Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #23248
Water heater bypass 2020 thir 28z

My hot water heater is under the sink, but how do I access it to dewinterize. The owners manual is pretty useless.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Don’t have your model but the bypass valves will be right at the back of the tank. There will be an access panel under the sink somewhere. Might need a screwdriver to remove it.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #23248
Response from Warranty Dept

The warranty department read my post and ask me to contact them, which I did and got this final response:

"Thank you for contacting Customer Care at Thor Motor Coach.

It does appear the best access would be under the sink. Unfortunately, our schematics do not indicate where an access point would be. You may even have to create your own access point to the water heater. I have attached the coach schematics above incase the could be useful to you."
Old 05-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well that’s pretty absurd! Nevertheless, if you have any need to ever winterize there is no alternative to accessing the bypass valves. They WILL be very near the back of the water heater (probably off to one side a bit) and you’ll need access sufficient to get your hand on all the valves (there probably will be three of them but some systems have two or even just one). My Thor had a wood panel held on by four screws. Eventually I just left the panel off all the time since it was in a cabinet under the sink and didn’t show anyway. If you have to cut access at least it’s likely that it will be easy as the panel involved is quite thin. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
djr

State: Arizona
THOR #19612
The bypass valves for 28z are in front of water heater under the sink. Remove two or 3 small wood screws in the panel on the left side and remove the panel. You will see the hot & cold pipes and valves. It is a little cramped under there.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
djr is correct. I have the same model and year. The access panel is below the sink on the left. There are four screws that need to be removed. Here's the kicker; that panel was installed before the plumbing (at least mine must have been). I was barely able to get it out without breaking it in half. As it was, I literally had to bend the panel to get it out. That or take the sink trap apart. Before reinstalling, I cut it so that I only have to remove one side next time.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
We have a 2015 28Z. The access panel for ours is held to the floor with two screws.

I'll send a picture when get her back.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
We have a 2015 28Z. The access panel for ours is under the sink and held to the floor with two screws.

I'll send a picture when get her back.

You can reach up and over put it's a pain.