Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2021, 03:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: California
THOR #21216
Water pooling on the floor behind shower

We have a 2021 Magnitude SV34 and have had a few minor problems. We are in Palm Springs, CA where it is hot and very windy. Coming back from playing golf, we discovered a pool of water at the base of the wall behind the shower at the door jamb. Not a lot, but concerning. Both a/c units working hard and short early morning showers (water pooling does not occur during showers). Thinking about a leak at the pex connection to the mixing valve or at the tub base/wall panel? A/c condensate? Anyone have the same problem or other thoughts? Appreciate the help!

Old 04-10-2021, 04:25 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Are you on city water or the house pump? If you want to see if it is a leak turn off the city water and turn on the pump. If the pump cycles every now and then you are leaking water pressure somewhere.
As an aside whenever both the wife and I leave the coach at the same time and no one is home we either turn off the water pump when not on hook ups or shut off the city water to the coach. Years ago we had a leak develop while we were gone for the day and caused quite a mess that older rig had a carpet that we had to pull up and replace.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:51 AM   #3

THOR #21216
We are on city water. The water pump does run for hot water. We will switch to fresh water tank and water pump and see if it cycles. Thanks for the response and suggestion.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a 2020 SV34..... based on where the leak is coming from I think there are two possibilities.

One is the cartridge in the mixing valve may not be tight enough and the water is leaking from it and running behind the shower and down the wall. I had this happen on the faucet of my bathroom sink.

The other is either the hot or cold pex connection going into the mixing valve is not tight enough and leaking.

Both would be easy to troubleshoot. You can remove the handle on the mixing valve to see how tight the cartridge is and if you can see any water there. If not, you can remove the mixing vale and check the water lines. There is enough PEX to pull the mixing valve out of the wall.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #5

THOR #21216
Thanks for the reply Judge. I opened up the mixing valve box and turned on the water - no leaks at the shower valve. There are two white pex lines in the wall than run vertically in the same area as the pex for the mixing valve. Could these be condensate lines from the a/c units? I also took off the access panel below the shower pan and as far as I could see - which was not much due to the shower pan support framing, all was dry. With the water off and the a/c units running during the night, there was still water ponding at the base of the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	29725  
Old 04-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Water pooling on the floor behind shower

On my 2020 SV34 there are no condensant drains. The A/C units simply drain onto the roof and then usually drips down the side if the coach where you don’t want it to.

Now it is possible they did something different on the newer models... but i’d be surprised.

At the base of the shower the PEX might have 90 degree elbows and its possible one of those fittings is leaking.

The other possibility is the A/C mounting screws are loose (mine were) and maybe condensant is leaking in as a result.

I’ll give you one other long shot..... I had water leaking under my slide in front of the stove which opposite the shower wall. Turned out the ice maker line in the fridge was not fully seated in the relay and leaking slowly. Was I fixed that issue I had no more water in that area.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #7

THOR #21216
The leak is coming from the backflow preventer of the black tank flush line. The line runs behind the shower valve supply lines and is accessible by removing the shower valve assembly by removing the four screws. Interesting.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFWSV34 View Post
The leak is coming from the backflow preventer of the black tank flush line. The line runs behind the shower valve supply lines and is accessible by removing the shower valve assembly by removing the four screws. Interesting.
Ahhh..... I forgot about that one! I had that happen on my 2018 Outlaw 29H when I bought it new.

Thor has had issues with either bad valves or actually installing them backwards. But in both these cases they leak inside the coash when using the San-T-Flush for the black tank.

In my Outlaw it flooded the inside of the coach the first time I used the San-T-Flush. They actually had to cut a hole in the outer shower wall and create an access panel to get to it and replace it.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had a bad vacuum break valve in the tank flush system when new too. A big wet mess. Cheap plastic thing. I decided to abandon it and bypassed all of its lines. I was able to insert a Sharkbite one way valve into the existing PEX lines where I abandoned the lines to and from the valve (which was in the bathroom). I understand the purpose of the valve under code but it doesn’t really seem necessary to me since there is zero chance of back flow contamination of any water source. There is a dedicated water inlet for the flush system and I only flush for a few minutes with me paying attention. And there is a one way valve in the spray head at the tank plus the one I used to splice the lines. No problems since.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #10

Model: Quantum
State: Georgia
THOR #21169
Water Leak

This is a different problem because it occurred during showers, but ... The shower stall in our pre-owned 2017 Quantum KM24 leaked during showers. We found that bottom part of the shower had never been RTV'd. The rest of the shower had, but not around the bottom. Yes, really. We fixed it and notified Thor but they didn't have much interest. The unit had previously been owned by two women and we're guessing they didn't have many of the skills needed for RV maintenance, because they sold it after one long trip, probably because of the many small issues we found and fixed ourselves. Fortunately, both my husband and I are former race drivers with a lot of skills and tools.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklesmom View Post
This is a different problem because it occurred during showers, but ... The shower stall in our pre-owned 2017 Quantum KM24 leaked during showers. We found that bottom part of the shower had never been RTV'd. The rest of the shower had, but not around the bottom. Yes, really. We fixed it and notified Thor but they didn't have much interest. The unit had previously been owned by two women and we're guessing they didn't have many of the skills needed for RV maintenance, because they sold it after one long trip, probably because of the many small issues we found and fixed ourselves. Fortunately, both my husband and I are former race drivers with a lot of skills and tools.
Be careful sealing the pan to the shower panels. It can cause mold and mildew. The pan sides run up behind the wall panels.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:47 AM   #12

Model: Quantum
State: Georgia
THOR #21169
Not so on ours

On our shower, the pan sides abutted to the shower walls. They did not overlap.

Tags
pooling water