Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29 Fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #7532
Weight

I got my number today for my coach it is not a four corner weight steer is 4400 lbs and the drive axles is 8080 lbs to find out how much air i need to put in each tires i now need to divide steer and the drive axles by 2 and then look up on my tire chart. I think the steer axles is the one on the front, drive axles is the one on the rear.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
,.,?!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 12-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
There will be a sticker underneath the drivers left window that gives tire pressures. Go by that. Smarter people than you or me develop that info.

David
Old 12-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's become a mental infection on this site.
If you don't know one axle from the other do not doubt the professionals.

Life can be easy.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:04 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It's become a mental infection on this site.

Life can be easy.
And, I suspect the drive axle has 4 tires where the inside tires determine the pressure of the outers when figuring axle pressures.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:05 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
There will be a sticker underneath the drivers left window that gives tire pressures. Go by that. Smarter people than you or me develop that info.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface;328585[B
]It's become a mental infection on this site.[/B]

Life can be easy.
Maybe we can get AT& T to advertise on this site? It is not that complicated, but some folks make it so with the confusion.

We just got back from a trip; so I checked my air pressure, all 6 tires at 77 psi something. I normally keep them at 82, per my yellow stickers. So I add 5 lbs per tire ( basically 30 extra pounds). Why it that relevant, I just drove 500 miles and could not tell one bit of difference. The person that tells me that they have weigh to the science of it all and believe that a few psi here is going to make a difference ^*&#$%$. If you think about tire pressure increases by up to 10 10 psi when driving anyway!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-29-2021, 02:07 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Just drive...
Old 12-29-2021, 02:33 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just drive...
... and trust the Yellow Stickers confirmed and validated by the Engineering Professionals for each coach? How clever. Do I need to get one of those $600 TPMS systems before driving; so I can fill out the data in my TPS Report
Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-29-2021, 03:16 AM   #9

THOR #7532
I have read that you weight your coach then base on the type or brand of tire you look up the size of the tire on the tire chart and it will tell you how much air you put in your tires.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
I have read that you weight your coach then base on the type or brand of tire you look up the size of the tire on the tire chart and it will tell you how much air you put in your tires.
I have read that too, sure you can do that too. But think about it, unless you have structurally changed the design of the RV, or have excessive overweight condition which exceeds the yellow sticker's OCCC; why would there be any relevant change with the yellow sticker, unless you have reason to believe the yellow sticker for your RV is wrong?

An analogy.

You buy special turf lawn and the nursery provides you instructions to water every other day for 20 minutes and to supply fertilizer once a quarter. However, when you buy the fertilizer you read the label and it says to water daily for 30 minutes for 2 weeks, then 3 to 4 days per week for 6 months and apply fertilizer every other month within 1 week of rains.

It is your lawn, you can do whichever makes you happy. Some folks myself included just don't think it has to be that complicated. I am still waiting on any RV owner to identify a Mfg's make and model of RV where the Yellow sticker is wrong, meaning not safe to be used. If you don't have the yellow sticker call the RV Mfg to get one.

At the same time, if you wish to go through the exercise, there are many that do; don't be discouraged; just know that it is your choice and not a required thing as some try to make it sound as if it is required
Old 12-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
,.,?!
Yep! Might ought to skip this one.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
When we had tractor tractor rigs with multiple axles I set 100 psig as the inflation number for all trailers and drive axles

110 for steer axles

It worked well for many years

No confusion among drivers or rigs

Loads varied from empty to 80k+

Kept it posted at the fuel/service island

Way more issues on RV'S due to under inflation than over
Old 12-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
When we had tractor tractor rigs with multiple axles I set 100 psig as the inflation number for all trailers and drive axles

110 for steer axles

It worked well for many years

No confusion among drivers or rigs

Loads varied from empty to 80k+

Kept it posted at the fuel/service island

Way more issues on RV'S due to under inflation than over
In my opinion, the problem / confusion starts when it is implied that the yellow sticker values are "under inflated" and further stated that "you will never know unless you get a weigh". This confusion results in a number of RV owners trying to drive their recreation vehicle as if it was some large 18 wheel rig hauling steel beams.

I personally believe that every yellow sticker for every specific coach, specific tire and allowed cargo carrying capacity is 100% accurate until someone can prove otherwise. I have posted this request no less than 10 times on this site and no one has ever provided specific proof. (generalities don't count)

1. Year Make Model of Rig?
2. Copy of Yellow Sticker?
3. OEM Tire Mfg?
4. Actual scale weight that proves the Yellow sticker was incorrect?

You also state "Way more issues on RV'S due to under inflation than over"

Of course that statement is true, short of Gas laws relationships, volume, pressure, temperature; tires don't grow air so they can only lose air; and they do so for all sorts of reasons. That fact has nothing to do with what your original set point may have been, yellow sticker or based on some other logic. If the goal is to over inflate tires to account for this phenom simply say so. I don't need a weigh to overinflate my tires.

Speaking of needing a weigh, unless you have fundamentally redesigned your RV, carrying a toad that weight may be questionable, or just wish to do so because you have plenty of time; you do not to weigh because every RV has a certificate of origin document that comes from the RV manufacturer and Chassis Mfg. Both certificates of origin will tell you the exact weighs of the RV / Chassis when it left the Mfg facility. I carry both copies of mine with my insurance and registrations now.

If the above is simply not enough, my maximum allowed axle weights coincide with my maximum allowed OCCC (engineering done for me, not for every RV owner to learn the math). When I compared the theoretical maximum carrying capacity to the my tire Mfg specifications, I get the exact same air pressure as the yellow sticker.

So I conclude, I keep my tire pressures per my yellow sticker and "just drive". If I ever need to load suspicious cargo and potentially overweigh my RV and wish to check, I will; but an overweight RV is a different issue.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
In my opinion, the problem / confusion starts

So I conclude, I keep my tire pressures per my yellow sticker and "just drive". If I ever need to load suspicious cargo and potentially overweigh my RV and wish to check, I will; but an overweight RV is a different issue.
How do you know you are not overweight? Guessing? Just for example if the Tire and Loading sticker says an available CCC of 2000#, where can that weight be loaded? What if the available weight loading reserve is mostly on the front axle and very little on the rear, yet the available compartments are in the rear? Very plausible situation not just a random theory. 13 bucks will let you know.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Wife mows grass... she enjoys that. I put 80psi in RV tires; 33psi in Jeep tires. Hitch up Jeep, put $500 TPMS on dash, load up food, clothes and we're off!! Come home when wife has to go back to work...

Rinse... Repeat... ENJOY!!
Old 12-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
How do you know you are not overweight? Guessing? Just for example if the Tire and Loading sticker says an available CCC of 2000#, where can that weight be loaded? What if the available weight loading reserve is mostly on the front axle and very little on the rear, yet the available compartments are in the rear? Very plausible situation not just a random theory. 13 bucks will let you know.
Glad you asked, because the details of every item in my RV is itemized on another thread, search certificate of origin if you wish to see the data.

I weighed every thing in my coach that was NOT bolted down just to prove I did not need to weigh if that makes sense. I also made assumptions for passengers that I don't have and their luggage and still came up 500 lbs short. I even weighed spare tire, and extra weight of AGM batteries. I should also point out that I always leave with Full fresh water tank and I have 70 gal tank; so that is almost 600 lbs.

But the point most keep missing. The weigh is to ensure safety around axles. I stated if you are weighing to ensure maximum OCCC, that makes sense, but most folks don't have that issue. The concept of adjusting tire pressure based on a weigh each time is well beyond recreational RVing in my opinion. I am not saying to not do it, I am saying it just creates confusion for some because it comes across that you must weigh, or as if it is required. It is NOT.

As far as your other question "What if the available weight loading reserve is mostly on the front axle and very little on the rear, yet the available compartments are in the rear? " That is question for RV Mfg Engineering. They have told me what I can load and did not specify where it must be loaded. If it is not a concern for them, the Dept of Transportation; it is of no concern to me. I think common sense applies. Not trying to fix stupid here.

I will never get a weigh even if free unless pulled over and arrested by Highway Patrol. I will just keep my RV out of Virginia as that is easy enough

But back to my original point, show me where you loaded exactly per specifications and that was wrong. I don't want the hypotheticals, what if, or it could be etc.

You tell me that RV, I may buy one, fill tires and weight to yellow sticker specifications; and then sue the Mfg if it is unsafe.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Wife mows grass... she enjoys that. I put 80psi in RV tires; 33psi in Jeep tires. Hitch up Jeep, put $500 TPMS on dash, load up food, clothes and we're off!! Come home when wife has to go back to work...

Yes sir, keep it simple.

I mowed leaves this morning in the rain... I had fun. I put 82 psi in my RV tires (yellow sticker for front and rear tires); 34psi in XT5 tires. No Toad, I bought a $50 TPMS off ebay works off solar and not mounted; so I move it around, works fine, but last trip I didn't use because the RV had been parked a while and it got no solar to charge. When I got home I needed 5 psi / tire.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #18

THOR #7532
As i understand one person view, you go by the yellow tag on the driverside door. I have read other post who said that each axles weather the front or rear has a weight limit max do this apply to a class c motorhome or not, or is it just for diesel pusher?
Old 12-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
so what i am hearing here is go by the yellow sticker on my driverside door, i was under the impression that each axle has a max weight limit, or does that just apply to Diesel pusher.
Yes the axle has a Max weight!!! All of that information is on the Yellow sticker. They have done all the engineering for you. Take a picture and post it; blocking out any serial number or confidential information if you have questions about it.

At the end of the day, they tell you exactly what the front & rear axles limits are, air pressure required, and the maximum cargo weight you can carry ( or tow). It is calculated my the RV Manufacturer Engineers.

If you step back and think for moment, as long as you NEVER exceed the maximum Cargo Carrying capacity you will never have any issues with the axles.

Your OCCC is very important number, get that 1st, If it is over 1500 lbs and you a normal person travel luggage wise you ill never exceed those limits.

The air pressure is already factored based on maximum weight allowed for your OEM tires.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Danford50

THOR #7532
weight
why do you have to be rude you idiot

Pm received.
Ignore list inductee.

Newbs;

Use the provided sticker. The argument to not do this cannot be presented as can be seen by the above repsonse.
Once you learn, literally, one end of the coach from the other, we can proceed with axles and weight vs pressure and tire loads.

ps
Even space rockets have +- parameters.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Closed Thread