Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano 24tt
State: Virginia
THOR #19471
Water in storage bays

2021 Thor Delano 24tt. Been x-country 2 times now and each time both storage bays on both sides get water in them, either from wet roads (I doubt it) or (more likely) water overflow from tanks. Anyone had this problem, and how did you diagnose and fix.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Drive a while with the tanks not overflowing?

Edit
Pm quote from the op.

48 AM
JGFairfax

IF your reply was supposed to be helpful, you missed the mark. Get a life.

Read it as:
'I am so embarrassed! I just hadn't thought to do the obvious. Thanks!'!

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:40 AM   #3

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFairfax View Post
2021 Thor Delano 24tt. Been x-country 2 times now and each time both storage bays on both sides get water in them, either from wet roads (I doubt it) or (more likely) water overflow from tanks. Anyone had this problem, and how did you diagnose and fix.
That one is head scratcher. Is the water there only after driving? or do you notice it after being parked over night?
I had a storage bay that kept getting water in it, not all the time but sometimes. Thought it was from rain until I noticed the water several days in a row while camped and no rain. Water from the a/c was running down a trim piece and into the bay.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

THOR #19471
Jerk Should be Barred

This guy should be barred from the forum.
People post here for assistance.
This guy posts here for sport.
As it happens, water problem is on both sides, and i never travel with full water tanks.
But instead of asking a question or making any helpful suggestion, duckface tries to embarrass.
Im way too old to care about saving face; i was looking for some help.
What a jerk.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

THOR #19471
Thanks KWPLOT34

Good idea, and i'll check AC, but I'd think that might cause an issue on one side, but not both.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #6

THOR #4243
Quote:
Good idea, and i'll check AC, but I'd think that might cause an issue on one side, but not both.
You are correct, the water from the a/c does usually drain off of just one side. I'm not familiar with your RV on how the storage bays are made or what might be above them. Do you have any pic's you could post?
Old 09-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #7

THOR #4243
Quote:
As it happens, water problem is on both sides, and i never travel with full water tanks.
But instead of asking a question or making any helpful suggestion, duckface tries to embarrass.
What a jerk.
Yes he is, you might want to just put him on Ignore.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:15 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Kind of scared to ask questions or to respond, but you asked if we had the leak and how did we diagnose.

I had the water leaking in my lower compartment driver side. I first noticed at a gas station while waiting on the gas tank to fill.

1. I ruled out rain as no rain present for several days.
2. I checked for smell, freshwater, gray or black? Ruled out black as water was clear, but I could NOT tell if it was Fresh or Gray.
3. Checked my tank levels (I did for real) Gray was Full, Fresh was showing 1/3rd tank
4. I decided to continue the trip home (I was bout 3 hours away)
5. Drained the Gray tank & cleaned it all out with wet vac and left all compartment doors open for it do get air overnight and the next day it was bone dry.
6. You may not like this one, but I did exactly what that Damn Duck guy told you to do which was to "Drive it a while with the (Gray) tanks not overflowing (Empty)?" Of course it remained dry; so I knew my gray tank was leaking at some point after the 2/3rd mark.
7. I took it back to the Dealer as my coach was under warranty as it sounds like yours should be. I told them specifically what I experienced and diagnosed, within an hour they call me back and said a fitting above the tank had sprung loose, the water sloshing around while driving with a close to Full or Full tank was the issue. They fixed it under warranty and I picked my coach up 2 days later.

In my case it did not leak on both sides nor did it go into more than one lower bay compartment, but it could have easily based on the design of another coach.

I was very glad I had the issue when I did to have it fixed with warranty. Oddly we knew the Gray tank was full, but we ASSUMED the bathroom sink was draining to the black tank, we kept using bath sink for about 2 days when gray was full. Our SOB coach is plumbed so the bathroom sink goes to the gray tank

Since then I have mastered how to access all of my coaches wiring & plumbing diagrams to assist with diagnosis such as this.

Good luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #9

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Not sure they have a vent on the tank but if they do, and the tank is very full, maybe is is splashing out?
Old 09-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #10

THOR #21176
On my new 24.1 I had bad caulking between the frame of the storage bay doors and the side of the coach which was allowing water into the bays.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My bays are made of plastic with a screw in drain plug. I found that if that plug is not tight, driving a while in hard rain causes it to seep water into the bays. I also found a back bay that didn’t completely seal if it wasn’t key locked.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
What a jerk.
Duckie can be very straight forward sometimes. Sounding like a jerk. But I think he was giving you sound advice that sounded like a jerk.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Edit
Pm quote from the op.

48 AM
JGFairfax

Read it as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Duckie can be very straight forward sometimes. Sounding like a jerk. But I think he was giving you sound advice that sounded like a jerk.
I agree the Damn Duck readings can be cryptic at times, but if you look at post #1 and post #2; I agree that The Duck was just giving sound advice. Although I didn't see the jerk part? Basically he just stated a diagnostic step which the OP had asked for and that the OP said was "more likely" the problem. I think the OP's PM to The Duck telling him to "get a life" is what may have set him off.

Oddly I had similar issue and my diagnostic included the same thing and it proved to me that I had a leak when tank was full. You provided equally good feedback as to how the water may have got in the bay by rains, but the OP dismissed that in his very 1st post. The OP has not been back, but in my view for someone to be asking for help, he was a tad over sensitive to what he asked which was how to diagnose to fix.

Maybe we will need to work on The Duck's Cryptonese on another day but for this topic, I thought it was quite clear on what to do to diagnose.

Analogy...

If I told you I saw water in the basement under our shower it may be from rains, leaking fresh water tank or more likely the shower. Then you respond for me to try without the shower running Somehow I get offended to send you a PM to get a life
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #14

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Edit
Pm quote from the op.

48 AM
JGFairfax

Read it as:
Hard to admit but occasionally duckface has some real answers but most often his responses are sarcastic and a waist of time. For the most part this is a great place for helpful answers. Welcome aboard and hopefully with some help you can resolve your water issue.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #15

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
I had the same problem with a 2014 24 c look where the connect to the door and reseal or maybe seal it. At night put a light in the bay and sut the door and see if you can see the light. I can't belive after 8 years they have not fixed the problem.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Had water leaking into the storage bays of our 30FE. Discovered that when it rained, water running down the side of the RV was getting past the door seals.
Tried adjusting the latches for a better fit but that only worked partially.
I ended up drilling several 3/16” holes in the bottom of the storage bays where the water would pool.
This seems to have solved the problem of standing water. I’ve seen no evidence of water ingress from the holes I drilled.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Had water leaking into the storage bays of our 30FE. Discovered that when it rained, water running down the side of the RV was getting past the door seals.
Tried adjusting the latches for a better fit but that only worked partially.
I ended up drilling several 3/16” holes in the bottom of the storage bays where the water would pool.
This seems to have solved the problem of standing water. I’ve seen no evidence of water ingress from the holes I drilled.
For thise of you who want to try this but aren't sute of an open hole
Look up
Scupper valve.