Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #28630
Vroom slide upgrade and XG 32 .... necessary?

I have waded through the Schwintec / Vroom slide posts and still have a quick question.

I have a 2020 XG32 and find myself in a situation where I need to make a 17hour trip to Arizona. Should I consider having the Schwintec system on the large slide replace with a Vroom when I am there? I have not had any problem with it in the short time I have owned it, but after reading all the posts I am wondering if I should. Has anyone with an XG 32 had issues with the longer slide? I seems like most of the problems are with the full length slides, which the XG 32 does not have. I am considering adding 400 AH of Lithium batteries under the dinette, which will likely make things worse as far as weight. Any XG32 slide problems out there?????

Thx

Gregg

Old 03-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The XG32 has a shorter slide with a lot less weight on it than an SV34, BT36 or RS36. Thor also released a new LV35 floorplan with only a single shorter slide like on the XG32.

The shorter and lighter slides tend to do better. They still have the same weaknesses as any other Schwintek slide but the mechanism is not under as much stress. I can't say I have heard anyone with an XG32 complaining a lot about their slide and there tends to be less complaints with the shorter and lighter slides in general.

It comes down to several questions you have to ask yourself....

- Does the slide move in and out freely with no signs or sounds of the motors struggling to extend or retract the slide?

- How mechanically inclined are you and could you change a slide motor or other parts if you needed to?

- If you had to release the motors out of the bearing blocks to push the slide in manually, will you typically be somewhere that two or three people could help you push it back in if it fails?

- How long do you intend to keep the coach?

- If you have issues and want to have the Vroom System installed, are you willing to make the 17-hour trip back at that point? (Personally I would not spend any money fixing a Schwintek slide beyond replacing a motor or controller. Once the repair price tag goes north of $1000, its time for Vroom.)

LiFePO4 batteries are lighter than lead acid so you won't a bunch more weight. But your bigger challenge will be routing the wiring so that it does not interfere with the slide operation or get caught and pinched, etc.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If it isn't broke, don't "fix" it. I had the full wall slide for 4 years with zero issues. I was prepared for the "Judge Route" if any issues started but I was lucky.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:43 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #21864
I have a XG32 and the slides work fine. They are a lot more durable than when I had a Berkshire with Similar slides.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:27 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
I just scheduled with Vroom for November for both slides. The lighter Bed slide is creating the problem now, looking at doing a parts overhaul on that one just to get through the 9 months to replace them both.
The longer 14' slide is starting to do the same, wear marks on the rack teeth with the motor starting to pull up a bit from the bearing block. Indicators of future problems that is not needed.
Anybody that has these should be inspecting very frequently in my opinion, in my case the rough roads in Texas and the Southwest did them in.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:28 AM   #6

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Well, I'll be the bearer of bad news. I've been living in my 2020 XG32 since May of 2021. We travelled to the northwest from FL all last year and my big slide is showing some stress on the mechanism. Now, we did have more than 50 stops last year, so it got a workout to say the least. One of the guide rollers on the middle track is trying to come off but it is sandwiched in there and I keep it well lubed, so it doesn't create friction and bind up. The rivet heads on the two bottom (one on each side) guide blocks (whatever they are called), have popped off, but the rivet body remains.
I have noticed that if the coach is the slightest bit unlevel, that is where the stress comes into play. I spend extra time leveling, and if I can't level, I leave the slide closed. I am 5'8" and the wife is 5'1", so it is easy for us to get around the two German Shepherds. when we are closed up.
If you are using it occasionally, then I suggest just be cognizant when leveling and don't spend the 4k. I'm scheduled for Oct to get the Vroom on both slides, only because I live in it, and we use them more frequently than others.
Hope that helps. Cheers.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:26 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
The big slide on my XG32 broke 3 times. A small bolt holding the electric motor to a bracket is a terrible design flaw.. I had the slide replaced with the vroom system. I also had the bedroom slide done for peace of mind. The bonus on the bedroom slide, I can put a full size queen memory foam mattress in and the slide will shut without a problem. It just pushes the mattress until it's closed. Being 6'4", the 6'2" "RV Queen" mattress was horrible.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:10 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire View Post
The big slide on my XG32 broke 3 times. A small bolt holding the electric motor to a bracket is a terrible design flaw.. I had the slide replaced with the vroom system. I also had the bedroom slide done for peace of mind. The bonus on the bedroom slide, I can put a full size queen memory foam mattress in and the slide will shut without a problem. It just pushes the mattress until it's closed. Being 6'4", the 6'2" "RV Queen" mattress was horrible.
There are several weaknesses with the Schwintek mechanism but that ridiculous small set-screw to try and hold the motor down and in place is where many failures start.

Vroom hit it out of the park with the way they mount the motor. It will never, ever move under load.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:17 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I HAD an XG32 that I dumped about 15 months ago. The slide was not a ig issue yet but was showing signs of track damage or erosion. If all things were equal the slide system is insufficient for anything much over a bedroom sized slide, ESPECIALLY if there is anything in the slide other than chairs and such. One of the problems also with is is installation error. Thor is sloppy with their building methods so they create a greater chance of problems by not having things aligned properly. IF I had kept the omni, I would have replaced the slide mechanism. But it had so many other deficiencies I got rid of it.

You might be lucky and have one that thor inadvertently installed correctly. But the odds say you don't.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
We were lucky in that ours was in the fairly new production process (early 2018). During the R&D process, there were a lot of "brass hats" on the floors watching and learning the build process. The engineer told me this during a private tour of the new at the time Plant 250, dedicated at that time to the Super C. Lots of bolts were used that eventually found way to saving money as they were replaced with screws, etc. We never had issues with the slides but I knew it was just a matter of time. Slides were the only thing that took minutes off my life every time I activated them. I gave up lots of space when I traded but I can't tell you enough how wonderful it feels to not have slides anymore. Had we not traded I would have gone the route Judge took. That expense combined with all the other 4 year old issues around the corner dictated trading.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:53 PM   #11
TLW

State: Texas
THOR #10074
I have a 2015 Challenger been full timing it for 2yrs plus and frequently don’t level Had no issues with swintech slides. We have a long slide on the passenger side. I have an appointment with Vroom in Sept but the price has gone up to 4,300 a slide so having second thoughts