Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
TV replacements?

I'm looking at upgrading all 3 tv's on my SV34 to ones that have google built in. Anyone else swap? Were you able to go to a larger size or are they pretty much as big as you can go ?

Old 05-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
"Google built in"? I've heard of Roku TVs, Fire TVs with Alexa, Samsung, Sharp, Vizio smart TVs with their custom APPS, but not a Google TV. I'll have to Google that.

Find your TV Brand/Model, do your measurements, swap out the TVs. I've gone from 32" to 40" in the living area and 24" (or whatever it was) to 32" in the bedroom. Roku TVs in both cases due to the integrated OTA TV Guide and massive selection of APPs available to install.

Learn something new everyday - there IS such a think as Google TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleTV.png
Views:	27
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	41900  
Old 05-10-2023, 05:09 PM   #3

THOR #20809
I use a central media server I built which currently streams a signal thru a splitter to the 3 tvs. Problem is that it can only send the same signal. If I move the client onto the tv then the server can stream signals to each tv independently. Allowing the kids to watch one stream and me another. I can do this by adding a streaming input device to the current tv's or just upgrade to a newer, better tv with it built in.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:05 PM   #4

THOR #20809
google tv and chrome cast are not the same. Google tv is android for your tv, allowing it to run apps etc. Chromecast simply allows you to stream to your tv from an android enabled device like your phone or chrome browser. You can buy google tv boxes just like you do for roku and amazon. I have a dedicated Plex server in the RV, currently its connected to all 3 tv's via a splitter. If I use a client on a smart TV I can stream 3 different shows at the same time. Yes I know I can run the plex app on a fire stick or roku stick. I'd prefer it built in is all. adhering to the same standard that I keep at home minimizes time spent being tech support for the rest of the family, especially when RV time is so precious to me. For ME this is about convenience rather than $.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #5

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There is no advantage to built in smart over stick smart.
None.
Zero.
Not as support or tech needs or anything other.
Sticks are toss and replace.

Old tv is 780 capable, new stick makes it 1080.
Old t.v. has YouTube disabled due to company squabble, stick does not, or is $12 to $40 upgradeable.

Old tv has no DVR, new stick saves 2t.

Do as you like. This info is for folks who consider options. Buy the platform you currently use. Be open to change. I'm not even sure you can buy a quality non-smart tv....
lol... Duck, you're always good for some salt. I appreciate that in you. 2 things I'd like to point out. 1. Adding a stick does not upgrade the tv. You cant get a 4k image from a 4k stick on a 720p tv. 2. You can always add a stick to any tv with an hdmi port. So buying a tv with "smarts" is as future proof as buying one without but in the mean time its more convenient to ME.

With all due respect, I'd also like to point out that I asked if anyones upgraded their tv's and what fit. This changed into opinions on the value of tvs with built in smarts or attached. Thats fine, fun even but please keep that in mind when correcting me.

Love you man, dont know if you realize it or do it on purpose but you help keep this board the informative and entertaining resource it is. Both you and Judge are folks from here I'd actually like to meet someday
Old 05-11-2023, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
lol... Duck, you're always good for some salt. I appreciate that in you. 2 things I'd like to point out. 1. Adding a stick does not upgrade the tv. You cant get a 4k image from a 4k stick on a 720p tv. 2. You can always add a stick to any tv with an hdmi port. So buying a tv with "smarts" is as future proof as buying one without but in the mean time its more convenient to ME.

With all due respect, I'd also like to point out that I asked if anyones upgraded their tv's and what fit. This changed into opinions on the value of tvs with built in smarts or attached. Thats fine, fun even but please keep that in mind when correcting me.

Love you man, dont know if you realize it or do it on purpose but you help keep this board the informative and entertaining resource it is. Both you and Judge are folks from here I'd actually like to meet someday
Fixed that for you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:36 AM   #7

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Fixed that for you.
why'd you delete everyones posts? we were having a good time! Is it against the rules to go off topic? did anyone complain or get offended? Seriously want to know.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:44 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
why'd you delete everyones posts? we were having a good time! Is it against the rules to go off topic? did anyone complain or get offended? Seriously want to know.
They weren't deleted - they were moved to another thread "Smart TVs in RVs".

And you complained. Look at what ACE quoted in your quote.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:11 AM   #9

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
And you complained. Look at what ACE quoted in your quote.
never complained. read the whole quote, I said it was fun. no matter really. just wanted to know if I'd broken a rule or some such.