
dave

Old 06-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post
Anybody installed a bracket to mount a 32" TV in the TV recessed area of the bedroom? I've got a 2017 Thor Chateau 26B with a 36" diagonal recess for a TV. Is there a thick chunk of wood behind it to accept screws? If so, what type of screws did you use to make sure it was secure?

Thanks,
dave
I got a schematic from THOR that shows how to mount the TV in the recessed area in our FW 28A. Ask them.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:

Thanks,
dave
Curious too... I'm pondering moving the over-cab TV from the bunk area to the bedroom. The front location is useless... we use the front bunkover for storage, and have to move everything just to get the TV into a watchable position... which is poor in itself.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

THOR #9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Curious too... I'm pondering moving the over-cab TV from the bunk area to the bedroom. The front location is useless... we use the front bunkover for storage, and have to move everything just to get the TV into a watchable position... which is poor in itself.
The front TV is too big for that space unless you want it sticking out quite a bit. It is only 36" diagonal and I believe the front TV is 40 or 42". It was hollow behind the wall, so I used the metal expanding butterfly anchors to attach the mount to the wall. So far, so good. We'll see on the 6K mile trip starting tomorrow how it does.

Also, tip for everybody. Trust your eyes, not the tools. If installing a TV mount in an unlevel driveway, don't use a level, just use measurements.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #5

THOR #16721
Quote:
The front TV is too big for that space unless you want it sticking out quite a bit. It is only 36" diagonal and I believe the front TV is 40 or 42". It was hollow behind the wall, so I used the metal expanding butterfly anchors to attach the mount to the wall. So far, so good. We'll see on the 6K mile trip starting tomorrow how it does.

Also, tip for everybody. Trust your eyes, not the tools. If installing a TV mount in an unlevel driveway, don't use a level, just use measurements.
Are you saying the back wall in the recess has a hollow void? Is that wall rigid/thick enough to hold the TV weight - without being anchored by screwing directly into wall studs/supports? I'm going to slide a stud finder across that recess wall and see if it finds any "solid" mount points behind there. Did you do that and not find anything?

Before the class C, I had a Grand Design trailer which had a label on the bedroom wall marking the TV mounting point. I wish motorhome manufacturers did this - would make life easier!
Old 07-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #6

THOR #9566
Quote:
Are you saying the back wall in the recess has a hollow void? Is that wall rigid/thick enough to hold the TV weight - without being anchored by screwing directly into wall studs/supports? I'm going to slide a stud finder across that recess wall and see if it finds any "solid" mount points behind there. Did you do that and not find anything?

Before the class C, I had a Grand Design trailer which had a label on the bedroom wall marking the TV mounting point. I wish motorhome manufacturers did this - would make life easier!
I didn't find any studs where I needed to mount it. Behind the paneling recess, there looked to be a thicker piece of wood (3/8") about? So with that I was comfortable not using any studs or cutting a hole in the bathroom wall behind it to reinforce it.

dave
Old 07-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

THOR #16721
The recess in ours is against the outside passenger side wall. The nightmare for me is driving a too long screw clear through to the outside!

No! I'm wrong... the bathroom shower stall is behind the wall! Silly me!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #8

THOR #9566
Quote:
The recess in ours is against the outside passenger side wall. The nightmare for me is driving a too long screw clear through to the outside!

No! I'm wrong... the bathroom shower stall is behind the wall! Silly me!
I called Thor Customer Services and gave them my VIN. The lady on the phone stated that nothing was behind there in my unit. That is where my shower is as well.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #9

THOR #21941
Here is the schematic for our FW28A
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TVMOUNTING.pdf (84.9 KB, 232 views)

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:43 AM   #10

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Here is the schematic for our FW28A
How/where did you go about contacting Thor for getting that schematic? Was there any charge? Did they try to refer you to an "authorized dealer"?

We have a Chateau 24F, and I'd LOVE to get my hands on several schematics... mostly wiring and plumbing. Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2021, 03:47 AM   #11

THOR #21941
Quote:
How/where did you go about contacting Thor for getting that schematic? Was there any charge? Did they try to refer you to an "authorized dealer"?

We have a Chateau 24F, and I'd LOVE to get my hands on several schematics... mostly wiring and plumbing. Thanks!!
Just contact customer service.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
THOR will send you a schematic of the electrical system. It took a few months to figure out the HDMI port next to the bedside is connected to the Bedroom TV. I had camping world looking and no results. I called THOR customer service and asked? Where is the other end of the HDMI cable in the Bedroom TV. We cant find it at the DVD player. "OH, the electrician said it is wired to the HDMI port next to bed!...
Old 07-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
We have the Freedom Elite 28H with recessed area for TV. We bought a 32" TV and installed it with a wall bracket purchased at Walmart. Our 28H was rewired and installation was easy because the bracket came with an easy to follow template.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
We have the Freedom Elite 28H with recessed area for TV. We bought a 32" TV and installed it with a wall bracket purchased at Walmart. Our 28H was rewired and installation was easy because the bracket came with an easy to follow template.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210707_184939426.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	31914

Name:	PXL_20210707_184952453.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	31915
Looks like the TV size Thor specs for the bedroom recess in our Chateau 24F is 32". The outlet & video port is pre-installed (as shown). I ran a stud detector across the wall, and the only substantial area I found seems to be just left of the outlet and video ports. The entire rest of the wall seems to have sparse "thick" wood behind it??

Considering that the panel is only 1/8" thick particleboard, and short of removing the panel for exploration... what did you screw in to that seemed substantial enough to hold the weight of the TV?
Old 07-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #15

THOR #3559
I used 1/2 inch wood screws with a star lock washer to attach the bracket to the wall. On the 28H the opposite wall of the recessed area is the bathroom cabinet. The wood screws did not perforate the wall. This installation was 5 years ago and is still holding.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #16

THOR #16721
The plastic shower stall wall is behind mine. With my luck I'd screw into some pex tubing!

I might pop the shower supply off the shower wall... maybe I can see something behind that wall to mount to.

Thanks for your info!!
Old 07-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Maryland
THOR #18761
Tv install

I have a 2017 28A. I installed a swivel tv bracket on the left stud in side of the recessed area. My this sized to the recess area. I believe it’s a mor ryde bracket which is removable as it came with two mounts so that I can move the tv outside. Under my awning. It’s a swing arm style bracket which works great on my unit.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #18

THOR #3559
Try drilling slowly with a small, 1/16 drill bit to check the depth. Drilling too fast will cause the bit to go right through the shower wall. You should be able to feel whether the structure is solid or hollow.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #19

State: Oklahoma
THOR #17806
We did the bedroom tv thing

I was afraid the wall was way to thin to attach the bracket so I attached a couple of wood strips and mounted the TV mount to the 1x2’s I installed.

Should have stained them first but we were leaving on a trip from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania the next day so I didn’t get that done.

Not sure why the picture is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0AC9A88C-FC9C-49F9-BC92-B0FEA16D3174.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	31930  
Old 07-08-2021, 02:43 AM   #20

THOR #16721